Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:53 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times

Advertisements

Does anyone do leg presses on a regular basis? I'm going to add them to my routine, either after doing squats of deadlifts. I know that leg presses are no substitute for squats but I guess it can't hurt to start doing them. I tried some the other day and it seems like an auxiliary exercise with some benfits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 05:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Your legs are far stronger than your core (torso/back) are, so merely working on your legs even more is not going to assist in your dead lift and squats. I do not think I have ever even heard of someone who has hams and quads weaker than their core. You would be better off doing rack pulls and vary your squats like front squats and high bar than doing the leg press.

Now, if your quads really are weak and/or you are doing some rehab from an injury, then yea, leg press helps.

But if you want to do it because it is entertaining, then do it, I often do things that have really no direct benefit/horribly inefficient to building strength, but they are just fun to do. But if you are doing the leg press because you think it is the best assistance for the squat and dead lift, I would reconsider.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Your legs are far stronger than your core (torso/back) are, so merely working on your legs even more is not going to assist in your dead lift and squats. I do not think I have ever even heard of someone who has hams and quads weaker than their core. You would be better off doing rack pulls and vary your squats like front squats and high bar than doing the leg press.

Now, if your quads really are weak and/or you are doing some rehab from an injury, then yea, leg press helps.

But if you want to do it because it is entertaining, then do it, I often do things that have really no direct benefit/horribly inefficient to building strength, but they are just fun to do. But if you are doing the leg press because you think it is the best assistance for the squat and dead lift, I would reconsider.
I'm very satisfied with my squat, not so much with the deadlift. At any rate, I don't think the leg press will boost either lift. I don't like the high bar squat but will probably start doing front squats soon. IMO, the leg press isn't any worse than some other isolation exercises that I do like bicep curls. It's something to do and will probably add some definition to my quads.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 PM

419 posts, read 1,238,652 times
Leg press is a compound exercise. You can severely pound the snot out of yourself if you do them properly. Squats and Dead lifts don't necessarily have to by the holy grail of body building. There are many strong as an ox individuals out there who never do squats or dead lifts. Saying leg presses are an isolation exercise is like saying bench presses, cable rows and chin ups are isolation exercises. There are no weight lifting exercises that do not have any benefit, not one.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:18 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
I do leg presses and leg extensions for one reason. My right knee is bad from a torn meniscus. Those two exercises allow me to exercise one leg at a time. After I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee, I had to take the pin out to do let extensions with my right leg; right leg press wasn't much better.

I'm having trouble with squats since I can't bend my right knee all the way. Deadlifts are not affected.

There is really no comparison between leg presses and squats or deadlifts. Leg presses never make me sore. If I go much longer than a week without doing squats and deadlifts, I have trouble walking for a couple days.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
Leg press is a compound exercise. You can severely pound the snot out of yourself if you do them properly. Squats and Dead lifts don't necessarily have to by the holy grail of body building. There are many strong as an ox individuals out there who never do squats or dead lifts. Saying leg presses are an isolation exercise is like saying bench presses, cable rows and chin ups are isolation exercises. There are no weight lifting exercises that do not have any benefit, not one.
The leg press is mainly a quad exercise with some help from the glutes and hamstrings. It's not a true compound exercise in the sense that the squat and deadlift are. It's a machine exercise that works far less muscles than either of those lifts.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:20 PM

419 posts, read 1,238,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The leg press is mainly a quad exercise with some help from the glutes and hamstrings. It's not a true compound exercise in the sense that the squat and deadlift are. It's a machine exercise that works far less muscles than either of those lifts.

I never said it was comparable to a squat, but it is absolutely a compound exercise. If you don't get sore doing leg presses, trying switching up and doing a set of 50 with a lighter weight, or have a helper help you lift it back up after total muscle failure and focus on negatives. I can guarantee you there are ways to do things on a leg press that will have your legs trembling on the way to the parking lot and crippled with soreness the next day. Yes, squats are great, but so are many other exercises if you leave your ego at the door and do the exercises properly. My gym has been incredibly busy due to Spring Break and at the times I have been able to get there. You can forget about doing dead lifts or squats unless you feel like standing next to a gang of Jersey Shore dudes until you finally get a turn. I've had to work around the squat racks being taken on many occasions and still get a great workout in. Again, MANY guys don't do squats and/or dead lifts and they can still pick a car up to change a flat tire if they had to.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
I like leg presses a lot. My gym actually has a "plate-loaded squat press" machine, but it's basically the same thing. My gym also doesn't have a squat rack, so that's why I typically do leg press. However, since my goal is improvement of my cycling -- particularly mountain biking -- I find that the added emphasis on quads on leg press is a good thing.

It's popular fodder for people on the internet to act as though the squat is the only leg exercise worth mentioning, but that's simply not the case. There are a lot of good ways to work your legs, and leg press is one of them.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:50 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
I used to do them but not anymore. Nothing to do with the leg press itself, just that I only do squats for my lower body so don't want to do another exercise.

Is the Leg Press Worthless?

http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com...achine-Q-A.cfm

Old 03-28-2015, 08:13 PM

After doing a little more research I've decided to incorporate the good morning into my routine instead of the leg press. It's a better compliment to squats and deadlifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness