Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 03:20 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
We wish. It's all over the place! It's yahoo and MSN front page stuff so even if we don't read the articles, the messages have already reached the brain.
Why do you go to junk websites like that? If a website has a bunch of celebrity gossip on its main page, I don't go there. I actually have a Chrome extension that allows me to block such sites. Daily Mail was the first to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I always find it interesting, that the majority of people only want to get in shape to attract the opposite sex, and not for their own health.
Correction: Young males who are looking to get buff are only in it to attract the opposite sex.

The truth is that a 160 pound male with 10% BF is no less healthy than a 190 pound male with 10% BF. Lifting to get huge is about looks, not health.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:37 PM

112 posts, read 112,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Correction: Young males who are looking to get buff are only in it to attract the opposite sex.

The truth is that a 160 pound male with 10% BF is no less healthy than a 190 pound male with 10% BF. Lifting to get huge is about looks, not health.
Unless they are legit bodybuilders, like ronnie coleman or arnold.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:04 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
I don't really care if "dad bods" are in or out. I know what I like my body to look like and I go with that.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:
I always find it interesting, that the majority of people only want to get in shape to attract the opposite sex, and not for their own health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post

It's a macho thing. Larger well defined muscles and physical strength are a status symbol among men as much as they are a way to attract women. It's just another way guys keep score with each other.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:08 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
It's all about how you feel about yourself. Maybe about how the people you care about feel about you, although to a lesser amount. I wouldn't let an Internet article sway you one way or the other.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:40 AM

112 posts, read 112,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It's just another way guys keep score with each other.
"do you even lift brah"

Old 05-11-2015, 02:33 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I doubt that. Rich guys with questionable personalities will do better than broke, nice guys every time. Money trumps everything in this world.
And the truth is finally out. Most women I know turn frustrated and red in the face when this comes up, but they know it's true, and most will even admit it.

In high school, abs and looks matter. To a smaller degree in college, as the dating pool shrinks. By the time our ladies are out in the work place, like me, the body means less. But physical attraction still trumps most for us, whilst MONEY wins in the end with women later in life.

FYI, I believe this also passes. Say, if a woman were to become divorced or widowed at some point, mere companionship matters the most. WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED IT?!?

Last edited by ashpelham; 05-11-2015 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 03:00 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,472,831 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with that. I mean, if the byproduct of working out is being healthy, that's just gravy. But, think about it, a lot of things we do in life is about attracting the opposite sex. Especially when we're younger. Improving our financial standings, the car we drive, the place we live, our bodies....it all goes back to wanting to be as attractive, physically, financially, and socially, as possible. Even if we're happily married, we never like the idea of not being attractive to anyone else but our mate. We like the idea of others kind of "coveting" us, whether if we intend for this to happen or not.

As we get older though, that tends to fade, and the exercise becomes more about being healthy and staying alive.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Nothing wrong with that. I mean, if the byproduct of working out is being healthy, that's just gravy. But, think about it, a lot of things we do in life is about attracting the opposite sex. Especially when we're younger. Improving our financial standings, the car we drive, the place we live, our bodies....it all goes back to wanting to be as attractive, physically, financially, and socially, as possible. Even if we're happily married, we never like the idea of not being attractive to anyone else but our mate. We like the idea of others kind of "coveting" us, whether if we intend for this to happen or not.

As we get older though, that tends to fade, and the exercise becomes more about being healthy and staying alive.
My only problem with this scenario is that health and appearance are often conflated when describing the virtues of working out. A lot of young guys who lift seem to think that getting buff makes them healthier. This seems to be a sentiment shared by a lot of people. Going from a normal amount of muscle to a larger amount of muscle, assuming the same percentage of body fat, doesn't make one healthier. It just makes him stronger and larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness