Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:25 AM

422 posts, read 412,686 times

Advertisements

Ran cross country in HS back in early 2000s and still run daily today. The last 5 years have made me cringe when you see grown men in compression socks, water belts and headbands.

The worst is the dress up like a fairy during a 1/2marathon and "mud runs". Most of the hardcore runners run like 10 minute per (lol) its just so cringe lately.

Since when did running become a "fad"? Hopefully it dies out soon so I dont have to see you on the trail anymore in your nut hugging shorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 09:12 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
When did people start becoming so judgmental? Why do you care what runners do?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:16 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Ran cross country in HS back in early 2000s and still run daily today. The last 5 years have made me cringe when you see grown men in compression socks, water belts and headbands.

The worst is the dress up like a fairy during a 1/2marathon and "mud runs". Most of the hardcore runners run like 10 minute per (lol) its just so cringe lately.

Since when did running become a "fad"? Hopefully it dies out soon so I dont have to see you on the trail anymore in your nut hugging shorts.
So what should "real" runners wear?

FWIW the cross country team at our local high school is the weirdest bunch of dudes ... Always making a point of wearing the smallest shorts they can get away with, and always getting in trouble for trying to have a sexually inappropriate float in the homecoming parade. Every year. The football team doesn't even think about trying some of the stuff the XC guys get away with.

Something in the water?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:51 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Quote:
The worst is the dress up like a fairy during a 1/2marathon and "mud runs"...
Since when did running become a "fad"?
You mean, people are putting fake wings on their backs and throwing dust at each other? Didn't think so.

What made me cringe for some time was seeing a certain logo, meant for male-specific underwear, suddenly showing up on all sorts of articles of clothing - even stuff worn by women. I'll admit to always having looked down my nose at "brand-label slaves" anyway. But because of the obvious nature of this particular gear, seeing its manufacturer's imprint on - say - a lady's T-shirt made me grit my teeth all the more.
So did the sudden "necessity" to wear things colored bright tennis-ball green. WTF???
Garmin gadgets? GTFO!!!
And then there are the undeniably elderly among us, looking back at 70 or beyond, rocking "loud" pairs of sneakers which may be put through a weekly mall walk at most.
AND...the proliferation of oval bumper stickers flaunting the distance the driver of the vehicle MAY have run: "26.2" most prevalent, but also of course other mileages, and more recently the inevitable (and comical) reactionary stickers ("2.62, I run too" and "0.0" are the best.)

But this is not the first wave of a "running fad." It took off big time in the late '70s, spurred by books - by no less than physicians sometimes - which promised that jogging would cure all that ailed you and change your life. By my reckoning it's kept a high level of popularity. It's just that recently all those U---- A----- logo, eye-hurting, tennis-ball-green gear-wearing, iPod-sporting (with the upper-arm Velcro attachment), clumsily jogging denizens have started pouring out of the woodwork. (And out of their cars with those "distance" stickers.)

With some help from friends I managed to get over myself about all that. I hope the OP does too. Running should be a democratic activity since the basic equipment one needs is so simple. [The same holds true for bicycling. Comfortable clothes and a bike are all you require. Why let the d-bags all wrapped up in ad-plastered Lycra and ridiculous shoes ruin YOUR bliss on two wheels?] If the fad joggers fill the streets at 7 AM and 6 PM, go out an hour earlier in the morning or later in the evening. Give the UA wearer the same friendly nod as you would anyone.
My point all through here is, worry only about you and try not to generalize about the logo slaves and the "fairies." Before you know it it'll be 2017 - maybe even sometime in '16 - and "real" runners will again be all that's left, that you (and I) can tell anyway.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:02 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
I'm a coach for a high school cross country team and I'll agree.... Runners are a bit of an odd lot.

Dont know why though. I find im often the odd man out in regards to dress. I dont like the super short shorts (I find my performance does not suffer if I wear shorts just above the knee vs mid-thigh)

I dont do sweat bands, water packs, etc. I make sure im well-hydrated before a run and during practice I stop for water breaks... Simple as that.

Some of the kids get very clannish and cliqueish and I can't figure out why. Perhaps because they endure the suffering of running long distance together in the brutal south Florida heat that bonds them?
I just dont know.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:29 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
LOL. I guess those idiots who run slow shouldn't run? I agree OP, all those old grown men who are out there trying to get fit are complete dorks.

All those who carry water or wear compression socks should stop running and go have a doughnut because you know, trying is so stupid.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Running is great for everyone because the only person you are challenging is yourself. I am an extremely slow runner, but love the feeling of finishing a race. I don't care where I place, it's about me. I don't judge how others run. You should be lifting fellow runners up instead of putting them down.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:56 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:

I ran cross country back in the 70s and 80s. Check out some old pics - tiny, shiny running shorts were actually part of our high school uniform. Men and women both. Now that was cringe-worthy.

Nothing wrong with dress-up runs. It's so much more fun now than back then, when only the best runners were having any fun, and then only if they won. I don't see any hardcore "10 minute per" runners, though. Maybe 9, if it's long.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:32 AM

692 posts, read 1,004,923 times
if it gets people off the couch, away from their phones and computers and cubicles, outside in fresh air and exercising in a legal, noncrude, non threatening way they can wear all the tutus, capes, wings, wigs, and antennae they dayum well please. 2 birds 1 stone. Excersizing and fun. More people should try it. Fewer should cringe and judge.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:35 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Good shoes. That's all I gotta have. I do like my iphone while i run because I love music anyway. I like the bright colors for visability, but I'll run and cycle until my old body tells me I can't, or I die.

I'm 40, and I'm a MAN!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness