Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 09:55 AM

496 posts, read 447,447 times

Advertisements

I've been going to Gold's Gym for a number of years, but the one here is closing soon. It's a shame because they had great facilities and pretty good hours. I'm really surprised about this. But I've been looking for a new place but nothing here really seems as good. The smaller gyms just seem too small and don't have the facilities or equipment that Gold's has.

There aren't any Anytime Fitness locations in my town. I've looked into the Y but their fees seem really high (mostly geared toward families it seems) and their hours aren't great. They close at 5 PM on the weekends, which is too early for me. Supposedly Planet Fitness is planning a location here, but I know they're way different than Gold's. Do they have much in the way of free weights, or is it mostly machines and cardio? They overall seem a bit too reserved for me, but who knows, maybe I'd feel comfortable there. $10 a month doesn't seem that bad. I was paying $35 a month for Gold's, and the Y is $50 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 11:17 AM

10,375 posts, read 10,706,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I've been going to Gold's Gym for a number of years, but the one here is closing soon. It's a shame because they had great facilities and pretty good hours. I'm really surprised about this. But I've been looking for a new place but nothing here really seems as good. The smaller gyms just seem too small and don't have the facilities or equipment that Gold's has.

There aren't any Anytime Fitness locations in my town. I've looked into the Y but their fees seem really high (mostly geared toward families it seems) and their hours aren't great. They close at 5 PM on the weekends, which is too early for me. Supposedly Planet Fitness is planning a location here, but I know they're way different than Gold's. Do they have much in the way of free weights, or is it mostly machines and cardio? They overall seem a bit too reserved for me, but who knows, maybe I'd feel comfortable there. $10 a month doesn't seem that bad. I was paying $35 a month for Gold's, and the Y is $50 a month.
I work out at a Y, but I agree the hours are limited. What really irritates me are the number of days they are closed during the year. They are closed on all the major holidays, and close at noon on Christmas and New Year's Eve. They close for an annual maintenance the week before Labor Day, and were closed this past summer for 10 days. They did very little maintenance over the 10 days.

If I had an LA Fitness close to me, I would look into their memberships.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:12 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,133,064 times
Quote:

If you were at Gold's, I would recommend NYSC or LA Fitness.

All three are in that 'middle' tier of sports clubs, with NYSC I would say at the top of that.

I mostly do cardio at the gym, but my co-worker who lifts has told me Planet Fitness is terrible for free weight availability.

The Y is in that middle tier too. They often have a basketball court or a pool, and that can be a plus.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:28 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,511,433 times
Planet Fitness is the best bang for the buck at $13.25 per month. It's $10 per month plus an annual $39 fee paid in October. No long term contract and they're open 24x7 too if that matters. Not a hardcore gym, but they have ample free weights and plenty of machines/cardio.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:20 PM

22,410 posts, read 29,534,074 times
Do you have a 24hr fitness near you? That's who I use

Old 11-03-2019, 01:47 PM

6,483 posts, read 4,018,472 times
Wouldn't this be a question better asked in a local forum? People who actually live where you do would be of more help about what's available in the area and what it's like, especially since we haven't even a clue where you're from. We have no idea what chains may be available near you, let alone independent gyms.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:22 AM

11,202 posts, read 9,112,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Wouldn't this be a question better asked in a local forum? People who actually live where you do would be of more help about what's available in the area and what it's like, especially since we haven't even a clue where you're from. We have no idea what chains may be available near you, let alone independent gyms.
I agree. You can also use Yelp and do a 1 time visit fee to the gyms that you are interested in and then make a decision.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,711,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I agree. You can also use Yelp and do a 1 time visit fee to the gyms that you are interested in and then make a decision.
Most gyms will give you a visit (3, or even a week) free to see if you would like it. That is really the best way to figure out if a gym is going to work out for you before you commit. It’s best to do it now before all the resolutioners start coming. If you get multiple visits in a week, you can check out different times of day to see if it will be busy and whether the machines/free weights you want to use will be available. For example, my gym is absolutely packed at 10am on a Saturday/Sunday, but if I go before 9 and aim to finish by 10, it still has most of the machines I want to use available. By 9:45, it starts to get difficult.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:08 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,636,627 times
Quote:

We if you are looking for a traditional gym with plenty of free weights then I doubt Planet Fitness will cut it for you. That place is mostly packed with machines and a few Smith Machine style cages but last time I checked they had no Olympic barbells no benches for bench press or squat racks. Deadlifting is certainly out of the question and so is weightlifting. Maybe things have changed there but I doubt it. I suggest you keep looking for a gym or fitness center that has a similar environment to Golds Gym. I have a membership at at regional Fitness center chain that used to be a Golds Gym franchise and later dropped the name but the equipment remained the same. If I left that chain and went to Planet Fitness it would be a major step down for me. I don't know weather that would be the case with you. My advice is look around hard a little longer and hopefully you will find something better equipped than Planet Fitness but if nothing else pops up then you either settle for Planet Fitness or maybe either train at some other facility or maybe train at home.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:23 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,363,871 times
I love my Planet Fitness. However by me, they are not open 24/7; they are open 24/5 and close at 7 p.m. on Saturdays and I believe 5 p.m. on Sundays. They have loads of cardio and machines and a decent amount of free weights, benches, etc. I guess it depends on the location as to what they offer in the way of free weights. I pay $23.49 a month for the upgraded membership which gives me unlimited use of the hydromassage bed (best thing since sliced bread), tanning booths (never use) and discounts on some of their drinks. They have huge ceiling fans and keep the a/c pretty cool. There is no towel service, toiletries or child care services but I don't need any of those things.

When a machine breaks, it's fixed promptly. When I saw the ads on TV for Planet Fitness and the low price (basic membership is around $10 + tax) I expected a low end kind of gym. I was pleasantly surprised.

It's large, kept clean and always quite busy. I expect more so come January with the New Year's resolution folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness