Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,282,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
So, all the women saying that there are fit, muscular 50-something women on every corner are wealthy? I didn't realize there were so many high net worth individuals posting in this forum. One of the gyms I work out at is in the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Chicago. It's one of the wealthier neighborhoods in the city. While there are a TON of fit younger women everywhere I still don't see many older women with a bodies like the younger ones. I have seen some women with very nice bodies but, again, they are a small minority.

You don't have to make a ton of money to eat well and workout. That's just a stupid thing to say. One thing about this country is that almost anyone can eat well if they so choose, even people of modest means. Here in Chicago even Englewood, one of the worst neighborhoods in the city, has a Whole Foods grocery store. How hard is it to exercise 3 hours per week and cook two 15 minute meals per day?

Was your post a joke? I'm not really sure.
I have reported your personal attack.

You have heard of food deserts, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 12:18 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,581,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I have reported your personal attack.
Good for you.

Quote:
You have heard of food deserts, right?
Sure, but does anyone posting in this thread live in one? You've made quite a few erroneous assumptions here.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:39 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,282,949 times
Quote:
Good for you.

Sure, but does anyone posting in this thread live in one? You've made quite a few erroneous assumptions here.
I never said that anyone on this thread lives in one?

I didn't assume anything. YOU are the one assuming that I am talking about people in this thread when I am referring to 50 yea4r olds in general.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,241,230 times
Quote:
There is a breakdown in communication here.

I think that a lot of this depends upon socioeconomics, as evidenced by the people who say that it is not uncommon to see unfit people. National statistics being what they are, this cannot be possible unless you are an outlier.

Wealthier people have the advantage here. They can afford better quality food and often have more leisure time to dedicate to cooking / working out (if they do not pay someone to cook for them). Also there is more social pressure to look a certain way.

If you are working two jobs to put food on the table, or are buying processed foods from the local convenience store because grocery stores won't open in your neighborhood, fitness isn't a priority
That reminds me of last year, when Mr.Mathlete drove a float for the local St. Paddy's Day parade and I rode shotgun. Nestled in between two very affluent hamlets is another hamlet, affectionately referred to as The Armpit of the North Shore; it's always been a rough, economically depressed area that never could quite turn around. So, the parade ran through all three hamlets, and I couldn't help but notice that the first group of parade watchers generally looked slim, healthy, like out of a Lands End catalog... the next hamlet (The Armpit) was a markedly different crowd: larger waist circumferences, and definitely less fit-looking overall. Then the parade goers in the final hamlet looked like another slim, fit, Lands End crowd.

Now, I wasn't out there with calipers getting ransom body fat samples, but the difference between the crowds was stark, in terms of overall appearance of health, across all age groups. The interesting thing is, the rougher hamlet has access to all of the same grocery stores as the the surrounding affluent neighborhoods, and even hosts a farmers' market every weekend (except in winter), so it was interesting to observe what a difference socioeconomic levels make.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,011,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
Trainers hate her

Any trainer who truly believes in what they are doing will have nothing but appreciation for her success, that has obviously come about thru some serious training.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
but i've seen plenty of women with small waist on the beach in their 50s
So what! Maybe they LOOK good, BUT....are they genuinely fit, strong, and healthy? Looks can be tremendously deceiving.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina_yucaipa View Post
Strength training is what did it for me
Ah, that's the key! Far too many of the 50+ crowd ( and the younger crowd too ) spend an hour sweating on the cardio equipment and never touch a weight. It's just too much work.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:50 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,233,352 times
Quote:
There is a breakdown in communication here.
I think some posters have confused looking slim or being fit vs. actually being muscular fit like the 50 y/o Jennifer King.

I'm sure the posters see a lot of slim or fit 50 y/o women in their area, but it's hard to believe they are as muscular as Ms.King. She is a rare 50 y/o woman.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:09 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,581,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I think some posters have confused looking slim or being fit vs. actually being muscular fit like the 50 y/o Jennifer King.

I'm sure the posters see a lot of slim or fit 50 y/o women in their area, but it's hard to believe they are as muscular as Ms.King. She is a rare 50 y/o woman.
This is the point I was trying to make.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
This is the point I was trying to make.
Me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness