Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 07:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times

Advertisements

I use my smartphone to listen to Spotify and have large headphones on to get my pumped up during my workouts but I do let others work in when appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 07:29 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
does this all boil down to a boomer complaining about modern technology? i dont even know what that means "focus on your workout." my workout is pretty simple. i grab something and push (or pull). i dont need to occupy all of my focus for an hour on that task.
Yep. The whole world should stop because...older people hate it. Oh well.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:14 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
What do you all think of this that exercise regularly?
To use one of my favorite clean euphemisms, bullfrog!

For me my cellphone is an essential workout item, I couldn't exercise without it. If I left it home I'd have to go home and get it and return. Same for my headphones (I carry spares).

My #1 priority in working out is my music! Music energizes me and enervates me, it's the neural impulse that powers my body to keep doing boring exercises. Some of them like treadmill are painfully boring, but once I'm done on the tread—for cardio—most of my exercises are incredibly satisfying. (I say incredibly because I cannot find any other reason to enjoy 10 sets 10 reps 100# ab-crunchers.)

Music fuels my exercise. I find my highest energy music fuels my best workouts.

Texting: how would anybody know?

Phone use: why would I care? I can't hear them or barely. Yeah, sure, talk while you're working out and create an oxygen depletion in your blood.

I work out at LA Fitness. I'm not aware of any cellphone usage rules, nor have I encountered any bad behavior at my gym.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:21 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post

I leave mine in the car when I go into the gym. If I absolutely need to disengage from other people, which I pretty much never do, I bring my mp3 player and listen to my music. There is nothing that has to be attended to for the hour that I am at the gym. That's my ME time.
A lot of people, myself included, use our PHONE as an MP3 player.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:24 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
No TVs at your gym? There have always been lots of them at all the gyms I've belonged to, in the cardio area.
You can't change the channel on the ones at my gym.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:27 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
No TVs at your gym? There have always been lots of them at all the gyms I've belonged to, in the cardio area.
There used to be a TV at my gym until they got aerobics equipment that has individual TVs. Someone made the decision that weightlifters don't watch TV.

They also got rid of the music. The explanation was that people complained about whatever music was played. They said some songs were inappropriate. The gym is now totally quiet.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:36 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Mine is with me in the gym. I use the stop watch for timing between sets, look at funny pics or something between sets, and will sometimes video myself lifting so I can critique my form.

Was never able to get comfortable lifting with earphones in. Running with them is fine, but lifting just not comfortable with, though music the gym plays is just fine.

There is a guy at my gym though that will talk on the phone the entire time, lol, I do not know how he does it, he is fit as hell though. Not loud talking either so it does not bother me, the treadmills are much louder.
I don't know. The reggaeton knock off artists they play over the loudspeakers at my gym gets quite irritating at best. It's an uphill battle for my ancient, 35 year old self. I'd rather hit the elliptical and watch some urban exploration videos, and get some lifting done to some Boney James, or Jeff Lorber Fusion, or some Talking Heads.

The Rihanna impostors are for when I go to sleep.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:28 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Meh. I trot on the treadmill (LOL) and half the time I'm playing with my phone too. I don't really care about focusing on my exercise; I care to get in the 30-45 minutes that my doctor recommended and get out of there.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:47 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
How about you focus on YOU and let the rest of us take care of our own business. If it doesn't affect you personally, stop making a big deal over it.

How bout you mind your own business and let us that want to focus on our workouts and are serious about exercise leave our cell phones at the door.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:27 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
How bout you mind your own business and let us that want to focus on our workouts and are serious about exercise leave our cell phones at the door.

Do you realize this is 2018? Cell phones are ubiquitous. They have become a necessity and we will only become more dependent on this kind of technology. Just look at the advancements in the past decade in cell phone technology. Think about the idea of your cell phone monitoring your workout and other health issues. It could upload the information to your doctor and program your next workout for you.

BTW, it is not just the younger generation who are dependent on their cell phones. I'm 63 and there are people a lot older than me who wouldn't think of exercising without their phone.

And as far as people serious about their workouts, have you run any races lately? I see many people carrying their phones during races. Possibly the extreme is the basketball league where I play. Guys leave their phones laying on the side of the court so they can check their messages when they're not in the game. I've had to push them to the side so I don't step on them. But these guys are mostly a third my age so I guess they don't know any better.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 07-14-2018 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness