Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 01:32 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,573,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Gyms at work and by my house are closed. I haven't worked out in two weeks. I feel like a blob. Anybody else experiencing this?

--

I am the opposite.............I'm doing more working out than I did before the pandemic.....because it is my "zen".....it gets my mind off of the news & tones my muscles...like my heart & lungs... too. I'm staying in my fiance's home outside of the major city we live so it's super easy access with a home gym....so I have no excuses.

IMO....lots more are walking & running too......just out of boredom & to destress. It works wonders.........& helps you maintain your best health.....your lungs & heart....if you do get the virus.

You'll feel better too....because we already have stuff to feel bad about right now........'

edit: so keep up with any exercise program at home that you can.....that works for you.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 01:36 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,693 times
missing the bike a lot. So I am doing more lunges & plyometrics.
I always do home workouts anyway with free weights and body weight.

I memorized the routines from the various P90x. Yep they're 10-15 yrs old but still effective.

I heard some good advice from a guest on a Joe Rogan Podcast - How to Workout Smarter on YouTube.
never go intense on workouts, just do 7 on a scale of 10 but everyday or for 5x a week. I never did 10 intensity until Saturdays which is game / match day.

I'll be doing more sets of planks at 1 minute intervals vs. 2 minutes I was doing 2x a week.
I'll start counting calories more. Hope to get to less than 2200/day; 6ft. 2; 205

Doing exercises more days per week means your metabolism will be burning more fat when at rest. Add in better nutrition (home cooking) and not so large servings this is great.

This whole Covid19 stay-in-home will make many of us all better at self-control.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:43 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
I've worked out ONCE in 3 weeks and am now feeling it both physically and mentally. I still go on daily walks (2 to 3 a day) but no lifting and early a.m.'s are a real struggle for me now, as are the afternoons, I seem to be in a perpetual haze now.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
No problem at all... the things I do now are just different.
I've found that a few areas weren't being worked in my classes. Not so now.

So I'm going to continue to walk the hills on Wednesdays (weather permitting) even after the Y reopens.
I'll also get a tan out of the deal.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:36 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
I think it's affected many of us since we have become a nation of gym rats for the most part.

As seen in several "home workout" threads on this website, I used to be one of those who mocked people who purchased home gym equipment (In one post I mentioned that a cardio machine would be an amazing clothes hanger).

The joke has been on me. Of course all gyms near me and throughout the country are closed, all the major gym chains and even the smaller independent ones. Even the one at my work is closed off.

In order to stay inside I purchased a cheap cardio machine which works well enough. Been doing bodyweight exercises but cannot find any free weights for what I am looking for. Total price gouging everywhere, unreal how many things are sold out at Target, Walmart, so on.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:38 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,573,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post

So I'm going to continue to walk the hills on Wednesdays (weather permitting) even after the Y reopens.
I'll also get a tan out of the deal.

Walking & exercise is wonderful to survive these times IMO.......BUT don't risk melanoma. Use a sport sunscreen & save the health of your skin. People with any type of cancer have lowered immunity & higher risk for complications with the virus.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:39 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,761 times
Dusted off the old dumbbells in the house just this week. Not the same as going to the gym, but this may be the future. Who knows if these gyms will survive the financial loss.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:51 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Walking & exercise is wonderful to survive these times IMO.......BUT don't risk melanoma. Use a sport sunscreen & save the health of your skin. People with any type of cancer have lowered immunity & higher risk for complications with the virus.
I'm half Italian... not fair skinned and I don't burn easily.
Since I'm only out there about an hour at a time, it'll be very gradual.
I usually get very tan (but it's a farmer tan) by going to car shows, but that's not happening for awhile.

When it gets hot, I'll do my thing shirtless. I don't do that at car shows.
I'm in good enough shape now that I'm not at all embarrassed to do it.

It got warm enough today to wear my 20+ year old tank tops. That's how long it's been since they fit me.
I tried on one from the 80's but it was a little tight. But the '92 Stockton to Malone Dream Team jerseys fit great!

Old 04-02-2020, 06:04 PM

610 posts, read 263,961 times
I am on the struggle bus as well. I started doing CrossFit back in October and definitely miss it! Now that the weather is finally getting a little nicer I have been running and doing a few small routines but, like another poster said, my heart just isn't in it the way it was at the CrossFit box. Unfortunately, I think that gyms will be one of the last types of businesses allowed to reopen.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:52 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Gyms at work and by my house are closed. I haven't worked out in two weeks. I feel like a blob. Anybody else experiencing this?

--
There are a lot of workout videos on YouTube that require little no equipment. A FB friend is posting him doing a little of new one daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness