Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 12:22 PM

325 posts, read 209,043 times

Advertisements

No impact on us as we have a full gym in our basement.

Over the past 30+ years we've purchased high quality used equipment and have our bases covered. Did buy our True treadmill new about 17 years ago while they were still offering LIFETIME warranty. Never any issues with it and still working like the day we bought it. Same with out Concept brand rowing machine....no issues and purchased used. FIL was a welder and created an extensive free weight system for spouse during the high school and college years. Since then we've added odds and ends. It's amazing how many good buys on used equipment you can find out there. It is a bit of a pain to move it all when relocating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 12:38 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,244,974 times
Nope, none here, outside of missing going to the gym, as I love my gym.

However, we have barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, resistance bands, and pull up bars--things I've collected over the years. We run outside, no matter the weather--grew up running in all seasons in the Northeast. Walks are great, too. I will need to buy a few heavier dumbbells soon (my barbells go up to 75 on each side, for my husband, I'm only at 25-35 on each side, thankfully) as we only have up to 15 for some reason, on those. Local stores have 20s and up, though, so no issue there. Recommend checking those out for curbside pickup, vs the big box stores.

Sorry some of you are feeling this way....it's definitely a strange world we live in, right now.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:56 PM

29,533 posts, read 22,797,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Same but honestly when this is all done and the gyms re-open, those folks are going to be stuck with that equipment or have to offload it for pennies on the dollar.
That's what I've been reading and have to agree. Once this thing has settled down definitely going to be a lot of good equipment for sale. Great opportunity to learn from this and be prepared.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:00 PM

492 posts, read 236,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That's what I've been reading and have to agree. Once this thing has settled down definitely going to be a lot of good equipment for sale. Great opportunity to learn from this and be prepared.
I don't think so, the age of the gym is gone. More strains will emerge of various diseases. This is only the very beginning. Things will never be the same again.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:00 PM

8,136 posts, read 7,521,586 times
I've been working at home for two weeks and I'm surprised at how few steps I've been getting in. My house is much smaller than my office building! No more strolls down the hall to see what's up, to the men's room, or to get a cup of coffee. Kinda just plopped here in my home office all day. I do not like it one bit.

Of course I do go out for walks with my wife sometimes but she's also working from home and our breaks don't always coincide. Oh well, it's not forever, right? Right...?

Old 04-03-2020, 03:09 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,483,067 times
I would say that my exercise routine has changed. Over the years, my primary activities have been weight lifting and tennis. My gym closed 3 weeks ago, and I last lifted weights on March 11. I am a renter of a one bedroom apartment, so I do not have home gym equipment. I have been doing various home workouts on YouTube.

I have not played tennis since mid-February. I live in a Southern U.S. state where year round tennis is possible. I have played both indoors and outdoors in the 8.5 years that I have lived here. I don't foresee myself playing tennis until September at this point.

I have tried to ride my bike but the crowds on popular paths in my city do not enable proper social distancing, so I have shelved cycling for a while.

In most years, I tend to scale back tennis a bit in the summer in favor of swimming. Lap swimming season is typically May-September for me. I think Coronavirus will not be resolved fast enough for me to get a full lap swimming season in 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think it's affected many of us since we have become a nation of gym rats for the most part.
I do not think we are a nation of gym rats. If we were a nation of gym rats, our obesity rates would be lower. However, among those who actually exercise regularly, there is a strong link with gym use.

The major gym chains factor people with memberships not showing up into their sales planning. I have made proper use of my gym membership most months.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:50 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,638,778 times
I hope to get back in the gym but I know that eventually I will walk away for good. I use my home gym as a supplement to my gym membership. Honestly I have spent that 2 weeks working in my garage but I haven't exercised. I have been cleaning and making changes to .make ot bette. Painting my equipment and moving some things around

Old 04-03-2020, 07:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,290,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
I don't think so, the age of the gym is gone.
I cannot duplicate what I get at the Y at home,
I do the best I can, but at the classes at the Y are basically cheap personal training.
I'm not rich enough to afford to have personal trainers come to my home.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:35 PM

973 posts, read 546,457 times
I've been doing bodyweight workouts with the aid of a pull-up bar and a medicine ball, and I go running for cardio. After years of gym workouts, it's a nice change of pace.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:07 AM

24,147 posts, read 32,621,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Gyms at work and by my house are closed. I haven't worked out in two weeks. I feel like a blob. Anybody else experiencing this?

--
Yes. Our gym is within walking distance of our home and is part of our country club. The restaurant and Salon are closed as it the spa.

I don't have home equipment. In normal times, I can walk to the gym, which we do in warmer months.

We walk, when weather cooperates, I do free weight lifting. Yoga, and a routine that I made up for myself.

We are looking for a SMALL piece of exercise equipment that we can use at home - any recommendations?
It can't be large or too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness