Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times

Advertisements

I think my legs are getting stronger.
I come & go, am very active. I did spend a littletime sitting today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 07:44 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I just lift my keyboard and monitor onto the counter next to my desk. Voila.

Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
in terms of exercise stand-up desks are terribly overrated.
You could have saved yourself the trouble of a self-righteous rant by reading the entire thread and realizing that no one has said that standing at a desk is exercise.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Today was my first full day with my stand-up desk. I stayed on my feet nearly all day. It is motorized but I never lowered it. I'm super excited about it. I have a cushy mat and was sock-footed much of the time. Actually I ran out and bought the mat at lunch.

Has anyone else gone to this? If so, what benefits have you seen?

I've always thought whatever is least comfortable is what needs the most improvement. I'm expecting my feet to get in better shape.
I bought one for a coworker who was experiencing back issues. After a month of the stand up desk he was back to feeling good again. Unfortunately, management took a dim view of him standing at his desk so the new stand up desk disappeared the day after he retired. Idiots

Old 05-29-2019, 06:33 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
If my upper back is hurting from sitting too long I raise the desk and after a while my lower back starts to hurt. It just depends on what part of my back I want to hurt less. :-( However I think having the option is a great alternative for people who sit at a desk all day.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I've been hiking and my legs were complaining a little yesterday. I was away from my desk a lot, thankfully.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:47 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If my upper back is hurting from sitting too long I raise the desk and after a while my lower back starts to hurt. It just depends on what part of my back I want to hurt less. :-( However I think having the option is a great alternative for people who sit at a desk all day.
or you could get a chiropractor to look at your sitting posture... your back shouldn't hurt from just sitting in a chair, or standing

Old 05-30-2019, 06:04 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
If you have back pain you likely have weak core muscles. Work on your core every other day and you won't have a need for some gimmicky stand-up desk.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:16 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Standing puts pressure on the spine. Sitting slows blood flow. Pick your poison. Moderation,movement,fluctuating. That's the key.

I'm required to stand at my hotel job. Bending /leaning to view the monitor. Neck pain and back pain. So luckily we have a foot mat. It cushons.

If your young you may not feel the discomfort...years of standing or leaning..that's what creates problems...

Old 05-30-2019, 06:49 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
or you could get a chiropractor to look at your sitting posture... your back shouldn't hurt from just sitting in a chair, or standing
I started seeing a new one recently; I'll ask him about my posture. I try to sit straight but I can't pull my desk chair far enough in because of the standing desk thing so I'm always leaning a little forward in my chair.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:25 PM

1,198 posts, read 661,569 times
I had a standing desk installed in my cubicle at work so I can sit or stand as needed. The reason I did it is because I have chronic pain that comes and goes in my tailbone, and sitting for long periods can be excruciating. I do get up and walk every hour, and I take two fifteen minute walks outside in late morning and early afternoon. I exercise before work and sometimes after too. But I still sit a lot at work. With the stand up desk I have been choosing to stand the last hour or so of work to alleviate the tailbone pressure. I was using a donut pillow but it messes with my posture. And here I am sitting at my computer at home lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness