Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 07:04 AM

529 posts, read 508,646 times

Advertisements

I had a week off work. Went to the gym everyday and ate really well. I'm back tonwork now and haven't been to the gym this week.

After work I feel like death and scrap going. I usually try to go before, but if I can't fall asleep by a certain time and or just sleep through my alarm, I miss the opportunity.

Anyone who worked or is working night shift and has got back in shape?

I wish it was possible to just get like 2 or 3 months off unpaid. I feel like a surf indentured to his feudal lord....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 09:59 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/exer...ightshift.html

Old 02-05-2020, 10:23 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Are you packing good meals, or are you eating crap? I hate working mids, and it is easy to get in the habit of eating garbage.

When I worked mids I'd go home and sleep for 3 or 4 hours, then get up for the day, and take a nap before work. Have you tried working out in the early afternoon?

Old 02-06-2020, 03:42 AM

43 posts, read 61,936 times
I've been working nights since January 2006. I will either do a quick 30 minute workout before I go to work or I'll workout right after work. I don't know how many hours a night that you work, but I work 8.5 hours. After work I will either go for a run or workout in a gym. I generally go to bed about four or five hours after the end of my shift, just like I would if I worked days. Make sure your bedroom is DARK. Block the light coming in from the windows and your bedroom or bathroom doors. As someone already mentioned, diet is very important for night shifters. Good luck!

Old 02-13-2020, 03:32 PM

492 posts, read 234,959 times
I did night shift for years. If you can't make it at night before work then an in home fitness program is crucial. Otherwise you will fall apart. Get a concept 2 rower. It uses over 80% of muscle and add in push ups. Due this like 3 times a week or even twice. You could also get a dip/chin set up and do that. If you do not you will fall apart. I did nights for over 8 years. Good luck. You can wake up on nice days pull the rower outside and row in the sun. I do it all the time now.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:22 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,631,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
I had a week off work. Went to the gym everyday and ate really well. I'm back tonwork now and haven't been to the gym this week.

After work I feel like death and scrap going. I usually try to go before, but if I can't fall asleep by a certain time and or just sleep through my alarm, I miss the opportunity.

I wish it was possible to just get like 2 or 3 months off unpaid. I feel like a surf indentured to his feudal lord....
Well the issue a lot of night shift workers have is getting used to sleeping during the day. It happened to me years ago. I wanted to stay up because it was sunny or I wanted to do things. I would say try to go to bed as soon as you get home from work and try to get your sleep out of the way first. Also try not to eat anything too heavy within the last 2 hours of your shift That is what my son did when he worked night shift. He would work from 11PM to 7 AM and he would go home and usually by 8:30 AM or so he would be getting in bed and sleep.until about 3 or 4 and had the res of the afternoon and evening until about 10:15 PM to do whatever he wanted.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:11 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,767 times
Quote:

When I was younger, in my 20s, I used to work the nightshift 12-8am. Can't say I really had a solid routine the entire 2 years. Usually, I'd wake up around 2-4pm, about the time most people are getting out of work, then go workout at my health club or go meetup with my bicycling club. Ride/swim/lift til around 6:30-7pm. Go home, maybe nap or just kick back or chores/whatever. Leave for work around 11pm. It was fun and I avoided the evening rush hour.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
I...

I worked 32 yrs of nights. I was in GREAT shape!!! + I could walk a lot on night shift (except when I was a truckdriver, then I only walked when my truck broke down, but... I unloaded and moved about 40,000# of cargo every shift. (often carried up a hill) )

LOVE, Love, love night shift
  • no day-shift 'crybabies'!!!
  • NO bosses
  • LOTS of variety
  • Lots of responsibility (must make all the decisions rather than ask the boss... (no boss for me!!) big bonus
  • Bonus!!! more pay, less hours (we got paid for lunch break and had an extra hour shorter shift than the 'cry-babies'.
  • More skills learned (must do everything, as there is no one to help / pass off the tough stuff)

every "DAY" is a day off!!!
  • Go to college (Did 5 degrees paid 100% by company)
  • Fish
  • Go on picnics (no crowds, nice weather)
  • Ride bikes (no traffic)
  • Swim. (Empty pools...) I swam 240 laps one day, no one else was there and it was a blizzard outside, but nice in the pool.
  • Get a PT job (I usually had (3)
  • Farm (did that for 20+ yrs)
  • Homeschool your own kids (did that for 10 yrs)
  • Volunteer 30+ yrs
  • COOK... fun! healthy
  • Garden (daylight hours)
  • NEVER watch TV... (I threw mine out in 1968, I was an early teenager, never needed or desired one since, LOTS (more) to do for fun. learning, and recreation!!!)
  • I spent a LOT of time on the racetrack during weekdays (Motocross / TT is good exercise!)

Working Nights is a dream!
Sleeping is optional. (seldom bothered wasting the time) 'Cat naps' kept me alert.
Very effective statesmen, great inventors, scientists, financial geniuses slept very little.

I hear every hour of sleep you lose comes off the TAIL end of your life (payback)...
Perfect... don't sleep while young and have a GREAT time... when older... less time spent in a nursing home (Win:Win)

Exercise whenever you can!
Can't sleep, I always find it nice to do some exhaustive exercise... Body gets tired and mind (body) says SLEEP, not Think about why you CAN'T sleep.

Gotta get some exercise (it's 2 AM) Been retired (no schedule) for over 15 yrs. Not age 65 yet.

Night shift wages brought 10 yrs earlier retirement. + if I would have had a direct BOSS I would have been fired 35 yrs early!

Old 02-16-2020, 12:51 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
I work night shift now. Due to my work routine (3 nights on, 3 nights off), I could easily skip working out for the nights that I work and just go hard on the nights that I'm off. But I still manage to work out when I am on shift. I brought a 30 pound dumbbell to my work station and use that frequently while at work. I also try to go to the gym before work or after work. The only thing that stops me from going to the gym before work is if I don't get enough sleep during the day, which does happen sometimes (I blame the cat jumping all over the place and the general difficulties one can face trying to sleep during the day ).

Old 02-16-2020, 12:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
I use to pull 14 hour shifts at night, hit the gym right after work, best way to ensure it gets done. It becomes habit after a short while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness