Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:28 AM

876 posts, read 1,002,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Nah, much easier to just blame it on "genetics" and ***** about it on the internet. Then it's not his fault he's failing....
Failing at what? I lift to get more fit and because it's a lifestyle that I enjoy. I am getting more fit, and I am enjoying this. So how am I failing? Do I fail because I don't obtain the unrealistic amount of muscle that people seem to think most naturals can obtain? I take it that you have either not been lifting for long enough to become disillusioned with the unrealistic expectations, are on roids, or are one of those people who got fat but trick themselves into thinking all the weight is muscle gain.

But go ahead and just throw away legit research that plainly shows how genetically different we are and how massively varied peoples response to lifting is because it defies the conventional feel good lies of the fitness industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 11:50 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Failing at what? I lift to get more fit and because it's a lifestyle that I enjoy. I am getting more fit, and I am enjoying this. So how am I failing? Do I fail because I don't obtain the unrealistic amount of muscle that people seem to think most naturals can obtain? I take it that you have either not been lifting for long enough to become disillusioned with the unrealistic expectations, are on roids, or are one of those people who got fat but trick themselves into thinking all the weight is muscle gain.

But go ahead and just throw away legit research that plainly shows how genetically different we are and how massively varied peoples response to lifting is because it defies the conventional feel good lies of the fitness industry.

Are you now going to pretend that your introduction to this forum wasn't because you got your feelings hurt that some people over on some bodybuilding forum said mean things about your results?

We know otherwise. I'm betting the thread is still out there....

Indeed, it is: //www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...l#post43205177

It's no secret that, until relatively recently, you were one of those wannabe meatheads that had "unrealistic expectations" of how big and ripped you were going to be after only a year or less of training. After coming to grips with the harsh reality that it takes years and years of dedicated, consistent work, you started posting nothing but whining on the topics of steroid use, genetics, diet, etc, etc, etc.

I've probably been doing physical fitness activities since before you were born and I'm completely satisfied with my progress, thanks. Just PR'd my back squat two weeks ago and PR'd my clean/jerk the week before that.

Last edited by hooligan; 11-08-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
It's no secret that, until relatively recently, you were one of those wannabe meatheads that had "unrealistic expectations"
I won't lie. When I first started I was also largely brainwashed by the fitness industry. But that was over a year ago. Now I know better after the experience and research I have made, and have a more rationalist view of what it means to lift as a genetically average drug free lifter.

Quote:
I've probably been doing physical fitness activities since before you were born and I'm completely satisfied with my progress
Good for you. It still doesn't change facts. Getting big is genetics first and effort second. 90% of the reason for why most trainers and couches or pretty much anyone that has anything to do with the fitness industry at all claim effort matters more than genetics is because they have a fiscal incentive to make people buy their stuff. The rest who do it are people like yourself who convinced himself that genetics don't play a big part because it's easier on the ego.

As for why I feel the need to create threads like this? I dunno, maybe I just enjoy seeing the chaos that can happen when all the holes in the fitness industry's logic are revealed for all the world to see? Every single time I create a thread about something fitness related it's usually the same individuals who get butthurt and start calling me names. One can't help but wonder why...

Old 11-08-2016, 03:11 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,581,889 times
Even with good genes it takes a lot of consistent work to add significant strength and muscle mass. It also takes increasingly sophisticated training.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Even with good genes it takes a lot of consistent work to add significant strength and muscle mass.
Even people with good genetics need to go and actually lift, this is true. My original point wasn't that the genetically talented don't need to work, it was that people are rewarded extremely unequally for said work depending on their genetics. A guy with mediocre genetics can train super well for years and still be outclassed by a genetic freak who just does 2 half-assed workouts a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
It also takes increasingly sophisticated training.
Yes but again, this wasn't my original point. See above.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I won't lie. When I first started I was also largely brainwashed by the fitness industry. But that was over a year ago. Now I know better after the experience and research I have made, and have a more rationalist view of what it means to lift as a genetically average drug free lifter.

Good for you. It still doesn't change facts. Getting big is genetics first and effort second. 90% of the reason for why most trainers and couches or pretty much anyone that has anything to do with the fitness industry at all claim effort matters more than genetics is because they have a fiscal incentive to make people buy their stuff. The rest who do it are people like yourself who convinced himself that genetics don't play a big part because it's easier on the ego.

As for why I feel the need to create threads like this? I dunno, maybe I just enjoy seeing the chaos that can happen when all the holes in the fitness industry's logic are revealed for all the world to see? Every single time I create a thread about something fitness related it's usually the same individuals who get butthurt and start calling me names. One can't help but wonder why...

As I said, you prefer to blame genetics for your failing to achieve your goals. You admit it yourself at the top of this post.

LOL at the idea of the "experience and research" you have made in one whole year. Bravo to you!

Old 11-10-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
As I said, you prefer to blame genetics for your failing to achieve your goals.
You keep using the word failure even though I have stated a good number of times I haven't failed at anything. I just unrealistic expectations. This isn't the same as failing. My workouts are going fine.

Quote:
LOL at the idea of the "experience and research" you have made in one whole year. Bravo to you!
I have seen people with 10+ years of lifting experience who have no idea what they are talking about. This is what happens when variables that you have no influence over (genetics) play such a large role. Many of the fitness youtubers that have millions of subscribers often say things that make no sense or even use horrible form (there are even a couple of dudes why say using bad form is actually good), and yet they have amazing bodies and people actually listen to them. Granted many of them (well, almost all of them) abuse drugs.

And weight lifting is not actually very complicated. Almost all of the decent programs are just different variations of the same thing. The fitness industry intentionally makes the whole thing appear so much more complicated than it actually is, because that is how it can get people to pay more money for bogus advice and/or products.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,843,573 times
This is an absurd argument.

Sure, genetics may play a role in why you will not have the chest size of Ronnie Coleman even if you do steroids, however, your genetics will not limit you from having an impressive chest size if you work on it.

Genetics only play a role in competing at elite levels, it does not stop you from making impressive gains. A person may play basketball, and play it well, but not born with the talent to be in the NBA. That does not mean he cannot play and cannot play well.

Same with boxing, a person can put thousands of hours in practicing, but never come close to being a Tyson, but that does not mean that person is not a good boxer, just talent/genetics keep them from being the best of the bes,t or even competing at the elite level.

In regards to body building/strength training; yes, genetics will eventually limit gains and keep most people from competing in the strongman or being a deadlift world record contender, but that does not mean they cannot engage in the activity or have impressive gains in the activity. A person may never be genetically gifted to deadlift 1000lbs, but that does not mean they cannot achieve 2x their BW.

There are numerous amateur body building competitions, people who will never compete at elite levels, but do compete at the amateur level. Anyone is capable of competing in these things if they commit themselves to it.

OP, you seem to think that it is an all or nothing thing, that genetics determines if you are a fat/skinny dude or a muscular guy, which is 100% incorrect. Genetics will limit you from being an Olympic level athlete, but it will not limit you from being good at the sport.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:21 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,145,441 times
Hasn't this horse been dead for a long time?

Old 11-11-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This is an absurd argument.

Sure, genetics may play a role in why you will not have the chest size of Ronnie Coleman even if you do steroids, however, your genetics will not limit you from having an impressive chest size if you work on it.

Genetics only play a role in competing at elite levels, it does not stop you from making impressive gains. A person may play basketball, and play it well, but not born with the talent to be in the NBA. That does not mean he cannot play and cannot play well.

Same with boxing, a person can put thousands of hours in practicing, but never come close to being a Tyson, but that does not mean that person is not a good boxer, just talent/genetics keep them from being the best of the bes,t or even competing at the elite level.

In regards to body building/strength training; yes, genetics will eventually limit gains and keep most people from competing in the strongman or being a deadlift world record contender, but that does not mean they cannot engage in the activity or have impressive gains in the activity. A person may never be genetically gifted to deadlift 1000lbs, but that does not mean they cannot achieve 2x their BW.

There are numerous amateur body building competitions, people who will never compete at elite levels, but do compete at the amateur level. Anyone is capable of competing in these things if they commit themselves to it.

OP, you seem to think that it is an all or nothing thing, that genetics determines if you are a fat/skinny dude or a muscular guy, which is 100% incorrect. Genetics will limit you from being an Olympic level athlete, but it will not limit you from being good at the sport.

Exactly. This is a picture of a friend of mine. He works full-time for Microsoft, he is a hobbyist bodybuilder. I can 100% guarantee you he doesn't use steroids. He'd be laughed off a pro bodybuilding stage, but is still damn impressive. He is not some genetic freak, he's just a normal guy that trained hard and was dedicated/committed to his goal.
Attached Thumbnails
Research: At least one third won't make meaningful muscle gains-ellis.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness