Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 08:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,796,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
It is very EASY to not be skinny.

OR

It is very HARD to not be obese.
yeah, no. its easy to not be obese. being "skinny" is a bit tougher. being slightly overweight is probably where most people can very easily be. if you are heavier than you want to be, just eat less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 03:56 PM

21,921 posts, read 25,257,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That's a myth, and overweight people love to believe it. It's easy, but it's not cheaper.

This has been discussed ad nauseum, too. Plenty of us here can show someone how to shop for healthful foods and spend less money IF they're inclined to get out of the "Chips" aisle. That crap isn't cheap, and neither are prepared foods. One can purchase quality ingredients to make, and freeze, any number of meals yielding many servings at a FAR cheaper price per serving.

People don't want to "move around the kitchen." If it's not Shake 'n Bake, Heat 'n Eat, or Grab 'n Go, they're not interested.

Stop perpetuating the Big Lie.
Yeah, potatoes and canola oil are a lot cheaper than potato chips. Same thing, just you pay a lot more for the packaging and processing with the potato chips. It CAN be expensive, but it doesn't need to be. Especially if you're okay getting the bulk of your calories from staple foods, rice, beans, wheat, and so on and then spending the money on vegetables which generally are quite expensive per calorie but nutrient dense it's really not expensive at all.

A big bag of potato chips has around 2,000 calories in it and might cost $4. Really, that's pretty inexpensive. But a 10-pound bag of potatoes is even cheaper and has more calories. Canola/vegetable oil is basically free. A gallon jug of that stuff is what, $6 or so. Salt is cheap. That's basically potato chips. With all the money you save by eating potatoes you dice up and pan fry yourself, you can include some spinach and and a few eggs and it's no more expensive than potato chips. Plus it has spinach and eggs. Now if you try and get your calories from spinach, sure that's expensive.

Fruits and vegetables tend to be the most expensive things you can eat in terms of calories per $ followed by meat and fish. Dairy, eggs, and processed junk foods like your potato chips and sodas and candy bars, are roughly equally expensive. Obviously there's expensive cheese and expensive chocolate bars but just on average about the same. Beans/legumes/nuts/grains and especially fats and oils are less expensive than processed junk foods. So get your calories from beans/legumes/nuts/grains and fats and oils rather than junk food. With the money you save there you can spend it on fruits and vegetables and really not spend anymore than you would getting most of your calories from junk food. You may not get enough vegetables/fruits even doing so as with a nothing but junk food budget, but some is better than none which is what you'd get with a nothing but junk food budget.

That extends to all sorts of stuff. A big tub of plain yogurt is pretty cheap. Add your own fruit instead of buying those yogurt + preservative Yoplait things. If that's too expensive just buy the cheapest jelly you can find and then add some more sugar. It'll be cheaper than Yoplait and the same thing.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,864,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
It also sometimes requires seeing your doctor, having blood work done, and balancing whichever hormones may be out of whack.

I spent most of a year eating healthy foods, keeping my calories under 1600 per day (at 250 pounds, this is a relatively large deficit), balancing my macros, swimming a mile (that's around 65-70 lengths of a standard pool, I did 72) 3 times a week and working out with a trainer for an hour 3 days a week. Know how much weight I lost? 18 pounds in 10 months. I went to my doctor, ran a bunch of blood work, found out I have hypothyroidism and PCOS, got on meds for those (Metformin and Synthroid). Now I've lost 50 pounds in the last 7 months and am not having to work nearly as hard at it.

It isn't just about moderation and not being lazy. Sometimes there are other issues.
For most everyone, it is simply they eat too much.

I seriously doubt in one generation, so many people all of a sudden developed "other issues" causing them to explode the obesity rate.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:37 PM

876 posts, read 816,115 times
Absent a medical or psychological condition, becoming obese is the cumulative effect of thousands of bad choices. Maybe people just decide that enjoyment of food is more important than body image or longevity.

This is not to judge or fat shame. I'm of average weight and have been this way for all but a couple years, so I don't have a tendency to pack it on . And I'm probably more vain than the average person about my appearance, so I'm always doing some form of exercise.

In my early 40s I went from 195 to almost 215 lbs in a couple years. The weight gain happened because I didn't moderate my diet after my metabolism slowed down. At 6' I never looked fat in clothes, but I started feeling bad seeing my belly pooch out and doughy looking body.

Never went on a diet, just did reasonable things like eliminating fast food and reducing portion sizes. These days I'm back to 200 and stay there + or - 5 lbs. It takes food discipline and training oneself not to overeat every time.

For an exercise, it's good to skip a meal now and then. Allow yourself to savor the feeling not of being full, but being REALLY hungry. It's true what they say - that it sharpens your senses. If you really want to get hunger training, try fasting the whole day and finding a place where you know there will be incredible food aromas and just inhale. You will probably start salivating like Pavlov's dog. When you do finally succumb and have to eat, may sure you eat slowly and savor. It will be the best meal you've had in a while.

Last edited by A1eutian; 10-26-2018 at 10:50 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 04:39 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,358,239 times
I hate cooking these days and many nights I will have an Atkins frozen dinner. Has plenty of protein with little carbs. On nights when I do cook I will make some fish and either a veggie or a salad.

Last night I started reading The Diabetes Code which my chiropractor loaned me. It is eye opening I can tell you that. Diabetes is running rampant through this country these days and the biggest jump has been in the last 25 years. Most Americans eat way too much sugar and carbs.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:04 AM

24,742 posts, read 9,538,748 times
Nothing short of paying people to eat and exercise is going to solve obesity. And the people who have that privilege are fitness models and bodybuilders who do it for a living

We as a society have got to come to terms that we reap what we sow.

We wanted massive junk food in stores, restaurants, and fast food joints in the name of capitalism and Americanism. Now we are addicted to this food with no exercise.

No diet, gym, cultural movement, or trainer can force millions of lazy Americans to go to the gym and stop eating crap.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:07 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,796,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Nothing short of paying people to eat and exercise is going to solve obesity. And the people who have that privilege are fitness models and bodybuilders who do it for a living

We as a society have got to come to terms that we reap what we sow.

We wanted massive junk food in stores, restaurants, and fast food joints in the name of capitalism and Americanism. Now we are addicted to this food with no exercise.

No diet, gym, cultural movement, or trainer can force millions of lazy Americans to go to the gym and stop eating crap.
id like to see the elimination of employer sponsored health plans and everyone having to buy their own health insurance that is priced based on their individual health situations. that would give people a financial incentive to being healthier.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,864,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
id like to see the elimination of employer sponsored health plans and everyone having to buy their own health insurance that is priced based on their individual health situations. that would give people a financial incentive to being healthier.
No, they would create absurd criteria in an effort to maximize profits.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:43 PM

386 posts, read 328,076 times
People who are heavier are not necessarily unhealthy. Eating processed food, restaurant food filled with butter,salt, sugar, and oil, overuse of soda and coffee, prescription pill use and lack of exercise all contribute to being unhealthy. Being skinny does not mean a person is healthy.

Last edited by slowdude222; 10-28-2018 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 06:12 PM

26,439 posts, read 46,702,019 times
Don't consume wheat, and you will be far less hungry- leading to far fewer calories and carbohydrates consumed. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant and leads to a massive toll in healthcare costs and deleterious societal costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness