Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:47 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times

Advertisements

It's happened to me. But very rarely. Stuff thrown includes bottles, cigarettes, water balloons, eggs and rocks. On one occasion I think a driver going the other way shot a BB gun at me while I was cycling. This is from over 40 yrs of cycling, walking or jogging along city streets.

BTW the pickup redneck thing is a stereotype. The cars involved in the above ranged from small sports cars, sedans, coups, SUVs and of course pickups. I myself drive a pickup and am considered a redneck by some and have never thrown anything at anybody while driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 08:18 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
It's happened to me. But very rarely. Stuff thrown includes bottles, cigarettes, water balloons, eggs and rocks. On one occasion I think a driver going the other way shot a BB gun at me while I was cycling. This is from over 40 yrs of cycling, walking or jogging along city streets.

BTW the pickup redneck thing is a stereotype. The cars involved in the above ranged from small sports cars, sedans, coups, SUVs and of course pickups. I myself drive a pickup and am considered a redneck by some and have never thrown anything at anybody while driving.
Yes it is a stereotype and stereotypes are mostly wrong, nothing against pickup drivers in general, I have had several, I also know that lots of red neckish folk are good people.

Still in every incident I have personally been in it has been a red neckish/Bro pick up truck driver. The "Coal Rollin" sort.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:37 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
I regularly walk along major roadways as well as residential streets, and I have NEVER ever had anything thrown at me.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:08 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I regularly walk along major roadways as well as residential streets, and I have NEVER ever had anything thrown at me.
It is cyclists they mostly aim for.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I have had beer bottles and other stuff thrown at me biking in east county San Diego. I think it works like this in the pick up driving red neck brain: Cyclist=Liberal=Commie=wants to take my gun aways
This. Despite what people think about California, get out of the big cities and it's basically back woods Alabama. My husband was a runner for years then switched to cycling. He's had things thrown at him. Weird things like batteries and cokes. He's also had people intentionally swoop up close.

And for the record, he's not a cyclist who drives in the middle of the road, or otherwise slows anyone down. There are just a lot of really sick people out there who would benefit by some therapy.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
When I biked to work in NM (Albuquerque) - crap like that happened all the time. Could not wrap my head around what makes people act like they do. I've also had people get up close, reach out their window and try to grab my bike. It doesn't work that well, but didn't seem to stop them from trying. Who does that?? And yeah, if a day went by without a catcall, it was rare.

Here in the Pac NW, I've never had anything like that happen. Oblivious and/or aggressive drivers - yes, but nothing like I had to deal with in NM.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:31 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
I actually was SHOT AT--or at least I thought so at the time. I was biking down a city street about 1/2 from the police station. Wide street, I was way over by the curb just pumping along, when all of a sudden a car pulls up next to me and the passenger reaches out with a chrome revolver and pumps out 5 quick shots and the car speeds off with driver and passenger just laughing their @sses off.

I slam on my brakes and check myself for bullet holes: none. Couldn't believe it. How could they MISS me? Ran it back through my head and realized that it was a starter pistol: the cylinder didn't go all the way to the barrel.

I look ahead at the car and realize that they're stuck behind 4 cars at a 4-way stop sign about 1/2 block ahead, so I climbed back on and started racing up to them with my tire pump in my hand. JUST as I got there, the car squealed off and almost caused an accident by running the stop sign. Damn.

This was easily within hearing distance of the police station, but nobody came rushing over. Wish I had caught them. That passenger would have received the beating of his life.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:57 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I was walking down a quiet street and a car deliberately swerved to drive over a large puddle and splash water on me. I noticed he pulled into a gas station a block away, and I walked over and had a discussion with him.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM

671 posts, read 901,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I was walking down a quiet street and a car deliberately swerved to drive over a large puddle and splash water on me. I noticed he pulled into a gas station a block away, and I walked over and had a discussion with him.
Did he deny it was on purpose?

Old 06-10-2015, 12:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I have had beer bottles and other stuff thrown at me biking in east county San Diego. I think it works like this in the pick up driving red neck brain: Cyclist=Liberal=Commie=wants to take my gun aways
hahahaha thats hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness