Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,658,671 times

Advertisements

I just want to stay in shape and be healthy. I was wondering if any of you here have asthma or another lung disease that limits what you can do? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 12:26 PM

22,064 posts, read 25,429,492 times
Pretty much anything. As a kid I had asthma and COPD. Allergy shots, Claritin, and Benadryl to control seasonal allergies, steroid inhaler during allergy season, kept a rescue inhaler with me, on and off amoxicillin and Albuterol for the recurrent bronchitis. Occasionally I was benched but for the most part it was manageable and I was active in sports, swimming, hiking, and doing the normal stuff that kids do. Nowadays I just take Claritin and Benadryl. Once in a while I'll get an asthma attack, but they're mild now so I just stop for a few minutes and drink some water don't do intense exercise afterwords. I can still run, ride a bike or whatever just no sprinting.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:56 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,765,888 times
There are situations where I know I will have exertional asthma- particularly when I exercise earlier in the morning when my body’s defenses haven’t kicked in. We tend to be the best in terms of allergies from around midday to evening, so my performance is normally markedly better during that time of day. When I work out in the mornings, I typically take my rescue inhaler prior to starting- 30 minutes is ideal. This is an absolutely a fine thing to do and my allergist knows about it. When I have tried to work out before 8am, it is nearly impossible. One time I was literally dripping with sweat and thought I would keel over. Even with 8am workouts, I tend to struggle. However, I have decided I won’t bother trying before 8am- it is just too much for me.

During the evening when my allergies are acting up, I still tend to have trouble doing intense abdominal exercises, but usually don’t have trouble with anything else. I just do what I can with the abdominals and it isn’t as challenging. I am not a runner due to foot/joint issues, but I am able to go on the elliptical and do other cardiovascular exercise without difficulty.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:57 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,751,898 times
I have mild exercise-induced asthma. I just use an inhaler before doing workouts that will challenge my cardio/conditioning (rare these days lol, but plan to get back into it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness