Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:32 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,472,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
My only problem with this scenario is that health and attraction are often conflated when describing the virtues of working out. A lot of young guys who lift seem to think that getting buff makes them healthier. These seems to be a sentiment shared by a lot of people. Going from a normal amount of muscle to a larger amount of muscle, assuming the same percentage of body fat, doesn't make one healthier. It just makes him stronger and larger.
Which for a great majority of guys, looking stronger and larger is their main goal. Stronger and larger equates to having more power and respect. More power and respect equates to more money, and all of that somehow equates back to being more sexy, which equates to having more sex. That's why I say, it all hinges on sex.

Younger guys who lift are doing it to attract the women. Health is further from their minds. Older guys who are married and in my age group start to see that they are in that age range where heart attack and stroke start to become more of a reality, and we're all pretty much married by my age, so we do start to look at working out more for the health benefits. We also look at the health benefits more because darn it, it gets tougher to achieve that sought after physique that our younger counterparts seem to achieve easier and quicker. It's the natural progression of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:59 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
I don't know, the kind of body they are talking about doesn't necessarily strike me as flabby and out of shape. It strikes me as "normal" and possibly in decent shape, possibly not. For the most part, absent genetics, ripped is not the preferred natural state of the human body. The body prefers to hold a little fat. There's plenty of people who work out regularly and are quite healthy, and aren't ripped. Depending on how much muscle they carry, they may or may not have visible abs, but they aren't shredded. Granted, the article is tongue in cheek, and goes a bit far, probably on purpose. But I think it's based on some truth.

See, the thing is, I'm sure some women equate shredded with boring. Who wants to date a guy who looks great, but can't eat anything but broccoli and boneless skinless chicken because he has to maintain 6% bodyfat. Some women might prefer a dude who is in pretty good shape, works out, likes to hike, etc, but still is good to hit the Friday happy hour hard, or go out to eat on the weekends.

I myself am going for visible abs, but don't have much interest in trying to get shredded. My goal is 10-12% probably. That I feel I can maintain with some semblance of a normal social life. Sub-10, not so much.

And to be clear, I feel similar about women. I love to eat out, drink with friends, and so forth. I want a girl into fitness, a girl who cares about health and how she looks -- but not someone so set on "shredded" that they can't let loose sometimes.
Using an extreme example of 6% body fat is pretty inaccurate. 6% body fat isn't required to look fit and toned nor is it even something a person can maintain for an extended period of time. I hover around 11-12% body fat and when I feel the need I certainly go out and eat nice foods. In fact eating is probably one of my favorite things to do period. Don't assume guys in shape with discipline enough to not stuff their face with fatty foods on a regular basis aren't also able to hang out and have wings, pizza, and drinks on occasion. The key is moderation and not indulgence as well as knowing what foods are worth putting in your body and which ones aren't. Like for example I'll pass on 60 grams of sugar from a 20oz soda and choose a pastry from a unique bakery instead if I'm out with some friends.

Now if you're out of shape then it might take you a few months of eating chicken breasts (or other healthy meats) and strictly healthy food and hitting the gym for at least 6 days out of the week to get here but once you're here you'll find that as long as you get a nice workout in 3-4 days out of the week and have a generally healthy diet you can certainly indulge in some wings, pizza, cake, or whatever your vice is a few times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Women are all about guys with jobs and that can take care of them, as long as you are in decent shape and have an average personality you should be able to date a lot of hot women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I doubt that. Rich guys with questionable personalities will do better than broke, nice guys every time. Money trumps everything in this world.
These guys know what's it's all about. Being in shape is nice and definitely a plus but at the end of the day money/financial security is more attractive to women over anything else including personality. If you want the most attractive women, then the most effective to attract them is to grow your bank account.

The whole "dad bod" thing being attractive is laughable to me. There's nothing attractive about being out of shape and that goes for both men and women. I think it has more to do with the fact that like someone said earlier, most guys over 30 tend to let themselves go physically after the metabolism starts to slow down, but consequently guys over 30 are far more likely to have their financial house in order and thus are more attractive for marriage material and relationships than the majority of guys who are in shape (who also tend to be younger, not always but usually). It seems like it's more about making those guys feel better about themselves and the women accepting it but it's certainly not physically attractive.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:53 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
These guys know what's it's all about. Being in shape is nice and definitely a plus but at the end of the day money/financial security is more attractive to women over anything else including personality. If you want the most attractive women, then the most effective to attract them is to grow your bank account.
Except that both clinical studies and real life don't bear this out. I've seen multiple studies where women have ranked the attributes they find attractive in men and wealth usually doesn't even make the top 5. A lot of men who don't understand women don't understand that a man's wealth is usually just an indicator of the other positive attributes (intelligence, ambition) that they do value.

Essentially, wealth is the symptom.

Quote:
The whole "dad bod" thing being attractive is laughable to me. There's nothing attractive about being out of shape and that goes for both men and women. I think it has more to do with the fact that like someone said earlier, most guys over 30 tend to let themselves go physically after the metabolism starts to slow down, but consequently guys over 30 are far more likely to have their financial house in order and thus are more attractive for marriage material and relationships than the majority of guys who are in shape (who also tend to be younger, not always but usually). It seems like it's more about making those guys feel better about themselves and the women accepting it but it's certainly not physically attractive.
Some people were saying that they felt guys who are in great shape might turn off some women because women might think they are boring or have to devote too much time to their physique. I think there is a degree of truth in that, but those people are massively overestimating the time it takes in the gym to get these bodies.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:38 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

Some people were saying that they felt guys who are in great shape might turn off some women because women might think they are boring or have to devote too much time to their physique. I think there is a degree of truth in that, but those people are massively overestimating the time it takes in the gym to get these bodies.
True. I've been working out since I was about 20 and still do at age 48. I hit the gym 4 days per week and I'm in and out in about 45 - 50 minutes each time. Plus I do a 2 mile walk 3 times (more if I find the time) per week and that's about 35 minutes each time. So I spend about 4.5 hours per week on not having a "dad bod". Most people spend way more time than that sitting in their cars each week.

I think at this point the health reasons ARE a big part of why I continue to work out. Plus it's like a natural anti-depressant after workouts, it's just my routine and I usually enjoy being at the gym. And I like that I look good in my clothes and don't have a gut sticking out, or flabby anything. My goal isn't to be ripped or win any contests, just be toned and muscular enough that people can tell I work out.

I can't imagine just giving up and buying larger pants to hold my growing waistline I also think there is some benefit to my health after decades of working out. I don't have to take medication to stay alive, I can be very active with my kids, and I feel the same as I did in my 20s.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:29 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post

Younger guys who lift are doing it to attract the women. Health is further from their minds. Older guys who are married and in my age group start to see that they are in that age range where heart attack and stroke start to become more of a reality, and we're all pretty much married by my age, so we do start to look at working out more for the health benefits. We also look at the health benefits more because darn it, it gets tougher to achieve that sought after physique that our younger counterparts seem to achieve easier and quicker. It's the natural progression of life.

That's kind of a broad generalization, one of the main reasons I workout is because I want to be healthy in my 40's and beyond. I'm sure for some the thought of getting added interest from the opposite sex is the main concern but you'd be surprised at how many younger people nowadays are looking at improving their long-term, as well as short-term outlook.

The thought process of worrying about your health only as you start getting up there in years to me is kind of like foregoing regular oil changes for your car and instead waiting for the engine to start smoking before taking it in. Just within my group of friends, I know there's a lot of concern about our own parents, the difficulties they are experiencing, the amount of medications that they are taking and the attitude seems to be "yeah, I want no part of that for myself."

Old 05-14-2015, 10:27 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Um...hows that working out for ya?

Old 05-15-2015, 05:01 AM

112 posts, read 112,178 times
Suddenly, mom bods!

Women hit back at 'awful dad bod trend' by celebrating 'mom bods' | Daily Mail Online

Old 05-15-2015, 06:23 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,519 times
Every time I hear that term dad bod I think of those publications that show pictures of Jack Nicholson at the beach....making fun of him....he's 78 years old for cripes sake....leave the guy alone!!!!!

Old 05-15-2015, 06:45 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,472,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
That's kind of a broad generalization, one of the main reasons I workout is because I want to be healthy in my 40's and beyond. I'm sure for some the thought of getting added interest from the opposite sex is the main concern but you'd be surprised at how many younger people nowadays are looking at improving their long-term, as well as short-term outlook.

The thought process of worrying about your health only as you start getting up there in years to me is kind of like foregoing regular oil changes for your car and instead waiting for the engine to start smoking before taking it in. Just within my group of friends, I know there's a lot of concern about our own parents, the difficulties they are experiencing, the amount of medications that they are taking and the attitude seems to be "yeah, I want no part of that for myself."
I would probably say you and your friends are more of the exception rather than the rule.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
That's a big part of it for me. I don't want to be taking prescription meds to stay alive. I'm 48, and my BP and cholesterol are perfect. My younger brother has been on meds for both of those for several years now, and he just doesn't care.

It also saves money by remaining healthy since medical care is just stupid expensive. Since I've worked out and watched what I eat for my entire adult life, I would imagine someone who is 48, overweight and bad BP/cholesterol would have a very difficult time getting to where I am, even if they stuck with it and tried their best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness