Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 05:34 PM

20 posts, read 37,552 times

Advertisements

I am 16 years old. I am about 5' 9'' to 5' 10'' and around 135lbs. I have recently been interested in a modelling career or acting. I am not fat but I would like to tone up my thighs and arms. I really have no experience in exercising and don't want to mess up or hurt myself. I eat okay, I don't drink soda and I eat fruits and vegetables just about everyday. I also take vitamins everyday. I just need advice on toning my arms and thighs a bit. Any help is much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Well, at 5'9" or 5'10" and 135lbs, it would be impossible to be "fat".

Do you want to go to the gym or work out at home? Either way, here are a few exercises to get you started. I would start with basic exercises like these. Once you are comfortable with your body's limits and proper exercise technique, you could add in more exercises. Go to the sporting goods store and buy pairs of 5, 10 and 15 lbs dumbbells. That should get you started.

Arms/Upper Body
Pushups: Classic exercise. Keep your back straight like a plank. Do them from your knees if necessary. Works you chest, triceps and shoulders.

Shoulder press: Sit in sturdy chair with back straight. Pick up whatever weight of dumbbell you are comfortable with and press straight overhead. Bring back down to shoulder height and repeat for 8-12 repititions. Works shoulders and triceps.

Bicep curls: Stand or sit in a chair. Pick up a comfortable weight and curl each arm. Do 8-12 repititions on each arm. Works biceps (obviously).

Legs/Thighs
Squats: Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Squat down, bending at knees until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Do repititions until thighs burn. If you need more resistance, hold a dumbbell in each hand. Works thighs, hip flexors and gluts.

Lunges: Start with feet slightly closer than shoulder width. Step forward with one foot (further than a normal step) and drop back knee towards the ground. Come back to starting position and repeat on other side. Don't let your front knee go past your toe and don't let your back knee hit the ground. If you haven't done these before, it may take a little practice, but they are an awesome lower body workout. Again, with these if you need more resistance you can hold a dumbbell in each hand. I recommend starting with no weight.

Walking/Hiking: Walk or hike up steep hills. It is a great leg and cardio workout if you do this over hilly terrain. Hiking incoperates more muscles than walking over smooth terrain, particularly in your lower leg. Walking up steps is also a great leg workout. If you have a football stadium or a several story building that you can get access to, those are great places to do a stair workout. But you can do it anywhere there is a flight of steps.

Doing a workout of the exercises above, you could make a nice little 30+ minute routine. You can stretch it out to however long you like by changing the distance you walk/hike.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:15 AM

20 posts, read 37,552 times
I would like to be able to attempt daily exercise at my home rather than a gym. These exercises are a wonderful help! Thanks a million for the advice! I am just looking to tone up my legs and arms and these are just what I need. :]

Old 03-22-2008, 10:35 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannyy. View Post
I am 16 years old. I am about 5' 9'' to 5' 10'' and around 135lbs. I have recently been interested in a modelling career or acting. I am not fat but I would like to tone up my thighs and arms. I really have no experience in exercising and don't want to mess up or hurt myself. I eat okay, I don't drink soda and I eat fruits and vegetables just about everyday. I also take vitamins everyday. I just need advice on toning my arms and thighs a bit. Any help is much appreciated!!
If you don't want to mess up or hurt yourself, consult a trainer. Most learning in fitness involves trial and error: different bodies respond differently to any given exercise. I'm assuming you are female: don't forget to work your back. While you may not think of it as important, it is extremely important to have a strong back, especially if you have strong legs and plan to be pregnant some day. It is very unlikely that you will build any visible back muscles (women typically have difficulty accomplishing this) but the strength will come in handy.

I would recommend (in addition to what has already been posted):

Walking Lunges. Start at bodyweight, progress to holding a gallon of water in each hand (or dumbbells) as you do it.

Pullups/Chinups.

Supermans.
YouTube - Superman exercise for lower back: BodySpex fitness w/ Jai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness