Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 07:13 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Thanks man. We don't see you around these parts much anymore. How's things been going?

Good thanks. I hope you're well, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 09:44 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Lmao, literally at the silliness here.....
Everyone here wants to be the
so called resident expert in charge, lol
Meanwhile, people like me actually a
work IRL with athletes.......
Yet I feel no need to even try
to convince anyone of my beliefs........

Now step away from your computers
for awhile....... boys

And play nice

Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post

for awhile....... boys

And play nice
Too many testosterone here lol

Haha, thanks guys. Lots of really good info here. I'm going to start adding weights gradually. I think I may not be getting enough calories. I saw one of the lifters have as many calories as me on off days (1,500). But even when I lift I keep it at 1,500. I drink a lot of water, tea, and black coffee throughout the day so I get bloated and don't get as hungry.

Big question, should I go back on creatine? When I took it I felt it gave me confidence to lift heavier. The label on it says to take it for 8 weeks, go off for 8 and then get back on it but it doesn't say how long to stay on it for the second round.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:12 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post

for awhile....... boys

And play nice
This isn't a debate about things that are really subject to opinion, like if you believe in a higher power or whether football is better than baseball. Most of the things talked about here are matters of science with actual right or wrong answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post

Haha, thanks guys. Lots of really good info here. I'm going to start adding weights gradually. I think I may not be getting enough calories. I saw one of the lifters have as many calories as me on off days (1,500). But even when I lift I keep it at 1,500. I drink a lot of water, tea, and black coffee throughout the day so I get bloated and don't get as hungry.
Isn't your goal fat loss though? 1500 calories sounds like a lot for a women trying to slim down. It almost sounds to me like you're trying to build muscle and lose fat at the same time and that's pretty difficult to do and usually requires cyclical style dieting.

Quote:
Big question, should I go back on creatine? When I took it I felt it gave me confidence to lift heavier. The label on it says to take it for 8 weeks, go off for 8 and then get back on it but it doesn't say how long to stay on it for the second round.
I see no reason not to go on it. Creatine works. Also, no need at all to cycle it. Pick your loading method (usually 20g a day spread out over several doses for 5 days, but this can be done differently) and then take 5g a day thereafter and you're good to go.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:16 PM

434 posts, read 248,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post

Creatine - while its proven to have an effect, unless you really tring to push yourself for the last few % its not going to make much difference. In short if it makes you feel better take it if not dont

Old 09-20-2015, 04:33 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
Quote:
This isn't a debate about things that are really subject to opinion, like if you believe in a higher power or whether football is better than baseball. Most of the things talked about here are matters of science with actual right or wrong answers.

Isn't your goal fat loss though? 1500 calories sounds like a lot for a women trying to slim down. It almost sounds to me like you're trying to build muscle and lose fat at the same time and that's pretty difficult to do and usually requires cyclical style dieting.

I see no reason not to go on it. Creatine works. Also, no need at all to cycle it. Pick your loading method (usually 20g a day spread out over several doses for 5 days, but this can be done differently) and then take 5g a day thereafter and you're good to go.
Yes, I would like to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. I'm pretty much the before picture of the women in the links and I want to look like the after pics. What they did was just lift heavier and their protein, fat and carb ratio was 40:30:30.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:53 PM

424 posts, read 430,991 times
Quote:
Then you didn't look very hard. Here, allow me to help you again:

Protein Intake While Dieting - Q&A : BodyRecomposition

Here's some more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnCJJD4ior0

JISSN | Full text | Evidence-based recommendations for natural bodybuilding contest preparation: nutrition and supplementation

And one of the better ones: Protein Requirements for Strength and Power Athletes : BodyRecomposition

Now my question is, if you're really in that field and even remotely competent at your job (an assumption I am doubting more and more) then how in the blazing hell are you not keeping on top of this research? This seems like pretty important stuff for someone who actually cares about the job, as opposed to someone who just got the credentials and doesn't educate themselves further,

The .85g/lb high value used in that article is pretty much in line with the general recommendations given in the links above, however as the section I quoted shows (and again, how the hell did you not know this?) people who are dieting down to lean levels as the OP is clearly trying to do. Your article was not addressing that issue and once again not understanding context leaves you grasping at straws.

Actually it is nonsense, and I'm unaware of any scientific research that even uses the term.

Now, using periodization is one way of avoiding or breaking out of plateaus (and the link I gave the OP about back-cycling weights covered one form of this) but done properly this involves actual planned methods and systems, not just haphazard changes for changes sake. This is why the people who believe in muscle confusion are still wrong but have sort of fallen ass backwards into a right answer without knowing what they're doing.

Well first, the idea that crossfitters don't plateau is absolutely wrong. They do, eventually.

Second, while crossfitters use this sort of constant periodization idea, what they gain in less frequent plateauing (and significantly higher rates of injury, thanks to their brain dead workout philosophy) is cancelled out by the much smaller rates of gain. Simply put, crossfitters just aren't that strong compared to other trained adults. Even crossfit poster boy Rich Froning puts up numbers in the big lifts that are often eclipsed by others who train with that sort of dedication, and Froning came to crossfit with great genes, an athletic background and almost certainly drug assisted.

It has been my experience so far that CrossFitters by and large are the best overall conditioned athletes among adults who engage in some sort of exercise regimen on a regular basis. We are the elite; less than 10% of adult gym-goers could keep up with us regularly on our WODs. And nobody plateaus in CrossFit if they follow the instructions and keep with the program. Crossfit WOD's are the closest thing you can get to gymnastics training, and we all know that pound for pound gymnast are the best athletes out there.
What is your experience with CrossFit? That you make a totally obnoxious and groundless claim that Crossfitters "aren't that strong compared to other trained adults?" I am guessing your knowledge is limited to Reading a few articles and watching the CrossFit games.

Froning is hardly a poster boy. To single out one guy who is not the strongest man in the world is so meaningless of a statement for support of your Crossfit denigration as to be laughable. Have you ever tried Crossfit? Do it twice a week for a couple months and then get back to me, and I will then give your opinion on it some credibility. Until such a time as that, however, this I cannot do.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:00 PM

424 posts, read 430,991 times
Quote:
(I'm responding to this part individually, since it wasn't there when I originally quoted)

Two words: Bring it.

I've been on this forum since 2008 and contributing in this subforum for almost as long, while you've been here a whopping month and managed to irritate pretty much all of the regulars with your act, myself included, who have subsequently taken issue you with you openly and privately. I'm not sure what sort of delusion you allows you to think you have any sort of respect among the regulars here (and I'd venture that I have a decent amount), but it's impressive on a psychological level.

I think I pretty much cut down your stance on protein intake, so you'd be wise to high tail it out of this thread too while you still can. That said, I dare you to post your link on the drawbacks of high protein intakes. Unlike you apparently, I tend to keep up on the research to some level and I'm almost certain what study you're going to post. I actually went back and edited out one of my links since it pointed out all the flaws in that research, just in the hopes that you'd actually follow through on that threat. If you really want to make it interesting, I'll send the link to a neutral forum member before you post yours just to see if I actually had it pegged.

So, I'll wait here patiently, with a full mag and one in the chamber (note to mods: it's just a figure of speech), waiting for you to post your link.
Boy, you really are a little yapping lap dog, aren't you? LOL

You DARE me? LOL...what are we, in high school? Are you reliving those days when guys like me used to beat you up and take your lunch money? And then steal your girlfriends.

One in the chamber? Please. More teenage Call of Duty gamer-nerd talk. You continue diminish your already spurious credibility in my eyes, with every post.

When I was in jail we had a name for guys who would talk big and posture and threaten when they were safely locked in their cells, behind the windows. We said they had "window muscles."

You seem to know a lot about muscles, huh? But I am thinking you have what I call "Internet muscles."

I would pay $50 for you to live in my town and come into my Box or campus and talk to me like you do here.

Too Much Protein?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...h-protein.aspx

http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/nut...o-much-protein

Old 09-20-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
Boy, you really are a little yapping lap dog, aren't you? LOL

You DARE me? LOL...what are we, in high school? Are you reliving those days when guys like me used to beat you up and take your lunch money? And then steal your girlfriends.

One in the chamber? Please. More teenage Call of Duty gamer-nerd talk. You continue diminish your already spurious credibility in my eyes, with every post.

When I was in jail we had a name for guys who would talk big and posture and threaten when they were safely locked in their cells, behind the windows. We said they had "window muscles."

You seem to know a lot about muscles, huh? But I am thinking you have what I call "Internet muscles."

I would pay $50 for you to live in my town and come into my Box or campus and talk to me like you do here.
The fact that you're actually getting that wound up and talking physical violence shows you're clearly coming unhinged and losing this debate. Internet tough guy for the win! Your seeming instability aside, let's get to the crux of your arguments.

Seriously? A 15 year old article (that doesn't even really say anything except a bunch of "what ifs") is the best you could do? Did you actually read the article? It's directed at the general public rather than trained individuals and couldn't cite a single adverse effect. The best they could do is some possible correlation to kidney disease and cancer.

And, since you actually did exactly what I thought you were going to do, here's the link decimating those claims;

Protein Controversies : BodyRecomposition

Quote:
A common criticism of high protein intakes/diets is the concern that they are damaging to the kidneys. This belief seems to stem from the fact that, in individuals with preexisting kidney damage, protein intake often has to be reduced to prevent further development of the disease. Incorrectly, this has been turned around to suggest that high-protein intakes are damaging to the kidneys (1).

There is at best a weak case to be made for a risk of high protein intakes on kidney function; quite in fact, some research suggesting a beneficial effect of higher protein intakes on kidney function (2). Simply put, the adaptations to kidney function that are often cited as indicating ‘strain’ or damage are more likely to simply be normal adaptive effects of varying protein intake (1).
You'll noticed that my link contains 18 study citations, 15 of which are more recent than your 2000 article.

Again, seriously? Now you've resorted to quoting well established quack Joesph Mercola? The guy who thinks vaccines cause autism and sugar is a toxin? Hahahahahahaha!

Most of what he says is just a repeat of your first link, but even then his recommendation of .5g/lb of lbm is not that far off of the .8g/lb of lbm minimum suggested by more mainstream fitness sources.

He also says that excess protein intake can lead to fat gain. As talked about here, this is a non-issue in real world situations.

Again, did you even read this? You've posted an article that agrees with me.

Quote:
While this list may seem alarming, it’s important to remember that many of these side effects are only associated with highly excessive protein diets coupled with unbalanced nutrition and/or dehydration. And this list pales in comparison to the side effects of protein deficiency, which includes general illness, loss of hair, loss of sleep, poor coordination, vision problems, etc.

The average person needs about .4 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Active individuals may require .6 grams. People that exercise frequently and at a high intensity – like myself – require about a gram per pound of body weight. Bodybuilders and athletes may require even more.
Seriously man, you need to step your game up several levels if you want to be taken seriously. You're quoting outdated and flawed research, total quacks and people who aren't even really supporting your position. I'd also like to point out that I'd expect someone with your supposed education in this science to quote direct studies, not quacks. Surely if you're a college professor as you claim to be, you have access to PubMed and Medline and can pull those studies. I have access to those databases too so no worries about me not being able to get ahead of anything you cite.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
It has been my experience so far that CrossFitters by and large are the best overall conditioned athletes among adults who engage in some sort of exercise regimen on a regular basis. We are the elite; less than 10% of adult gym-goers could keep up with us regularly on our WODs.
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EETWPu7-nOo

(for the uninitiated among us, that is a group of powerlifters and Olympic lifters absolutely torching those "elite" crossfitters in measures of explosiveness and metabolic work)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness