Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 08:31 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
They are different now. I can't actually explain how but they are. So is the fast food. If I eat McDonalds now; I'm done for the rest of my day. It makes me feel sluggish & full.

Our food reminds me of when they used to experiment with saltpeter in prisons. Maybe that's what's wrong; our entire food supply has become 'institutionalized'.
You can’t honestly say that your body in 1982 is the same as your body is in 2019. Most people who were alive in 1982 can’t eat and drink the same things now as they could in 1982 and feel this same way. Younger bodies (assuming they were not child bodies) can take more than older adult bodies can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 09:31 PM

5,181 posts, read 3,097,864 times
What an entertaining thread! Among the many insights:

Obese people have to eat more to prevent malnourishment,
We're “fit fat” and have good labs,
Mothers wake up one morning, and Shazam! — their child is 60 pounds heavier,
We're so stupid in the year 2019 that we can’t order a small hamburger and fries,
Discussion of Rx drugs is the only safe topic at social gatherings,
The Atlantic is a magazine edited by chimpanzees.

Thanks — a real eye opener.

Last edited by TimAZ; 09-07-2019 at 09:56 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 09:33 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You can’t honestly say that your body in 1982 is the same as your body is in 2019. Most people who were alive in 1982 can’t eat and drink the same things now as they could in 1982 and feel this same way. Younger bodies (assuming they were not child bodies) can take more than older adult bodies can.
Of course. I was saying I think the actual food is different too. I started noticing the way McDonalds food made me feel about 4 years ago but a lot of the foods that poster mentioned taste differently to me as well.

I mean, it could be partly me; my lactose intolerance that seemed to disappear after adolescence has crept back on me now.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Prescriptions were stronger in the ‘80s. Quaaludes, anyone. Give it a break. It wasn’t an idyllic time in 1984.
I didn't take any prescription drugs then either. I never said it was idyllic by the way.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:00 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Read Wheat Belly. Whole grains are a major part of the problem, not an "improvement."
No, not buying it. Processed foods are the problem, whole grains are not. Overeating crappy foods is th e cause of obesity. Its easy to blame something, and maybe grains are different. But three is such a thing as monitoring what you eat and not overeating.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:31 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No, not buying it. Processed foods are the problem, whole grains are not. Overeating crappy foods is th e cause of obesity. Its easy to blame something, and maybe grains are different. But three is such a thing as monitoring what you eat and not overeating.
They are both part of the problem (processed and grains).

As a kid in the 70s, we rarely went to McDonalds. The closest one to us was not in a good area. We had Friendly's and Howard Johnson's, but even those were rare treats.

My mom baked every weekend. We were allowed 3 cookies as a snack. We often got an apple in our punchbag - but not with cookies, it was either or.

I do remember sneaking cookies into the classroom - it really wasn't allowed. Nor were drinks. The thought of so many kids bringing coffee into the classroom these days is frankly shocking to me.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:07 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
They are both part of the problem (processed and grains).

As a kid in the 70s, we rarely went to McDonalds. The closest one to us was not in a good area. We had Friendly's and Howard Johnson's, but even those were rare treats.

My mom baked every weekend. We were allowed 3 cookies as a snack. We often got an apple in our punchbag - but not with cookies, it was either or.

I do remember sneaking cookies into the classroom - it really wasn't allowed. Nor were drinks. The thought of so many kids bringing coffee into the classroom these days is frankly shocking to me.
Yes. Nobody ate as often, snacking throughout the day. Eating so frequently, and particularly eating sugar so frequently, is the cause of diabetes. Eating so frequently while stressed is also the cause of weight gain.

The fact that the processed "food" today is artificially loaded with salt and sugar compounds the problem. Even the fast food in the 60s was close to "organic."

Old 09-08-2019, 05:26 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes. Nobody ate as often, snacking throughout the day. Eating so frequently, and particularly eating sugar so frequently, is the cause of diabetes. Eating so frequently while stressed is also the cause of weight gain.

The fact that the processed "food" today is artificially loaded with salt and sugar compounds the problem. Even the fast food in the 60s was close to "organic."
Wonder bread was introduced in the 20s. Canned food was popular in the ‘50s as were frozen dinners.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:40 AM

57 posts, read 47,892 times
People were certainly thinner in the 80s and before, compared with now. Even young people. I am always a bit shocked whenever I watch old movies and TV shows from past decades. People today are simply more - well, swollen. I suspect additives and other crap that they put in foods are a partial cause, as well as more enormous portions in restaurants. I was never 'skinny' and don't want to be as I don't find bones attractive, but I was definitely smaller in the 70s & 80s. I never had a weight problem until the very late 80s and through the early 90s, and one reason was junk food & sodas. The other reason was laziness, which I admit to now. I keep the weight off by working out 6 days a week, mostly doing Zumba or power walking at local parks. I cut out sodas but I still use sugar in my coffee (no creamer, as I am lactose intolerant these days). I also indulge in low fat treats while making sure that I get my veggies & fresh fruit servings.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:53 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
We often got an apple in our punchbag - but not with cookies, it was either or.
Of course that should read "lunchbag" - autocorrect strikes again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Funny thing, in the late 80s I went to my doctor. A friend had given me a book on hypoglycemia, which I read and really identified with. My doctor didn't believe in it really, but told me if eating more smaller meals a day made me feel better than eating 2-3 meals per day, by all means do it.

So I became a grazer. That only became worse when I was bored in office jobs.

30 years later...... yep, I'm watching my blood sugar. Not diabetic, but I can definitely see the affect grazing has had on my levels! If I stick to a protein diet, I am not hungry at all during the day.

When I started reading labels in the 90s I couldn't believe how many things had sugar in them!

Quote:
Wonder bread was introduced in the 20s. Canned food was popular in the ‘50s as were frozen dinners.
Wonder Bread ingredients have changed over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness