Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:55 PM

412 posts, read 302,199 times

Advertisements

Hello people, what are sports you are (or was) good at? Or at least better than average person ? On the other side, in which sports are you bad ?

So i can be first one:
My favorites :
Weights lifting ( I hope you consider it as a sport ): I am going to the gym 3-4 times per week so i am at good level in this.

Boxing: Ive never did it at competition level, but ive had some boxing trainings and even some tough sparrings in last 2 years. Jabs, hooks, uppercuts, waist and head movement is no strange to me. Taking a punishment is hard part haha. Definitely my favorite sport.

Swimming: I can swim 2 hours without rest. Can do 100 meters in 1:35. I swim only in summer. Sometimes it is boring but good for health.

Gymnastics: just some basic excercises on bar and rings, but still doubt majority of population can do it.

My non-favorites:

Basketball: I am so tragic in this. On the other side i love watch NBA

Soccer: we played this every day when i was kid. I liked it but i was probably worst player at field .

All sports on snow/ice

I hope you guys have nice day and i am curious for you answers. Sorry for my english

Bonus question: Is there any sport in which you wanna be better?

Mine is sprinting. Always jealous at that black guys who can run 100 under 10 seconds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 03:52 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I started Muay Thai and realized, I am just not a fighter. I hesitate to even pretend to fight someone. Im a lover, not a fighter.

Which brings me to this in a smooth transition: I am good with balls. Any sport involving balls hahhaa.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:12 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Pretty good at baseball, soccer, football... absolutely awful at basketball and golf. Tennis I'm pretty crap at as well.

Also good at suffering aka endurance sports, or at least I was. Not phenomenal or anything, 4:50 mile time in high school which is respectable but nothing spectacular. Cycling I bumped up to Cat 3 and sat there for two years. I guess I'm still technically Cat 3 although I'd be first off the back even in a Cat 3 only race, god help me in a small field where they lump 1/2/3 all together.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:43 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times
I narrow down to only one sport, and I stick to it, Handball.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:58 AM

401 posts, read 552,268 times
My favorite sports:

Football: I wasn't a great player, back when I was really fast pre-my last growth spurt (I got really chubby at 17 all of a sudden lol, grew 3 inches and added 10 lbs to my frame - lost all the speed but was finally average height). I played CB back when I was younger. Couldn't really tackle much but I could cover receivers really well. Couldn't make an open field tackle on bigger guys. I've laid out running backs before but have gotten trucked by big receivers/fullbacks. I was always a backup when I played. Special teams occasionally.

Basketball: I've gotten better. When I was working out daily, I had a lot more explosion too. I learned how to do eurosteps and I was getting more elevation on my jumpshot. I pride myself on defense. Where I used to play back in Philadelphia where I lived, we always played rough defense. Hand checking was allowed on most courts and a lot of used to set really mean screens. There were games I had a bloodied nose from a solid screen by an opposing player but we still played on. Lot of trash talking, hard defense, and some crazy good shooters/scorers. But after the games were over, we all had respect for each other. Intensity at the old gym I went there I haven't found yet around where I live now. Used to play on a few summer league teams as a teenager (all skill levels etc). Never averaged more than 6ppg.

Tennis: I used to be a pretty solid player. Played for 10+ years on and off. Can't with the same power I once could, I play with a lot more spin and finesse now because of shoulder problems. Had a few semifinal finishes at local tournaments as a teenager (always lost to someone I found out played D1 tennis later on). Probably the only sport I was above average in amongst peers.

Golf: I started going to the golf range. I've cleared the driver at 250+ feet only once. Went a lot this past summer often after weight-lifting. Hit 200 balls before going home. It was a great workout and my back actually showed a lot of progress using it as supplement to back days at the gym.

Least favorite sports:

Lacrosse: I gave it a shot a few times. Never got the hang of it and I definitely couldn't make the school team since it was one of the few sports that our boys team was good at.

Swimming: It's a great workout but I just didn't get that much into it. I can swim in deep waters etc but could never keep up with doing 10-15 laps for hours in the pool. I have tried supplementing it in my workouts in the past but the gyms I go to that have pools are disgusting.

Weight-lifting: Only a big issue for me due to weak shoulder ligaments. Used to be able to bench 160 in my teens. Now I can't due to a shoulder problem. I can deadlift 225 pretty easily and I rarely do it. I have a huge appetite and I have a good starting build according to my friends who do weight lift. A lot of them have told me if I get devoted for 6-12 months, I could see some really impressive gains. I did take it seriously for awhile before grad school and ended up bulking very nicely from 160 to 170 at 13% body fat. Stopped lifting due to my schedule being too busy =/.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:55 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
Wrestling-I did wrestling in high school and won state in 171, 183, 199 and 215 wt. classes. The last state title I won in the 215 wt. class was back in my senior year of high school.
Weightlifting-Set records in 183, 199, 219 and HWT classes. Won state in each class.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:04 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Meh. Not much.

Excellent equestrian, so so at racquetball, was decent at kick boxing and tai kwan do. We may take up golf, I did better at the driving range than I thought I would. I throw like a girl, which irritates me.

I might start boxing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-07-2017, 02:26 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Meh. Not much.

Excellent equestrian, so so at racquetball, was decent at kick boxing and tai kwan do. We may take up golf, I did better at the driving range than I thought I would. I throw like a girl, which irritates me.

I might start boxing.
I just did (Muay Thai to be specific) and this is so awkward. I never boxed in my life so my punches look ridiculous and my legs are covered with black spots every week.

I can do anything with balls but boxing is just very weird to me. I even hesitate to spar because I worry about the other person. I am clearly not a fighter.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I was good at X/C skiing before they started skating which I am no good at. I was good at racquetball, but now it hurts like hell to walk (Knee surgery is next week) so that has been out for a decade or more. I am good at Atlatl and throwing axes and ok at throwing knives. I was pretty good at sailing, but that has been many years. Also free climbing - my wife has prohibited that and I am not strong enough anymore anyway. I was once really good at jump rope tricks or and Karate and some oriental weapons ( Bo Stick/quarter staff, sai) but that is also in the past. I was a reasonably good mid range bicyclist (18-20 miles) and I still ride some but not with any speed. I was good at Western riding, but i always hated it.

Everything else I am pretty much terrible at. Things that stand out where I am especially terrible: Swimming on the water (ok underwater); golf; football (never really played, not even touch), hockey (cannot skate) - although around here you whisper that if you say it at all; basketball; and right now, running - or even walking for that matter. Oh and fighting while drunk. I was terrible at that. However now I never do one and rarely the other. Back when I did that on occasion I discovered I was very good at the sport of bleeding.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:49 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I just did (Muay Thai to be specific) and this is so awkward. I never boxed in my life so my punches look ridiculous and my legs are covered with black spots every week.

I can do anything with balls but boxing is just very weird to me. I even hesitate to spar because I worry about the other person. I am clearly not a fighter.

I was competent, but I have very aggressive tendencies.

The most important thing I learned? Men are crazy strong, and running is the best option. Nothing like being 105 pounds (I'm not now) and sparring with a Marine. Well.... if I feel running is the best option... maybe I wasn't competent? lol

Ball competency is a good claim to fame.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness