Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 02:27 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
And bare feet as well!
I try to follow his advice in the summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 07:15 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Actually Arnold was a big advocate for bare hand training
...and if you wear gloves you can't look like him? Cuz don't worry, the odds are very long that (general) you will never look like him regardless of what you wear or don't wear.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:04 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...and if you wear gloves you can't look like him? Cuz don't worry, the odds are very long that (general) you will never look like him regardless of what you wear or don't wear.
This is off topic. It has nothing to do with the tread.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:49 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Gloves most certainly do not improve your grip. That's amateur talk. They create separation between your hands and the bar. That is not a good thing. If you want to improve your grip then simply use chalk. I lift heavy all the time using chalk. So what if your bodybuilder ex deadlifts 500 lbs and uses gloves? I do that for 7-8 reps using chalk with no tears. I guess he didn't want any callouses on his dainty little hands. You can also simply use straps since the deadlift is not a grip exercise.
This.

Especially the part about chalk. If you want a better grip, use chalk. If you want even better grip, use chalk and learn the hook grip. If you want an even better grip than that, train your forearms and your grip on top of learning the hook and using chalk.

If you want to avoid callouses and keep your hands all soft and pretty, wear gloves. That's the only thing gloves are useful for.

And on the RA gloves - those are like modified wrist straps, and the glove part is just to hold them in place. They function like normal straps by removing grip and wrist flex from the equation. They are a slimmed down version of the wrist braces gymnasts wear.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:14 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And on the RA gloves - those are like modified wrist straps, and the glove part is just to hold them in place. They function like normal straps by removing grip and wrist flex from the equation. They are a slimmed down version of the wrist braces gymnasts wear.
I don't understand what you are saying.

The gloves are very well padded and prevent the hard bars from hurting my joints, the padding allows me to grip stronger without causing pain.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2019, 07:22 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't understand what you are saying.

The gloves are very well padded and prevent the hard bars from hurting my joints, the padding allows me to grip stronger without causing pain.
You aren't gripping stronger. You are just padding the palm and giving your wrist a slight cushion.

You are not strengthening your grip by wearing gloves unless the gloves are like 3 hole hand grips or something similar, which are modified straps that function like straps, which remove the grip from the equation. Removing the grip from the equation isn't making the grip stronger, just irrelevant.

Gloves do not strengthen grip. Training your grip strengthens the grip.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:44 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
You aren't gripping stronger. You are just padding the palm and giving your wrist a slight cushion.

You are not strengthening your grip by wearing gloves unless the gloves are like 3 hole hand grips or something similar, which are modified straps that function like straps, which remove the grip from the equation. Removing the grip from the equation isn't making the grip stronger, just irrelevant.

Gloves do not strengthen grip. Training your grip strengthens the grip.

I think you are splitting hairs, and I'm not sure why.

My hands can grip better because the gloves minimize the pain.

Sure we can argue that my hand grip strength is the same no matter what, essentially I grip harder because the gloves reduce the pain I would have without them.

My is not to build my hand muscles, but to use my hands to the fullest extent possible.

I'm pretty sure most people here know what I am saying.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2019, 07:47 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Yes, but it's not macho enough to wear gloves because some famous guys don't wear gloves.

Personally, I'd wear gloves to lift weights if it seems to be easier on your hands, and I wouldn't if it didn't. Since I only have two hands and they've got to last the rest of my life, I try to take care of them.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:53 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times
Callouses are a badge of honor, for male and in my opinion also female athletes. I normally wear conservative clothing on the job, but when I turn my hands around, a comment I get from active co workers or customers is "you lift". I like callouses. They are their own statement.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:53 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yes, but it's not macho enough to wear gloves because some famous guys don't wear gloves.

Personally, I'd wear gloves to lift weights if it seems to be easier on your hands, and I wouldn't if it didn't. Since I only have two hands and they've got to last the rest of my life, I try to take care of them.
So you don't lift weights? Got it.

I have lifted weights for going on 25 years now, never once using gloves. Lots and lots of barbells and dumbbells with some tough material to grip (ie: steel). My hands are just fine. I have very small, mostly unnoticeable callouses on each hand, the most prominent are beneath my middle and ring fingers. I can run my hand across silk and you can hardly notice it. So I think a lot of people here is sensationalizing the effects of weights on one's hands. Wearing gloves probably won't make as much of a difference as some of you seem to think it will. Unless you're a hand model, WHO CARES?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness