Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:11 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
Sorry Dabeez but I gotta call ya on the grappling comment. I weigh right around 210 lbs. I have been doing NoGi grappling for around 3 years. I roll with some of the women in class and yes I do out-power them, but in any grappling-art, technique far outweighs muscle any day. I have been tapped many times by women, not because I'm overpowered but because they outmaneuvered me. Now sure if the woman is like 100 lbs and isn't good then she will get her butt handed to her, but if she is good she can completely control the situation. I know what you're thinking, well how is she gonna get some big guy down to the ground where she rules. Flying armbar, flying triangle, inside trip, hell she can just pull guard from standing. The whole idea behind grappling is that smaller, less powerful people can defeat larger, stronger people. Now would I recommend a woman or small person to go to any ole bar, pick a fight with someone 100+lbs bigger than them, and go for a flying triangle? Of course not, but I wouldn't recommend them doing the same via striking either.
In the context of a bar fight, do you think that woman would be able to submit you if you were punching her in the face while she was trying to maneuver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 11:00 AM

123 posts, read 534,172 times
But on the same note would she be able to effectively block and counter-strike either? I would think that she would have a greater chance at trying something that the guy/girl wouldn't be expecting...

Old 02-08-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
But on the same note would she be able to effectively block and counter-strike either? I would think that she would have a greater chance at trying something that the guy/girl wouldn't be expecting...
I agree. Her best bet would be to strike first and hard and use the opportunity to get out of the bar or near a bouncer.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times
Best for getting in shape: MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo, Russian Sambo

Best for getting into a bar fight: all of the above

Best for people getting older: all of the above.

There is no magic martial secret for smaller, older or weaker people. A martial art that works on the principles of leverage and application in a 'live' setting (even if training at 20-30% intensity) is far and away more valuable than throwing punches and kicks in the air at 100% intensity.

Long ago, I trained in JKD/Kali and we used to work a lot of knife drills. I was very good at the drills but until I started sparring with them, I didn't develop the attributes (timing, contact sensitivity, anaerobic conditioning, tenacity) to apply the techniques against a resisting opponent.

If you don't apply your art against a resisting opponent in an alive setting, you aren't learning to fight. I know that flies in the face of what many instructors will tell you (we can't spar with this art, it's too 'deadly') but the truth of the matter is that if you set a boxer, Judo blackbelt or BJJ guy (or any other practitioner who trains like an athlete) loose against any of the 'deadly insert dead pattern style here guys', there'd be little if any contest between them. What I am saying goes for Krav Maga too. Unless they train live and against resistance, you'd be better off point sparring.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:24 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
Cool Kali/JKD

NJmmadude interesting that you bring this up.

My husband has always been into the JKD and kali etc. And when we met he invited me to train, and eventually spar with him. And I can see clearly what you are describing with putting it into motion with actual partners to play this out and develop the techniques; live if you will. A big difference.

Especially when I was disarmed by an opponent and the dagger stuck in my foot.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Best for getting in shape: MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo, Russian Sambo

Best for getting into a bar fight: all of the above

Best for people getting older: all of the above.

There is no magic martial secret for smaller, older or weaker people. A martial art that works on the principles of leverage and application in a 'live' setting (even if training at 20-30% intensity) is far and away more valuable than throwing punches and kicks in the air at 100% intensity.

Long ago, I trained in JKD/Kali and we used to work a lot of knife drills. I was very good at the drills but until I started sparring with them, I didn't develop the attributes (timing, contact sensitivity, anaerobic conditioning, tenacity) to apply the techniques against a resisting opponent.

If you don't apply your art against a resisting opponent in an alive setting, you aren't learning to fight. I know that flies in the face of what many instructors will tell you (we can't spar with this art, it's too 'deadly') but the truth of the matter is that if you set a boxer, Judo blackbelt or BJJ guy (or any other practitioner who trains like an athlete) loose against any of the 'deadly insert dead pattern style here guys', there'd be little if any contest between them. What I am saying goes for Krav Maga too. Unless they train live and against resistance, you'd be better off point sparring.
You are exactly right! This is lost on many people. If you don't train under realistic conditions, you are simply training for something different. The reality of real combat with adrenaline, being hit, an opponent that does not want to let you do what you want, tunnel vision etc. is very different from what is taught in many schools.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:35 PM

20 posts, read 130,786 times
You can get the best of both worlds if you can find a Tai Chi instructor that understands the fighting aspect of the movements. The next time you see someone practicing this, imagine them doing it at full speed then you will understand what I mean.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
You can get the best of both worlds if you can find a Tai Chi instructor that understands the fighting aspect of the movements. The next time you see someone practicing this, imagine them doing it at full speed then you will understand what I mean.
Ive met very few people who can fight with their taiji. I've been teaching yang style for about 15 years and can use it to fight but I prefer to use my wing chun for fighting because the "engine" just feels right.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,555 times
Gan Fong Chin was in Boston and in RI for a while but he died back in 1976.

Gan Fong Chin, who opened fire in the Cathay Terrace restaurant in Warwick, RI and killed four people in 1978, was found incompetent to stand trial for nine years. After he was found competent and went to trial, a jury rejected the defense argument that paranoid schizophrenia rendered him incapable of being held criminally accountable and convicted him of first-degree murder. He spent the rest of years in orison until he passed away of old age

Old 12-30-2008, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,555 times
Gan Fong Chin, who opened fire in the Cathay Terrace restaurant in Warwick, RI and killed four people in 1978, was found incompetent to stand trial for nine years. After he was found competent and went to trial, a jury rejected the defense argument that paranoid schizophrenia rendered him incapable of being held criminally accountable and convicted him of first-degree murder. He later died in prison of old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness