Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:14 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Just curious, but do these tend to be younger, single mothers making these sorts of comments?

I ask (fully realizing the blowup that could happen if this were a different subforum) but I noticed that many young (teens and up to about 25 or so) single mothers seem to like to make sniping comments to other mothers who have any semblance of a social life or anything along those lines. Like, you could spend 6 days out of the week dotting on your kids but if you go out on a date on that 7th day you need to put your kids first or your priorities are out of line.

I think some of it is jealousy, but there's aren't aspect to it too, I think.

Yeah, when I had my Mustang GT, I used to get comments like that all the time. Funny enough, they always came from guys with ****ty cars. The guys who had cars as nice or nicer than mine never said things like that.

Yeah, our country has an oddly puritanical view towards most drugs. The funny part is that it's not consistent at all. Take testosterone for low-t or Adderall for ADHD? That's cool. Take either of those to improve athletic performance and now you're next in line to Satan.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think that's a pretty debatable point and there are at least a few arguments in favor or PED using bodybuilding being healthier.
That is right a lot of people make a big fuss over athletes using steroids but don't mind when celebrities use recreational drugs and get arrested, in fact they even glorify them. But anyway good points here. There are many other misconceptions about many athletes and I wish to keep discussing them as we go along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 11:39 AM

440 posts, read 377,947 times
I asked a question, I am very interested in reading answers, especially from those involved in the activity.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:54 AM

756 posts, read 834,380 times
Cool Body Builders And Other Athletes Are Not Stupid:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Hey folks let's talk about this for a moment. How many of you have heard negative comments from people about bodybuilders and other athletes weather they are professional or not or even about regular dedicated gym goers. I know I have especially in the media and on commercials such as Planet Fitness ads as well as right here in City Data. I will only share 2 misconceptions at least for now so other member can contribute their own too.

Misconception #1 Bodybuilders and and other athletes are dumb. They are all muscles and no brain. All they do is eat, sleep and train.

Misconception #2 Bodybuilders, pro wrestler and other athletes have no life outside their sport or fitness style and have no social skills.

Well I disagree with those misconceptions. To start with many bodybuilders, pro wrestlers football players and other ahletes are very smart, well educated and very sucessful in other fields inside and outside of their sports or disiplines. Arnold Shwarzenegger is a prime example, he went from being a young unknown soldier in Austria to becoming a 7 time Mr Olympia and one of Hollywood's highest paid actors as well as the governor of California. I know of many others just like him who have reached success and clearly defy those misconceptions. Also I know quite a few people who are very dedicated to fitness who are also very sociable and have good lives outside of fitness. I myself love bodybuilding and fitness although I look nothing like the big guys. I have a life and do many of the same things that people who have never exercise before do.
So how about you folks? Share your experiences and views. I look forward to hearing from you.
I do not have many problems with Body Builders And Other Athletes. Many athletes do it be cause they care about their health. How would this make them stupid?!

Old 08-15-2015, 06:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Just curious, but do these tend to be younger, single mothers making these sorts of comments?

I ask (fully realizing the blowup that could happen if this were a different subforum) but I noticed that many young (teens and up to about 25 or so) single mothers seem to like to make sniping comments to other mothers who have any semblance of a social life or anything along those lines. Like, you could spend 6 days out of the week dotting on your kids but if you go out on a date on that 7th day you need to put your kids first or your priorities are out of line.

I think some of it is jealousy, but there's aren't aspect to it too, I think.
You know, oddly enough it's mostly women my own age (30s and 40s)... and part of that mindset comes from seeing someone with the same set of responsibilities manage to ditch the excuses and make the time to stay in shape. And seriously, they all also have one major help that I don't have: family around to babysit for free. In their eyes I might be shirking responsibilities, but they don't see the fancy footwork behinds the scenes that goes into prioritizing everyone's needs beforehand, and multitasking the hell out of life. Seriously, it adds up to 4 or 5 measly hours per week, tops; they probably spend more than that posting on Facebook and browsing Pinterest.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 08-15-2015 at 07:06 AM..

Old 08-15-2015, 06:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
And they also frown upon anyone who has the discipline and desire to eat healthy and train hard to look their best, like that is supposed to be a bad thing. They are quick to point their finger and acuse them of being vain and selfish.
Yes. Or they are obsessed. Or they don't understand 'moderation.'

Moderation is an idiotically thrown around word. Eating cyanide isn't ok just because I do it in moderation. Beating my dog isn't ok in moderation. Rubbing poison ivy on my face isn't good for me because I do it in moderation.

The 'in moderation' crowd bugs me, too. Just admit you ingest crap for entertainment purposes and it does nothing (or does bad things) for you body and OWN IT.

Of course I don't buy into the 'athletes and bodybuilders, etc, are dumb' stereotype. I know too many physicians, lawyers, professors, CEOs, writers, etc, who are not only great at their jobs but also very fit, competitive, and healthy about their eating.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:25 AM

506 posts, read 958,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. Or they are obsessed. Or they don't understand 'moderation.'

Moderation is an idiotically thrown around word. Eating cyanide isn't ok just because I do it in moderation. Beating my dog isn't ok in moderation. Rubbing poison ivy on my face isn't good for me because I do it in moderation.

The 'in moderation' crowd bugs me, too. Just admit you ingest crap for entertainment purposes and it does nothing (or does bad things) for you body and OWN IT.

Of course I don't buy into the 'athletes and bodybuilders, etc, are dumb' stereotype. I know too many physicians, lawyers, professors, CEOs, writers, etc, who are not only great at their jobs but also very fit, competitive, and healthy about their eating.
I follow iifym or flexible dieting whee there is an approach that is "eat in moderation". Its more based on you macronutrients you need to cut bf% for your fitness status and general body stats. I'm currently in a cutting phase right now and in week 8 and want to keep going for about 4-8 weeks to see how lean I can get myself until I 'reverse diet' into a maintenance calorie and macro base. From there I want to do a long and slow bulk for at least 3-4 months to building more muscle and strength.

I think some people don't understand the concept and portion sizes or weighing and measuring their food out correctly and just intuitively eat things they assume it is within moderation.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:49 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
Another misconception is that people who are in great shape are mean and are bullies who go throwing their weight around. I am sure there are some who act this way but I am sure they do not represent the majority. Many of the people who are in top shape are also very nice and more than willing to help anyone who wants their help.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:34 PM

440 posts, read 377,947 times
Quote:
Another misconception is that people who are in great shape are mean and are bullies who go throwing their weight around. I am sure there are some who act this way but I am sure they do not represent the majority. Many of the people who are in top shape are also very nice and more than willing to help anyone who wants their help.
If I read Youtube comments my impression is that a great number of them become bullies, perhaps not so much physically but apparently psychologically. Making fun of fat and thin people and of course, the rampant homophobia. Apparently, the more homophobic the more "masculine" you look according to them... always having to prove their heterosexual and not homosexual.

I usually read that bodybuilders, as a collective, are in search of fitting in what society regards as masculine as they feel they lack it (feeling sof inadequacy), but generally, it is about negative characteristics deemed masculine such as aggressiveness.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:31 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
You are probably right. I myself sometimes have a habit of viewing someone who is in good shape or someone who has big muscles as being an a-hole or a bully or an egocentric. Sometimes it's true, but often times it's not. Those types of people come in all shapes and sizes and backgrounds. The thing I notice though is that many of the 'fit' or 'buff' or 'trained' individuals that I have seen personally seem to have a cockiness about them, and that cockiness (or what I perceive to be cockiness) makes me view them in a negative light. They often strut around and walk with an exaggerated gait. I do realize that those types of people stand out regardless, so it's easier to recognize those types. I often think immaturity is at the core of a lot of that pea cocking and strutting, as many older fit or buff people don't act in those ways, and are often very down to earth and respectful.

But I have to laugh when I see a younger guy acting as if he can take on the world or beat up anyone in his path simply because he lifts weights or body builds. A guy like that is asking for a hard life. All it would take is for a guy like that to run into someone who is not buff or muscular yet who is simply a tougher guy or a better fighter. That would be comical to see.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:44 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
If I read Youtube comments my impression is that a great number of them become bullies, perhaps not so much physically but apparently psychologically. Making fun of fat and thin people and of course, the rampant homophobia. Apparently, the more homophobic the more "masculine" you look according to them... always having to prove their heterosexual and not homosexual.

I usually read that bodybuilders, as a collective, are in search of fitting in what society regards as masculine as they feel they lack it (feeling sof inadequacy), but generally, it is about negative characteristics deemed masculine such as aggressiveness.
I think being physically strong can give many people a false sense of security and a sense that they are at the top of some societal food chain; in other words, that strength (and muscularity) can be corruptive and make a person an a-hole. But maybe they start out already being an a-hole, and the added strength and muscle size just makes them more of an a-hole. But who knows? I'm not a psychologist, so I can't accurately diagnose anyone else's psychological state or reasoning.

Everyone has insecurities, and everyone deals with them in different ways. I suspect that a fair number of insecure guys turn to weight-lifting and bodybuilding to make themselves feel better (by way of increased physical strength and size). And I guess that is OK; it's a healthy activity and has many benefits. But the problem is many of those guys get carried away and start acting as if they are superheroes. The same goes for some guys who take up various forms of martial arts; you have the one's who do it for the love of the competition and sport; then you have the others who do it because they want desperately to be seen as macho Tough Guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness