Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,611,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. When it's your time, it's your time. I remember going to the Harley motorcycle rally a few years back. The ex and his brother rode. I saw a rider in the show wearing a helmet with the usual assortment of stickers on it. One of them cracked me up. It said, "Eat right. Exercise. Stop smoking and drinking. Die anyway."
You can work the odds, don't you think? Improve your odds?

For example, if you have high risk genetics like Harper, seeing an MD for eval regularly or being started on cholesterol -educers or anti-hypertensives could help your odds to living longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 10:33 AM

703 posts, read 616,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
All the evidence points to diet and exercise stacking the deck in your favor. That said, even if you know what card is coming next, doesn't mean you win EVERY time.
Wrong. It might... that's might... because in any particular person's case it is an unknowable, it might help a little at the margins, but to say it "stacks the deck in one's favor" is laughable.

No, not "all the evidence points..." There are some studies that indicate something and some that indicate something else and some that just muddy the waters. And evidence is not proof. Repeatable cause and effect. That does not exist. "Studies show..." just means you have a study that shows "X". It's Medical and usually statistical indications are worthless but people like to believe them

Old 03-02-2017, 11:49 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,062,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
wow - what a story....any idea what your lipids were (Cholesterol)? What diet are you following now?Family history?
my cholesterol was high, but I had it under control prior to the heart attack. Due to my job, my exercise regime wasn't as good as it could have been, but I still rowed about 2-3 times a week.

While there is a history of heart disease on my dad's side of the family - but most made it well past 90 before they passed aways from heart disease -

the problem was my diet. I ate a lot of processed foods, Italian Sausage and red meats, and was not watching portions. I put on a lot of weight during the previous two years.

I am now on a portion-controlled, low sodium Mediterranean diet. Finding low sodium foods is the hardest thing. I don't know why the American diet is so laden with the stuff - there is no need for it.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:12 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,611,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
my cholesterol was high, but I had it under control prior to the heart attack. Due to my job, my exercise regime wasn't as good as it could have been, but I still rowed about 2-3 times a week.

While there is a history of heart disease on my dad's side of the family - but most made it well past 90 before they passed aways from heart disease -

the problem was my diet. I ate a lot of processed foods, Italian Sausage and red meats, and was not watching portions. I put on a lot of weight during the previous two years.

I am now on a portion-controlled, low sodium Mediterranean diet. Finding low sodium foods is the hardest thing. I don't know why the American diet is so laden with the stuff - there is no need for it.
thanks for responding, we can learn a lot from your experience

Old 03-02-2017, 01:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,590,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I have not read through this whole thread, but my guess is he suffered heart issues due to his meat consumption.
Meat consumption doesn't automatically lead to a heart attack.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:27 PM

703 posts, read 616,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Meat consumption doesn't automatically lead to a heart attack.
Now I've heard everything! Don't you know meat is right up there with tobacco, radioactivity, and smallpox. It not only causes heart diseases but it causes everything else a person doesn't like. According to some people.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:38 AM

26,223 posts, read 21,761,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Wrong. It might... that's might... because in any particular person's case it is an unknowable, it might help a little at the margins, but to say it "stacks the deck in one's favor" is laughable.

No, not "all the evidence points..." There are some studies that indicate something and some that indicate something else and some that just muddy the waters. And evidence is not proof. Repeatable cause and effect. That does not exist. "Studies show..." just means you have a study that shows "X". It's Medical and usually statistical indications are worthless but people like to believe them
Everything is a might isn't it? A seat belt might help save your life but it could kill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness