Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,726,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
I am pretty sure that nobody wakes up one morning and says "I have decided that I want to be obese". Maybe a sumo wrestler but not many other people. It is not so simple. There are multiple life factors and psychological issues that can easily affect people. And once you get big, it is extremely difficult to reverse all the damage and abstain from all the bad habits.
they dont wake up deciding to be obese. that isnt what i said. being obese is a matter of many small decisions that add up to obesity. those small decisions are short term ones and so many people choose the short term satisfaction over the long term one of remaining at a healthy weight.

they are presented with a cost/benefit analysis and they choose the one that they feel benefits them more. short term satisfaction.

it is very easy to not be obese. it just isnt preferred by obese people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 08:27 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,422,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they dont wake up deciding to be obese. that isnt what i said. being obese is a matter of many small decisions that add up to obesity. those small decisions are short term ones and so many people choose the short term satisfaction over the long term one of remaining at a healthy weight.

they are presented with a cost/benefit analysis and they choose the one that they feel benefits them more. short term satisfaction.

it is very easy to not be obese. it just isnt preferred by obese people.
The problem is that for obese people, it's very difficult to lose weight and maintain that loss over time. Their body chemistry has adjusted for them to hang on to that weight at all costs. It's easy for gym rats who've never had a weight problem to say, "just eat less," but there's really a lot more to it than that.

HuffPo ran a really interesting article about obesity last month. It's long, but worth the read:
https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/...sity-is-wrong/

Quote:
For 60 years, doctors and researchers have known two things that could have improved, or even saved, millions of lives. The first is that diets do not work. Not just paleo or Atkins or Weight Watchers or Goop, but all diets. Since 1959, research has shown that 95 to 98 percent of attempts to lose weight fail and that two-thirds of dieters gain back more than they lost. The reasons are biological and irreversible. As early as 1969, research showed that losing just 3 percent of your body weight resulted in a 17 percent slowdown in your metabolism—a body-wide starvation response that blasts you with hunger hormones and drops your internal temperature until you rise back to your highest weight. Keeping weight off means fighting your body’s energy-regulation system and battling hunger all day, every day, for the rest of your life.

The second big lesson the medical establishment has learned and rejected over and over again is that weight and health are not perfect synonyms. Yes, nearly every population-level study finds that fat people have worse cardiovascular health than thin people. But individuals are not averages: Studies have found that anywhere from one-third to three-quarters of people classified as obese are metabolically healthy.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:10 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,726,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The problem is that for obese people, it's very difficult to lose weight and maintain that loss over time. Their body chemistry has adjusted for them to hang on to that weight at all costs. It's easy for gym rats who've never had a weight problem to say, "just eat less," but there's really a lot more to it than that.

HuffPo ran a really interesting article about obesity last month. It's long, but worth the read:
the problem is the same thing. the cost/benefit analysis. a lot of it is that the penalties for choosing short term satisfaction arent seen quickly while the satisfaction is immediately. the body chemistry didnt change, they just dont see enough short term satisfaction maintaining a healthy weight.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:05 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,557,358 times
Burn more calories than you take in. That’s how it’s done. You can come up with fancy devices, diets, and workouts, but in the end, it’s about limiting calories and exercising.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:30 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,559,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

Well, I guess I'm part of that 2-5% then.

I first crossed the top pound level of 'overweight' and thus into obesity over 25 years ago, and have since gone from obesity to normal weight four times (I'm now in the normal range at 187 at 6' 3 1/4"). The primary difference between this time and other times, for me, is that this time a much higher percentage of my total calories come from protein and fat, rather than carbs. I keep track of all of my calories. If I'm hungry, I eat...but I try to eat just until I feel satisfied...to avoid 'mindless eating'. My weight loss has always been on my own....keeping track of my calories, writing down what I eat, etc.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:16 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,961,724 times
It's called moderation and not being lazy. Next?

Old 10-25-2018, 05:58 AM

15,221 posts, read 10,331,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I saw a long video from Jason Fung MD last night. There were some things I agreed with, others not so much.
1. I agree with the fact that practice of a 1950s approach to eating maybe better than eating every 2-4 hours a day.
1a. Decades ago obesity was very low.
1b. It’s more practical to stick to eating 3 healthy meals than 3 meals and 2-3 snacks.
1c. Even today we are told not to eat after 7pm. I don’t see what’s wrong with waiting until after a morning workout to eat.
1d. Intermittent fasting is for people who are over weight not people who are within the BMI they are supposed to be.
1e. Access skin from losing weight does not have to be an issue.
1f. The body is smarter than people/most doctors gives it credit for.
1g. People fast for whatever reason around the world all the time and nothing bad happens.

However I do NOT agree with going days without eating anything regularly.

Please weigh in and educate me if I’m wrong.

I knew I had heard the name Jason Fong before. My new chiropractor who does a technique very few do told me about him when I told him I still wanted to lost another 7 pounds.

Question about 1e. If you lose 25 pounds in your 60's I don't think there is much that can be done about excess skin. I rejoined a gym 3 months ago after a year's hiatus (in that year I was hospitalized for 11 days with pancreatitis and had my gall bladder out which jump started my weight loss). While I feel stronger and have more definition in my arms & legs, the looser skin on the tops of my legs & underneath my arms hasn't budged. As we age we lose collagen which is what helps keep our skin firm & smooth. So I'm curious as to your statement that excess skin from losing weight doesn't have to be an issue. Please enlighten me.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:26 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,491,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
It's called moderation and not being lazy. Next?
It also sometimes requires seeing your doctor, having blood work done, and balancing whichever hormones may be out of whack.

I spent most of a year eating healthy foods, keeping my calories under 1600 per day (at 250 pounds, this is a relatively large deficit), balancing my macros, swimming a mile (that's around 65-70 lengths of a standard pool, I did 72) 3 times a week and working out with a trainer for an hour 3 days a week. Know how much weight I lost? 18 pounds in 10 months. I went to my doctor, ran a bunch of blood work, found out I have hypothyroidism and PCOS, got on meds for those (Metformin and Synthroid). Now I've lost 50 pounds in the last 7 months and am not having to work nearly as hard at it.

It isn't just about moderation and not being lazy. Sometimes there are other issues.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,584,094 times
Default Fixed it for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it is very easy to not be obese....
It is very EASY to not be skinny.

OR

It is very HARD to not be obese.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,842,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I've hung out on Dr Fung's website quite a bit. I find it extremely informative and easy to search for answers.

I do intermittent fasting, but not the days at a time type of fasting. I fast for 16-18 hours a day and I feel fantastic! Am I sometimes hungry? Yep. I just tell my body to knock it off, drink some water, and then get busy with other things.

Obesity is clearly a problem in the US, it's simply too easy and cheap to buy unhealthy foods. And "no one can eat just one" is practically true! Who can eat a single serving of potato chips? Or cookies?

That's a myth, and overweight people love to believe it. It's easy, but it's not cheaper.

This has been discussed ad nauseum, too. Plenty of us here can show someone how to shop for healthful foods and spend less money IF they're inclined to get out of the "Chips" aisle. That crap isn't cheap, and neither are prepared foods. One can purchase quality ingredients to make, and freeze, any number of meals yielding many servings at a FAR cheaper price per serving.

People don't want to "move around the kitchen." If it's not Shake 'n Bake, Heat 'n Eat, or Grab 'n Go, they're not interested.

Stop perpetuating the Big Lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness