Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:19 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,170 times

Advertisements

I just got back in the groove of working out about 3 weeks ago and have been doing a superset workout which I enjoy. I've seen my body shape up in a short amount of time but I'm not sure my workout is pushing me enough or is the best superset workout. Does anyone have a great 3 or 4 day a week superset workout they have done that is proven to shape you up in a 4 weeks or so? Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
Supersets are generally meant to focus on one particular muscle group. I wouldn't do more than one or--at most--two true "supersets" in any given workout. The second superset is probably going to lack power due to you burning out on the first one--even if you switch muscle groups.

What I recommend is adding a dumbbell equivilant exercise to whatever you are doing. Flat-press with the bar first, then do it again with dumbbells. Curl on the breacher bench with the EZ bar, then do concentration curls or hammers with dumbells. Etc.

Consult a trainer for \i{real} advice.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:37 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,643 times
If you want to kick your own ass, superset opposing pairs in a push/pull super set. For example pair up bench press with bent over rows, pullups with dips, deadlifts and military presses (and watch yourself puke), lunges and good mornings... etc.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:48 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
I generally alternate push-pull exercises, though not in a true superset fashion. For example, after doing a set of curls ( biceps ), I then do a set of pushdowns ( triceps ) while my biceps are recovering. When I need to catch my breath, I do calf raises or ab work, then back to whatever muscle pair I'm working that day. Working out in this manner increases intensity and really speeds up the workout ( I'm in and out of the gym in 40 minutes or less ). It also eliminates the need to do specific cardiovascular work, becasue the workout itself takes care of that.

I also limit each body part to just 3 sets, which has allowed me to maintain the strength I had when I was 40 even now at age 59. I see most people doing waaaay too many sets and they pay for that overtraining with a loss of strength. But then again everybody is different and we all have our personal prefences. There is no absolute BEST way to workout. You gotta find what works for YOU.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:05 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I just got back in the groove of working out about 3 weeks ago and have been doing a superset workout which I enjoy. I've seen my body shape up in a short amount of time but I'm not sure my workout is pushing me enough or is the best superset workout. Does anyone have a great 3 or 4 day a week superset workout they have done that is proven to shape you up in a 4 weeks or so? Any feedback is appreciated.
I don't use weights much, but I do a lot of bodyweight circuits and perform about 5-6 cycles of each, with little rest in between. I also like this because it requires no gym, hits the whole body, takes little time and can be done almost anywhere. An example would be:

Burpees 10-20 reps
pushups 20-30 reps
squats 20-30 reps
mountain climbers 20-30 reps
pullups 10-15 reps
situps or other ab excercise 10-20 reps
jump rope for 1-2 min

if I feeling really adventerous, I will run a short distance around my building, as fast as I can.

No rest between excercises, 5-6 times. This is just the amount of reps I do, as you can adjust them for your own fitness level. I also never repeat the same routine twice.

a bodyweight circuit will be great for days you don't feel like heading to the gym, and believe me, this works

Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I generally alternate push-pull exercises, though not in a true superset fashion. For example, after doing a set of curls ( biceps ), I then do a set of pushdowns ( triceps ) while my biceps are recovering. When I need to catch my breath, I do calf raises or ab work, then back to whatever muscle pair I'm working that day. Working out in this manner increases intensity and really speeds up the workout ( I'm in and out of the gym in 40 minutes or less ). It also eliminates the need to do specific cardiovascular work, becasue the workout itself takes care of that.

I also limit each body part to just 3 sets, which has allowed me to maintain the strength I had when I was 40 even now at age 59. I see most people doing waaaay too many sets and they pay for that overtraining with a loss of strength. But then again everybody is different and we all have our personal prefences. There is no absolute BEST way to workout. You gotta find what works for YOU.
I agree 100%

Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
Gil3 wrote:
a bodyweight circuit will be great for days you don't feel like heading to the gym, and believe me, this works
You're right about that! I've gone thru brief periods of relying exclusively on bodywieght training. When I got back to using weights, I hadn't lost a thing. You can do some great workouts with bodyweight only routines. You can get a fabulous upper body workout with just pull-ups and dips, by using different angles and grips with each set.

BTW, I got my first speeding ticket ever ( in Hellam on route 30 ) as a 17 year old, driving from Berks county to the YORK barbell factory. I had a chance to talk with Bob Hoffman.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
well i like to "mix up" my workout and from time to time i do a upper body superset.

I lay out dumbells and a curl bar far enuff apart that i wont trip over them.
then i start with 10 dumbell curls, go directly to the curl bar and do ten overhead presses, then go back to the dumbells and do 10 shrugs and then back to the curl bar for 10 bent over rolls. then i do 25 pushups. i try and do this 4x. sometimes i alternate and use the curl bar for reverse grip curls instead of the dumbells.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Gil3 wrote:
You're right about that! I've gone thru brief periods of relying exclusively on bodywieght training. When I got back to using weights, I hadn't lost a thing. You can do some great workouts with bodyweight only routines. You can get a fabulous upper body workout with just pull-ups and dips, by using different angles and grips with each set.

BTW, I got my first speeding ticket ever ( in Hellam on route 30 ) as a 17 year old, driving from Berks county to the YORK barbell factory. I had a chance to talk with Bob Hoffman.
Definitely..I've also been amazed at how hard some bw excercises are. I frankly would rather master my own BW then lift a huge weight.

I went to the York Barbell Museum a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. I'm sure that was also an honor to meet Mr. Hoffman.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:18 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
Can somebody advise on where to do pullups/dips around the house? I live in a VERY SMALL apartment (I broke an overhead light the last time I did military presses with dumbells). I love pullups/chin-ups and dips, but I have no idea where/how to do them without heading to a gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness