Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:29 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,181,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
One article? Do you even internet? This is the new hot thing.

Beer bellies are in, biceps are out: introducing the 'Dad Bod'
"Internet" is a noun, not a verb. If you wanted us to be aware of more than just the article you posted, you should have included more in your first post than just a link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,027 times
It was an interesting article...because although I'm not a dad yet, I can relate.

Given the fact that most men aren't chiseled and don't have a 6 pack, I'm surprised that it took this long to make something tacit explicit; that women find regular men attractive.

As a man, I find "regular" women attractive all of the time and do not find skinny supermodels that attractive.

Its just been, for the past 30-40 years the media and society makes us think that "fit" looks a certain way. And in a way they're right, but in another way you can be somewhat fit, and wanted by the opposite (or same) sex and not have to look like a magazine ad.

I think the take away is that "normal" or "not ripped" is OK for men. And it should be for women as well.

(...regular in this case is working out occasionally and not being too overweight.)

Old 05-07-2015, 09:54 AM

438 posts, read 654,167 times
The concept of the 'dad bod' is ridiculous. Live your life and be happy.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
It is kind of funny how the bar is continuously raised for women, but now it's a thing for guys to embrace being flabby and out of shape.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:52 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,615 times
I don't know, the kind of body they are talking about doesn't necessarily strike me as flabby and out of shape. It strikes me as "normal" and possibly in decent shape, possibly not. For the most part, absent genetics, ripped is not the preferred natural state of the human body. The body prefers to hold a little fat. There's plenty of people who work out regularly and are quite healthy, and aren't ripped. Depending on how much muscle they carry, they may or may not have visible abs, but they aren't shredded. Granted, the article is tongue in cheek, and goes a bit far, probably on purpose. But I think it's based on some truth.

See, the thing is, I'm sure some women equate shredded with boring. Who wants to date a guy who looks great, but can't eat anything but broccoli and boneless skinless chicken because he has to maintain 6% bodyfat. Some women might prefer a dude who is in pretty good shape, works out, likes to hike, etc, but still is good to hit the Friday happy hour hard, or go out to eat on the weekends.

I myself am going for visible abs, but don't have much interest in trying to get shredded. My goal is 10-12% probably. That I feel I can maintain with some semblance of a normal social life. Sub-10, not so much.

And to be clear, I feel similar about women. I love to eat out, drink with friends, and so forth. I want a girl into fitness, a girl who cares about health and how she looks -- but not someone so set on "shredded" that they can't let loose sometimes.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
I don't know, the kind of body they are talking about doesn't necessarily strike me as flabby and out of shape. It strikes me as "normal" and possibly in decent shape, possibly not. For the most part, absent genetics, ripped is not the preferred natural state of the human body. The body prefers to hold a little fat. There's plenty of people who work out regularly and are quite healthy, and aren't ripped. Depending on how much muscle they carry, they may or may not have visible abs, but they aren't shredded. Granted, the article is tongue in cheek, and goes a bit far, probably on purpose. But I think it's based on some truth.
Key word is "little".

Quote:
See, the thing is, I'm sure some women equate shredded with boring. Who wants to date a guy who looks great, but can't eat anything but broccoli and boneless skinless chicken because he has to maintain 6% bodyfat. Some women might prefer a dude who is in pretty good shape, works out, likes to hike, etc, but still is good to hit the Friday happy hour hard, or go out to eat on the weekends.
No, it does not work that way, but thanks for trying.

Quote:
I myself am going for visible abs, but don't have much interest in trying to get shredded. My goal is 10-12% probably. That I feel I can maintain with some semblance of a normal social life. Sub-10, not so much.
Oh, so you are "going" for visible abs, not there yet? You think people cannot have low body fat and "normal" lives?

Quote:
And to be clear, I feel similar about women. I love to eat out, drink with friends, and so forth. I want a girl into fitness, a girl who cares about health and how she looks -- but not someone so set on "shredded" that they can't let loose sometimes.
Again, this is not how any of this works.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:38 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
It is kind of funny how the bar is continuously raised for women, but now it's a thing for guys to embrace being flabby and out of shape.
What's funny is that women see this as some conspiracy against them by a patriarcal society when in fact:

- women are more influential than men in determining societal standards of beauty.

- sexual attraction is mostly driven by biology. People can't just decide to find a certain type of body sexy based on logical arguments about fairness.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:42 PM

104 posts, read 175,196 times
The examples used to represent "Dad Bod", ie. Liam Neeson, Chris Pratt, Jon Hamm, etc., don't scream "beer belly" to me. There have been plenty of "heartthrobs" over the years that didn't sport six-pack abs.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:42 PM

112 posts, read 112,195 times
Quote:
It is kind of funny how the bar is continuously raised for women,
did i miss something? has the bar been raised past "not fat"?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
Women are all about guys with jobs and that can take care of them, as long as you are in decent shape and have an average personality you should be able to date a lot of hot women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness