Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 11:00 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Yes, they absolutely would.There are some people that are resorting to a toxic chemical (DNP) used to make TNT, ammunition and bug spray. It destroys DNA in the cells by heating up your entire body. It increases your metabolism up to 50%. You can apparently drop 10-20 pounds of pure fat or so overnight if you don't die first (it cooks you from the inside) and it does permanent and irreversible damage to your cells if you manage to get away with taking it and not ending up in the hospital or something. And folks take it. Why diet when you can pop a pill.

https://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-yo...scary-comeback

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3550200/
Your post got a lot wrong. DNP doesn't destroy your DNA, it uncouples the mitochondria (part of the cell where energy is produced) so that it will continue to burn energy, like slipping the clutch in a car with a manual transmission. It doesn't cause "permanent and irreversible damage to your cells" either.

DNP is in fact dangerous though, as the uncoupling response (and rise in body temperature) can be harmful or fatal. The thing to understand though is that the uncoupling response is dose dependent, so it is vital that anyone using it must research it properly and understand the dosing protocols. To the best of my recollection, 600mg/day is the accepted upper limit of "safe" use.

Used responsibly, DNP is a great weight loss aid as it has essentially zero real side effects until you push the dosing level too high. There was even news a couple years back that someone was working on FDA approval of a DNP type medicine to help treat diabetes, but I don't recall what ever came of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 08:40 AM

9,385 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
It was still the straw that broke the camels back. www.google.com/search?q=rich+pianna+preworkout+death

"The supplement industry has brain washed muscle building enthusiasts into thinking that pre workouts supplements are needed to build muscle and strength. However nothing can be further from the truth. Not one single study has shown that ANY pre workout supplement (those containing stimulants) increases muscle mass. I never recommend a pre workout supplement that contains stimulants. I believe they are counterproductive, catabolic, and fat promoting. Therefore let me give you the top 10 reasons why pre workout supplements suck. https://proteinfactory.com/pre-workout-side-effects/"

Then for I searched GNC sucks cause that place does suck I won't even walk into the one in the mall cause right away some sales dude with the pressure you can't even look around at all the labels designed to deceive you.

Oh this stuff must be awesome its got lightning bolts on the label and the words nitro and TNT in every other sentence, and "maximum performance" ya sure.

Can I help you ? I am 'smart' I am 30 years old working minimum wage at the mall I will "help" sell you the most over priced crap with the biggest sales incentive wile lying over and over right to your face.

This **** "specially formulated" to help you bulk up 3000 calories wow ! (serving size 10 scoops)

This **** builds lean muscle and has only 300 calories wow ! Read the back (serving size 1 scoop)

And don't forget your *pre workout* nothing says health like taking a nasty concoction of low grade chemistry set stimulants before exerting yourself.
Your Google link stated that Rick SNORTED pre-workouts, lol. Again, not sure what that proves. I'm sure if you snorted salt every day you could die from that too. Just don't snort things that aren't meant to be snorted and you should be juuuuuust fine.

In terms of whatever studies you're citing, many PWOs are loaded with substances like creatine, BCAAs, Taurine, etc......which have dozens and dozens of studies citing their benefit to muscle-building.

I don't claim that all PWOs are effective and safe, many have proprietary blends that I wouldn't touch as you can't see what is in them and they aren't regulated.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:34 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Your post got a lot wrong. DNP doesn't destroy your DNA...
DNP is in fact dangerous though, as the uncoupling response (and rise in body temperature) can be harmful or fatal.... Used responsibly, DNP is a great weight loss aid as it has essentially zero real side effects ....

Thank you for your clarification. I have not been interested in DNP so I spat out the gym talk about it vice extensive research (included a link but didn't read) which I guess if you want to responsibly post, one should do the real research. When I was with a trainer, he brought it up and told us to avoid it. A great weight loss aid? In a paragraph previous to that you stated that it is in fact dangerous/potentially fatal so I don't know if that would put it in the great weight loss aid bucket for most folks - especially considering how young athletes and desperate dieters tend to go overboard regardless of warnings. I am a former ephedra user (really liked it - it was great for feeling alert) so I am not that afraid of diet aids. But no way would I consider using DNP.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:07 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,346 times
Dirtbikerider, why are you so angry?

If you don't like pre-workout, don't use it. Simple as that.

Why are you so angry?

Old 01-03-2019, 06:17 AM

Can you intelligently state which ingredient(s), exactly, are "poison?" Is it caffeine? If so, I'd have a bigger problem with Starbucks than I would with supplement companies.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Can you intelligently state which ingredient(s), exactly, are "poison?" Is it caffeine? If so, I'd have a bigger problem with Starbucks than I would with supplement companies.
Definitely not caffeine. In fact, the research is very positive about the benefits of caffeine. It appears to be the only pre-workout supplement that is both safe and beneficial. I read one research study that said caffeine in tablet form and not coffee acts as a pre-workout fat burner. Sorry, I don't have the cite handy.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Definitely not caffeine. In fact, the research is very positive about the benefits of caffeine. It appears to be the only pre-workout supplement that is both safe and beneficial. I read one research study that said caffeine in tablet form and not coffee acts as a pre-workout fat burner. Sorry, I don't have the cite handy.
So creatine isn't safe or beneficial? What about BCAAs?

Old 01-03-2019, 08:11 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
So creatine isn't safe or beneficial? What about BCAAs?
Sure they are beneficial, I take both. But why would you take them before working out? I found I can't take creatine on an empty stomach.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:03 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Sure they are beneficial, I take both. But why would you take them before working out? I found I can't take creatine on an empty stomach.
FWIW, this may explain your stomach upset w/ creatine >

and one more regarding protein intake timing > https://youtu.be/42PTdcxTfpc?t=161

Last edited by flamadiddle; 01-03-2019 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-03-2019, 10:01 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
Many of these products will leave you in very bad shape. Anything Phene is a danger, mostly. Scary migraines and heart palpitations are some of the side effects.

The best product I have used, with good results, is a plain protein shakes, spoon fed creatine powder, and multivitamins, and sweet n low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness