Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:22 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Why do you care?

The pertinent question. Why would someone care if women are lifting weights? There are plenty who don't, lots of fish in the sea. Whatever their reasons are for lifting, OP can be assured that they arent doing it for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 07:44 AM

45 posts, read 83,921 times
I can understand what the OP is saying regarding lifting being a possible "trend". As someone who has never been active in my life, then became overweight/obese, then lost 80 lbs and have been maintaining for over 2 years here's my take...

When I used to think of weightlifting, I thought I was going to get big and bulky if I used more than 5 pound handweights. I wanted to be lean with some muscle tone so I stuck with cardio and light weights. Yes I lost weight on the scale and gained a lot of endurance and cardio strength, but my body looked the same. Slightly smaller. Still flabby. Not the look I wanted.

After researching and learning how difficult it is for women to gain muscle since women don't have much testosterone and it takes hard, hard work to look like a bodybuilder I thought I would give it a try. If I didn't enjoy it I could go back.

Now I've have been lifting heavy for over 2 years now. It has totally changed my body composition. It has accentuated my curves, made my body tight (but not too hard) and I feel like a bada** squatting and carrying all of my groceries in with one swoop.

Not to mention I'm approaching 40 and my body looks much better than it did in college with my slightly visible muscles. I couldn't wear a bikini back then because I was "skinny fat", now I can. Lifting has completed shaped my body and has tighten things up.

I've had women ask me what workouts I do and I mention weights most are not interested. However there have been a few that has taking up weights since they see that I'm lean and still have curves. With hard work and time some of them are now enjoying their new bodies.

Overall though, offline I don't see many women lifting heavy. Spinning, the elliptical or Zumba classes yes, but not so much weights. That is their choice, but don't be afraid to lift ladies!

Last edited by SunnySide99; 11-18-2015 at 07:53 AM..

Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide99 View Post
I can understand what the OP is saying regarding lifting being a possible "trend". As someone who has never been active in my life, then became overweight/obese, then lost 80 lbs and have been maintaining for over 2 years here's my take...

When I used to think of weightlifting, I thought I was going to get big and bulky if I used more than 5 pound handweights. I wanted to be lean with some muscle tone so I stuck with cardio and light weights. Yes I lost weight on the scale and gained a lot of endurance and cardio strength, but my body looked the same. Slightly smaller. Still flabby. Not the look I wanted.

After researching and learning how difficult it is for women to gain muscle since women don't have much testosterone and it takes hard, hard work to look like a bodybuilder I thought I would give it a try. If I didn't enjoy it I could go back.

Now I've have been lifting heavy for over 2 years now. It has totally changed my body composition. It has accentuated my curves, made my body tight (but not too hard) and I feel like a bada** squatting and carrying all of my groceries in with one swoop.

Not to mention I'm approaching 40 and my body looks much better than it did in college with my slightly visible muscles. I couldn't wear a bikini back then because I was "skinny fat", now I can. Lifting has completed shaped my body and has tighten things up.

I've had women ask me what workouts I do and I mention weights most are not interested. However there have been a few that has taking up weights since they see that I'm lean and still have curves. With hard work and time some of them are now enjoying their new bodies.

Overall though, offline I don't see many women lifting heavy. Spinning, the elliptical or Zumba classes yes, but not so much weights. That is their choice, but don't be afraid to lift ladies!
True~ .. I'm 52 and I'm really seeing the results from doing light weights, I still run 5-6 days, it's my passion for sure but decided I wanted more than just being toned, and I thought the same-thing if I took up weights but after a year I have build up some muscle but no hulk at all!

Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Yup. I used to just do cardio, but I've always been on the scrawny side... which middle-age transformed into flabby skinny fat. I started lifting about 8 months ago, and difference is remarkable. I'm the same weight, butdropped 2 sizes, reduced my BF%, and fill out my clothes the way I'm supposed to. Why more women don't lift... I have no ****ing idea.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:14 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Why more women don't lift... I have no ****ing idea.

I've been in athletics my whole life, and am close with those specific to bodybuilding. Here are the reasons you hear from women for why they don't lift:

1) (and by FAR, the most common) = "I don't want to look bulky". Yeah, we know that's stupid, but it's a very common mindset. As mentioned in my previous post, nobody was interested in taking anybody's advice until they started seeing all the instagram models talking about how they lift and then suddenly, more women started listening. It's still a minority, though.

2) It's difficult. I mean, it really isn't, but it is to someone who's never done it before. If you're accustomed to jumping on an elliptical for an hour, turning your brain off, and calling it a day, then lifting is hard work.

3) Don't know how. Some people are afraid to try new things, and are scared of looking stupid or hurting themselves.

They're silly reasons, but those are the reasons.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:22 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Much more women in the squat racks/smith/hack squats in the past few years. Reason being I presume is that is the key to tight tushes. Few things are more beautiful than a woman with a tight tush.[Insert image of Wildcard's tush]

The women playing around with dumb bells has been a fixture since Jane Fonda hit the VHS stand.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-20-2015 at 02:34 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 02:30 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Much more women in the squat racks/smith/hack squats in the past few years. Reason being I presume is that is the key to tight tushes. Few things are more beautiful than a women with a tight tush.[Insert image of Wildcard's tush]

The women playing around with dumb bells has been a fixture since Jane Fonda hit the VHS stand.

This old gal will take that as complement, thanks...

Old 11-20-2015, 06:01 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
My fiancé lifts very heavy. She does the exact same lifting routine that I do, and I'm 5'10, 220lbs and around 11-12% BF.

She's 5'1, 115-120, and can squat 225lbs for 3 perfect reps. I've been to huge gyms all over the country and have only see a few women ever squat that much. I know power lifter type women can, but not very many women that don't train to compete. She's 22 and has been lifting 2.5 years.

I love women that lift. A lot think they lift, but they really don't that hard. I love when my fiancé squats heavy and people are just amazed lol. We've had a lot of people come up and compliment her. Usually a "wow, when we saw you put that weight on we thought there was no way you could squat that, or you'd just do crappy half squats."

We also have our diet really dialed in well, but do enjoy our cheat meals still.

Attached is a picture I took before NYE this year. Didn't even realize the sweep on her quads in the pic till I zoomed in lol. She might be a bit much for some, but she has a butt to match and her upper body is much more balanced. She actually does zero quad work except squats every 7-10 days, because her quads are so overpowering.
Attached Thumbnails
Girls lifting. Has this been a trend?-image.jpeg  

Old 11-23-2015, 01:39 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I lift. It keeps me in shape and I feel attractive. I'm not nearly as cut/ripped as I used to be (now 40 and not 25) but I feel it's a necessity for me to stay that way. The only thing I have to be careful of is my back. It's already wide from gymnastics, swimming, and weights when I was younger. I know I've been lifting too much when my tshirts can't fit. Then I know I need to back off

Old 11-27-2015, 04:42 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
A little bit of muscle on a woman is quite attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness