Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:51 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Isn't that something.

We currently live in a world where the causes and dangers of obesity are more than well known. In addition, never before have we had such an abundance of readily available information on exercise science, diet, workout routines and theories, etc.

Yet, irony of ironies, people continue to get fatter and fatter.

One in eight adults obese: global study | DESTINY Magazine

Quote:
The study, released on Thursday, studied individuals from nearly 200 countries and reveals an increase in the number of obese people from 105 million in 1975 to 641 million in 2014, adding that quick action is needed to avoid “an epidemic of severe obesity”.

More than one in 10 men and one in seven women are obese.

It was also revealed that the world has more overweight than underweight people, according to an analysis of global trends in body mass index (BMI).

“Over the past 40 years, we have changed from a world in which underweight prevalence was more than double that of obesity, to one in which more people are obese than underweight,” said senior author Professor Majid Ezzati from the School of Public Health at Imperial College London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:25 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
I just read an article on the report in The Lancet (medical journal), that says 20% of the globe's population will be obese by 2025.

Obesity rate predicted to reach 20% by 2025 - Health - CBC News

Not overweight... obese. With everything that entails.

Cheap convenience foods with high sugar, salt, etc. content are killing a lot of people.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:33 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times
Well this is encouraging news then. 7/8 of adults are not obese!

I'm fighting this battle too. My parents raised me on McDonald's & frozen pizza. Now for the last 20 years I've been striving to reprogram my brain to understand & crave whole, earth-grown, nutritious foods. And to stop craving the junk that my brain first learned as a child.

I want my children to eat nutritiously too after all the hundreds of hours of nutrition studies I've done, I want to help the next generation get it right!

Old 04-02-2016, 06:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Well this is encouraging news then. 7/8 of adults are not obese!

I'm fighting this battle too. My parents raised me on McDonald's & frozen pizza. Now for the last 20 years I've been striving to reprogram my brain to understand & crave whole, earth-grown, nutritious foods. And to stop craving the junk that my brain first learned as a child.

I want my children to eat nutritiously too after all the hundreds of hours of nutrition studies I've done, I want to help the next generation get it right!
Definitely! It's so important to start them off right, because once they start going school and birthday parties, they're opened up to a whole new world of junk food. But with careful maneuvering, when they do have junk, they'll notice they feel crap after eating/drinking it.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:32 AM

589 posts, read 696,295 times
Makes me think of how my gym was serving Pizza Hut one day for new members.

I was pissed.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:06 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
It's interesting that there is an obesity epidemic yet hundreds of millions of people on this planet still don't have enough food to eat.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Makes me think of how my gym was serving Pizza Hut one day for new members.

I was pissed.
I'd be pissed too. Was it Planet Fitness? Their target customers are non-health nuts, or people just getting started on their fitness journey. No gym-timidation allowed! But their monthly fees are so fantastic that all kinds of people join.

I'm in a contract at Gold's and I get miffed that the only offerings are "protein cookies," power bars, and other sugar-laden treats for anyone who might get emergency hungry after a workout. It sincerely makes me angry sometimes because I work so hard to avoid those foods like the plague because sugar isn't healthy for ANYONE & it makes me feel like crap after I eat it, but the devil on my shoulder constantly reminds me how damn good it tastes during my weakest moments. Whenever possible I bring a nutritious filling portable snack to the gym for hunger emergencies.

Q: Why do gyms only sell junk food & chemical supplements??

A: To keep people unhealthy & fat & dependent on their gym membership to lose weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
It's interesting that there is an obesity epidemic yet hundreds of millions of people on this planet still don't have enough food to eat.
Wish we could just give them our surplus. Our world might someday find a balance.

My mind just raced ahead and imagined a draconian/utopian world in the distant future in which everyone's daily caloric needs are periodically assessed, and no one is allowed to go below or above their ideal number, and junk food doesn't exist. The whole world would work in harmony to make sure every person's nutritional needs are met. Never too much, and never too little.

Imagine a world in which everyone ate nutritiously and no one was overweight. The healthcare industry would only be needed for an occasional broken bone here & there, annual checkups, etc. People would feel better, think better, and treatmeach other better.

I sincerely wish for a world where junk food doesn't exist. It slows people down & dulls our minds. Human intelligence has so much potential and we could be so great if we'd get rid of all the self-imposed obstacles standing in our own way. We all have the potential of Bill Gates, Carl Sagan (name some other great minds & philanthropists) inside everyone.

Last edited by Zelpha; 04-02-2016 at 04:05 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 11:19 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Q: Why do gyms only sell junk food & chemical supplements??

A: To keep people unhealthy & fat & dependent on their gym membership to lose weight!
The people who stay fat are the ones who cancel their gym memberships. The people that lose weight are your long-term customers.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
The people who stay fat are the ones who cancel their gym memberships. The people that lose weight are your long-term customers.
True, but regarding food, it's deviant for gyms to sell COOKIES and serve PIZZA without offering nutritious options. Do you see how junk food addiction keeps people dependent on gyms to burn off the extra calories? Gyms know that, and that's why they keep offering junk food.

I'll take a picture of my gym's "smoothie bar" today just to show you the health-defeating temptations that every guest is offered as they enter & exit.

Granted there are classier gyms around here that do offer fantastic nutritious foods (as well as indoor & outdoor pools, indoor rock climbing, running clubs, children's gym & sports clubs, organized social fitness outings...sounds like heaven).

Old 04-06-2016, 09:32 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
True, but regarding food, it's deviant for gyms to sell COOKIES and serve PIZZA without offering nutritious options. Do you see how junk food addiction keeps people dependent on gyms to burn off the extra calories? Gyms know that, and that's why they keep offering junk food.

I'll take a picture of my gym's "smoothie bar" today just to show you the health-defeating temptations that every guest is offered as they enter & exit.

Granted there are classier gyms around here that do offer fantastic nutritious foods (as well as indoor & outdoor pools, indoor rock climbing, running clubs, children's gym & sports clubs, organized social fitness outings...sounds like heaven).
Planet Fitness reals em in with low costs, and keeps em there with junk food. Brilliant strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness