Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:07 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Uhm no fat gain will always happen even if you are building muscle. It's not possible to build muscle without also gaining at least some fat.
Yes, this is what OP seems to miss. Some amount of fat comes with building the muscle. It is good, natural and not to be fought. It cushions the body and provides an energy reserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 11:42 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks. I have been staying away from juice but some of the smoothies I have, have fruit juice in them, but I make sure to buy the juice that says on them 100% juice Is that better, or not really?

I don't really feel any spikes in blood sugar that make me feel tired. But if I am having spikes could it put on weight without feeling tired?
Tons of smoothies are full of sugar and calories.

Read your label.

Your problem sounds like sugar.

Most bread, even whole wheat contains a ton of sugar. Try Ezekial.

How many cokes or gatoraids are you drinking a day?

There is sugar is almost everything.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:16 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
Here's my philosophy/strategy - Fat doesn't make fat. Cholesterol doesn't make cholesterol (or if it does at all, it is the not the kind of cholesterol to worry about). Sugar (which all carbs convert to) has the ability to end up ultimately as body fat - and also clogs the arteries. (And bacon, in my estimation .. is not great but that is mostly because of the preservatives and nitrates, not the fat.) It takes approximately 4 days of eating no sugar to get it out of your system to the point you no longer crave it.

All of us should watch our soy intake - those phytoestrogens are not great for us. Soy is in just about darned processed food these days. A varied diet is better than trying to eat the same things all the time. And, I don't go for low fat stuff - it is not necessarily better for you, especially if it has added sugars or other ingredients to provide its mouth-feel, etc. Ditto on the fake sugar junk - I don't do it - I know that puts weight on me even if the calorie count is substantially lower than a similar product that contains real sugar. Check labels ALWAYS if you are not cooking everything from scratch.

Fruit consumption - berries work best for me - any other type of fruit is only for fiber that I can get in other ways so for the most part I avoid fruit. No juices. I drink only water, tea and coffee - both black, no sugar.

For me, the only way to lose weight is to vary how many calories I take in every day, because that tricks the body into being so confused it uses up its stores rather than retaining them. Just eating fewer calories (but a similar amount each day) puts weight on me - 100 percent of the time. And when I do that I also have more leeway in what I choose to eat. Denying myself something just makes me crave it more - so I don't but I DO moderate and delay that 'gratification' as much as I can.

I can lose weight eating high carb meals (with rice and beans or noodles, etc.) several times a week - but the next day or two I don't eat many, if any, carbs at all - or I even fast. Speaking of 'fasting', I always fast at least 12 hours a day anyway - no matter how late I eat in the evening (I believed that don't eat within x number of hours of bedtime for a long time too - I found that for me it is much more important to not eat for 12 hours after that last 'meal'). I can gain weight eating only plain spinach if that is all I ever ate - the lower my calorie count goes the more my body retains fat (my metabolism simply adjusts way too quickly!). I also never eat breakfast because if I do, I lose strength, am fatigued and end up munching on things all day long - and usually bad things - even if everything I would usually eat for a breakfast is balanced, high protein (which by the way do NOT last with me - we are ALL different and that is my point!), low carb, etc. I get really hungry on a high protein regimen.

Can't say my strategy will work for everyone but that is the thing - I don't think ANY diet or weight loss strategy works for everyone. One needs to understand one's own body first (and if you are male, you will probably be different from most females anyway - we store fat differently, we put on fat differently). I can see just about everyone here still subscribes to the there is only one way to eat right theory - don't blame them and it may work for a lot of people - but, it doesn't for me - and it might not for the OP .. or it might.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:13 PM

34 posts, read 33,987 times
You could fast and only drink shakes with protein and vitamins.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:30 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I have some of your challenges. I don't eat breakfast, I had to do a lot of manual labor plus my normal workouts...........I ate a lot more I am more bulked up and strong........with a bigger gut. I drink too many sports drinks and not enough water, but when I drink too much water it expands my stomach and makes me hungry later.

The sports drinks had so much sodium I was retaining a lot of water since I cut back I dropped 3 lbs in 1 day......water retention.

Every strong guy I know of has a gut the lean thin guys have the 6 pack not the strong guys.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:13 PM

155 posts, read 149,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Every strong guy I know of has a gut the lean thin guys have the 6 pack not the strong guys.
Although strong guys (world's strongest men) are bulky they certainly don't all have a "gut".

It is clear that many like the Hall of Famers definitely don't have a "gut"!!

You have a gut because you eat too much not because you are strong

Old 08-29-2016, 11:40 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
Although strong guys (world's strongest men) are bulky they certainly don't all have a "gut".

It is clear that many like the Hall of Famers definitely don't have a "gut"!!

You have a gut because you eat too much not because you are strong
And Hall of Famers are statistical anomalies c'mon really

Old 08-30-2016, 03:22 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times
Okay thanks. Well I am going to cut out using protein powder for a few days and we'll see how that works. I got it to loose weight, but I feel the calories in it, may have caused me to gain more. So I am going to try going off it, for breakfast, on work days. I can make smoothies instead, with milk and berries, if that is better.

However, berries have sugar in them too, so should I just cut out fruit all together? They say that fruit is good for you, but it has sugar in it, so is it therefore?

I don't drink any sports drinks or pop hardly all. Sometimes on social customs I will have an occasional alcoholic drink, which may have pop in it. And there are occasional times, when sometimes I feel like biting the bullet and having a piece of candy. Like for example, it was my birthday this weekend, and my family got me a cake. So I had a couple of pieces to show my appreciation, but maybe I need to learn to give a no cake warning for next time.

Also I was told to get zero percent yogurt with no sugar in. But that yogurt has artificial sweetener. I was told that is more unhealthy than sugar though. So is it?

I tried eating less food while at work, and in smaller portions. But my work energy level slowed down, and I started working slower, and becoming more exhausted, because I got hungry a lot sooner, rather than later. Is there a way to do a good job in a physical job, without having to eat more, compared to on days off? I burn more calories at work, but is their a way to not have to work up an appetite while burning them or a way to keep my energy?

I also read that the body can metabolize food faster, by drinking coffee. I could do that, but I hate coffee. Mainly cause after I drink it, I feel away for a couple of hours, but then I feel more tired later, than if I hadn't have drank it. But is that worth it, cause it will help me loose weight?

Old 08-30-2016, 03:24 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
You can lose it?

Old 08-30-2016, 03:33 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times
Another thing I read is that if you eat breakfast after getting up in the morning, it is better than waiting till later. Is this true?

Mainly I get up at 11:00 am, and I don't work until 3:30. I usually do not eat until 2:00, cause I like to eat just before work, since my meal break at work is not until 9:00.

But if I were to eat breakfast at 11:00, when I got up, then I would be having another meal around 2:00 to keep me full until 9:00.

So it would just be adding an extra meal. Is that the way to go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness