Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 05:42 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,470,388 times

Advertisements

People get offended over simple statements sometimes. I rather like my callouses but I don't sit and obsess over them. I go to the gym to workout and get it done. Callouses are simply rough spots of skin. I don't have issues with people wearing gloves nor do I think they are girly. How come folks get to like tattoos/piercings? I don't have any and don't desire any, but I don't have an issue with folks liking theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 11:13 AM

8,948 posts, read 11,812,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If you REALLY want to get back to your roots get rid of your shoes too.
I take them off whenever possible. Bacteria thrive in the dark and damp environment between your skin and socks and shoes.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:18 PM

11,126 posts, read 5,609,775 times
I wore padded gloves when working out only for about 6 months, when I had developed some painful thickening of the nerve sheaths in my palms. With the gloves, this condition subsided and has never returned, even though I no longer wear gloves, except on a couple of pull-down exercises that put a lot of pressure on the bases of my little fingers. These heavy gloves have fingers.

I have a hand-cranking machine, with padded roller-grips and friction tape on the outside. If I wet my hands before the exercise, I get a better grip.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:13 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,652,463 times
Of course, if you lift heavy weight you need gloves. First, it's just stupid to subject your hands to callouses and rough skin, it doesn't strike me as "manly," it strikes me as day laborer hands. No thanks. Second, when you're bench pressing heavy weight or doing quite a lot of other things with heavy weight, it's simply uncomfortable not to have extra padding. Even lightly padded gloves don't work well with heavy bench and if you're stopping a set because your hands are hurting, that's a pathetic reason not to push through another rep. I like a LOT of padding on my palms when I'm pushing up a ton of weight, it's necessary for the lift.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:25 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,370,805 times
If all you think you'll ever do with your hands is to hold big barbells when building your giant muscle bound body, then go right on ahead and don't use anything to protect them.

I use my hands constantly for fine detail work as a musician, a craftsman, and as an engineer, plus I actually write things with a pen on paper, and I type a lot. I am not interested in running a risk of damaging my hands just so I can seem more studly at the gym. If being studly at the gym is all you've got, then I guess anything's worth it.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:40 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,588,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Of course, if you lift heavy weight you need gloves. First, it's just stupid to subject your hands to callouses and rough skin, it doesn't strike me as "manly," it strikes me as day laborer hands. No thanks. Second, when you're bench pressing heavy weight or doing quite a lot of other things with heavy weight, it's simply uncomfortable not to have extra padding. Even lightly padded gloves don't work well with heavy bench and if you're stopping a set because your hands are hurting, that's a pathetic reason not to push through another rep. I like a LOT of padding on my palms when I'm pushing up a ton of weight, it's necessary for the lift.
It's not uncomfortable at all for me to bench press without gloves. I do use wrist wraps though. It all depends on the person and your level of training. You aren't going to get callouses and rough hands from benching.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,860,900 times
Quote:
lol

Old 12-09-2019, 01:17 AM

11,126 posts, read 5,609,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Gloves most certainly do not improve your grip. That's amateur talk. They create separation between your hands and the bar. That is not a good thing. If you want to improve your grip then simply use chalk. I lift heavy all the time using chalk. So what if your bodybuilder ex deadlifts 500 lbs and uses gloves? I do that for 7-8 reps using chalk with no tears. I guess he didn't want any callouses on his dainty little hands. You can also simply use straps since the deadlift is not a grip exercise.

What works really well for improving your grip on bars and other equipment and also when handling basketballs and footballs, is the pine pitch that was used before thin gloves were adopted by many football players. It came in large tubes. I used it for handling weights and exercise bars, instead of chalk. Two of the brands were "Suregrip" and Firmgrip", which were a light, golden color, not like the mostly black types of pine tar that are sold today.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 12-09-2019 at 01:31 AM..

Old 12-09-2019, 05:52 AM

9,452 posts, read 8,425,925 times
Quote:
Do you lift heavy? It doesn't sound like it based on your illogical statements here. "You need gloves", lol. I could not disagree more.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:10 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,078,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
. That is not a good thing. If you want to improve your grip then simply use chalk. I lift heavy all the time using chalk. So what if your bodybuilder ex deadlifts 500 lbs and uses gloves? I do that for 7-8 reps using chalk with no tears. I guess he didn't want any callouses on his dainty little hands. You can also simply use straps since the deadlift is not a grip exercise.

Hand size determines grip strength.
I've used gloves and no gloves for months on reverse grip curls; w/o noticing any difference in grip strength/endurance upon performing deadlifts.
My grip always fails before the targeted muscles(shrugs), regardless of training methods.
And the hell w/straps, didn't help; switched to lifting hooks for certain exercises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness