Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 01:10 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,539 times

Advertisements

I have lived for five years near two large gyms run by a large national chain. They are open almost all the time, they have most any weights or equipment you want, they have cardio equipment, they have classes, they only cost $250/year. Granted they are not perfect, parking and the locker rooms are to be desired, but they are only $250 a year.

In recent years I have noticed a half dozen mini gyms open near me, and that does not even include yoga studios. One is a Curves, female only gym, and I can understand why some women would prefer such a gym. But what is the advantage of these mini gyms to most men? They cost 2-5 times more, they are not open as many hours, and they do not have as much variety. Why? Why? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 01:37 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,011,830 times
What exactly is a mini gym? I haven't heard the term before?

Old 10-12-2015, 03:39 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,414,667 times
"Mini gym"? What is that? Never heard of that term.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:54 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I have lived for five years near two large gyms run by a large national chain. They are open almost all the time, they have most any weights or equipment you want, they have cardio equipment, they have classes, they only cost $250/year. Granted they are not perfect, parking and the locker rooms are to be desired, but they are only $250 a year.

In recent years I have noticed a half dozen mini gyms open near me, and that does not even include yoga studios. One is a Curves, female only gym, and I can understand why some women would prefer such a gym. But what is the advantage of these mini gyms to most men? They cost 2-5 times more, they are not open as many hours, and they do not have as much variety. Why? Why? Why?

What the hell is a "mini-gym", its either a gym or it isnt.

People will choose a particular gym for any number of reasons such as...

-Convenience-Accessibility and distance from home. My gym has keycard access, I can go anytime I want, 365 days out of the year, it takes me about 8 minutes to get there from my home.

*Can I get in there and do a workout after work or do I have to fight insane crowds. I tend to workout early in the mornings and sometimes I've been the only one in there which is perfectly fine by me.

-Community-Some folks want a more social environment with those of a similar mindset and goals. You've got Curves, Cross-Fit, kickboxing gyms, gyms geared towards powerlifting and bodybuilders...etc.

-Cost and value-What do you pay versus what you get out of a particular gym

-Gym amenities......does it have a swimming pool....racquetball courts, what is the caliber of personal trainers...etc.

We all have our priorities and the things that we want out of a gym. In general I notice more people migrating away from the national chain gyms and moving towards local community gyms for a variety of reasons.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:19 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,539 times
The typical large gym near me is a stand alone building of approx. 10,000 to 20,000 of workout space. Think ballys, planet fitness, golds, 24 hour fitness. The mini gyms I reference are in strip malls and are only about 2,000 to 3000 sq ft. One has "cross fit" in its name, another is "orange theory", a national mini gym chain, the others are locally owned.

Last edited by Robert5; 10-12-2015 at 06:29 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 06:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,474 times
Ok a mini gym in a strip mall sounds pretty awful.

I'm setting one up in my backyard one day so why would not pay for someone elses in the meantime!

Old 10-12-2015, 08:23 PM

61 posts, read 56,843 times
There's a small fitness facility near my work in a STRIP MALL and in the morning, the parking lot is lined with Bentley, Porsche, BMW, Audi etc. They must provide 1 on 1 fitness to high net worth individuals

Old 10-12-2015, 09:14 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
"Mini gym"??

A gym is a gym, isn't it? Big gyms. little gyms. Different strokes.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:55 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Quote:
The typical large gym near me is a stand alone building of approx. 10,000 to 20,000 of workout space. Think ballys, planet fitness, golds, 24 hour fitness. The mini gyms I reference are in strip malls and are only about 2,000 to 3000 sq ft. One has "cross fit" in its name, another is "orange theory", a national mini gym chain, the others are locally owned.
Cross Fit and Orange Theory aren't standard gyms. They do group workouts.

For me it pushes me harder than I would on my own, small classes and better results. It's a different offering.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:14 AM

13,709 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
You're comparing strictly on size, which is your fallacy. The Orange Theory, CrossFit, Curves, Yoga studios, etc, all have a niche product focused on group classes.

The other smaller 24 hour workout studios are popular because they are much cheaper than a Golds/LA Fitness/Lifetime type of deal and are usually open 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness