Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I go to the gym about 3 times a week for about 1 hour each time. I lift weights and I run a mile or two each time. I do dumbells, dead weight exercises like dips, and core exercises - back extensions. On the days I am not at the gym I ride my mountain bike or walk or swim. Fitness and sports have been part of my life since I was young.

I put my phone down when I first enter the gym (a very nice gym) and leave it with my keys to focus on my exercise until I finish my workout. The gym has signs saying no cell phone use for consideration of others. People walk all over with cell phones while exercising. Always looking at the cell phone while exercising. Some of it is even humorous to me, one guy always walks around no matter where he is looking at his cell phone and wearing earphones as well, so he cannot hear anything in the gym. It's a wonder he remembers what he did that day.

To me exercise is part mental. We have to focus and concentrate on what we are doing when exercise. This is an important part of training and even exercising to stay in shape.

What do you all think of this that exercise regularly?
i have no idea what is wrong with someone looking at their cell phone. it seems really strange to me that one should sit there completely absent minded waiting between sets. so i have my cell phone in my hand all of the time. not while i am lifting but between sets.

its like that seinfeld episode where elaine is on the plane with joe puddy and instead of reading a magazine he stares at the seat in front of him the whole time. what am i supposed to be doing during that time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 09:55 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
It is just one hour or so to focus, so I disagree with using cell phones while working out. It takes away from your mental focus, it is only one hour to give up your cell phone.
Perhaps their mental focus is superior and this is not the distraction for them that is seems to be for others.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:07 AM

574 posts, read 376,605 times
To each their own. It is not just a gym thing. It is a societal thing. We are becoming attached to cell phones and apps that give us useful information in an instant. Use your imagination to see the next advances as to us all being connected 24/7.

I have been fighting the inevitable. I still use a dumb phone.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
To each their own. It is not just a gym thing. It is a societal thing. We are becoming attached to cell phones and apps that give us useful information in an instant. Use your imagination to see the next advances as to us all being connected 24/7.

I have been fighting the inevitable. I still use a dumb phone.
its called progress

Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
I only care about it when it prevents me from using a machine b/c the person is sitting there watching his social media feeds for 3 minutes between sets. My unscientific but personal experience over the years of working out at gyms is that people who use cell phones (for whatever reasons...stopwatch, music, calls, texting, zombie-ing) take MUCH longer between sets than those who don't.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:07 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
I go to the gym about 3 times a week for about 1 hour each time. I lift weights and I run a mile or two each time. I do dumbells, dead weight exercises like dips, and core exercises - back extensions. On the days I am not at the gym I ride my mountain bike or walk or swim. Fitness and sports have been part of my life since I was young.

I put my phone down when I first enter the gym (a very nice gym) and leave it with my keys to focus on my exercise until I finish my workout. The gym has signs saying no cell phone use for consideration of others. People walk all over with cell phones while exercising. Always looking at the cell phone while exercising. Some of it is even humorous to me, one guy always walks around no matter where he is looking at his cell phone and wearing earphones as well, so he cannot hear anything in the gym. It's a wonder he remembers what he did that day.

To me exercise is part mental. We have to focus and concentrate on what we are doing when exercise. This is an important part of training and even exercising to stay in shape.

What do you all think of this that exercise regularly?
My phone is with me 24x7. I wouldn't think of leaving in my car or in a locker. In fact, I got to the gym a few weeks ago and realized I left it at home. I thought about going home to get it but decided I could get by for an hour or so.

I don't understand the idea of not being able to focus and concentrate. How much concentration is involved between sets of bench presses or squats?

Now the guy who walks around the gym for 45 minutes carrying on a conversation is another story.

And please, don't lecture me about being attached to my phone. I need it for work and family emergencies. I rarely make a phone call from the gym but I need to be reachable.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 07-13-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,901 times
It's so sad that there are some people who are attached to their phone like another appendage.It's really sad.The gym is a place where you can get away from whatever stress and one should leave their stupid devices behind and if they can't do that for even 1 1/2 hours?...then that is someone I wouldn't want to even date.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:25 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I only care about it when it prevents me from using a machine b/c the person is sitting there watching his social media feeds for 3 minutes between sets. My unscientific but personal experience over the years of working out at gyms is that people who use cell phones (for whatever reasons...stopwatch, music, calls, texting, zombie-ing) take MUCH longer between sets than those who don't.
I know in group fitness people who are using their phones are often called out as well because it’s often disruptive to have the dinging and/or light from the phone (many of the classes are more dimly lit) going on throughout the class. If the phone is that important that you can’t get through an hour without it, then you need to not do group fitness. It’s understandable if you have a kid in the daycare and might have an emergency, but if something is otherwise so critical that you can’t go into an hour class without being connected to the phone, perhaps group fitness is not the best option.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:37 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I use my cell phone at the gym, but I keep it in a running belt and don't really touch if it I don't have to, just turn on my music app and let it go (because I hate the gym's top 40 music).

Old 07-13-2018, 12:05 PM

296 posts, read 265,385 times
There is a guy at my gym who actually Face Times while "working out"! He speaks really loudly, walks around holding up his phone in front of his face doing his call, which seems to have to occur daily while he is there.

Attention seeking at its finest, I ignore him and don't even make eye contact. Drives attention seekers nuts when you don't look at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness