Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 05:01 PM

13,662 posts, read 9,727,106 times

Advertisements

Following a posting in this very thread, I've been following the "prisoner workout". With a plywood floor and no bars, the chin-up and the jumping-exercises are impractical, the former because there is no overhead implement, and the latter because the floor is insufficiently sturdy to withstand leaps. So instead I've been doing push-ups. Goal is 7 sets/day, of 72 each. At my age, lengthy rest-periods are required between sets... on the order of 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 06:17 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,057,613 times
thankfully the weather has been okay in the plains/midwest since the shut down - I been jogging outside with no restrictions 5 days a week. Got a weight bench in the basement. Miss the gym, but its all good. Something about the threat of deadly virus motivates me to workout more, eat healthier, etc.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:35 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,243 times
I have a good treadmill downstairs but I hate running. Instead I put it on a steep incline and set it at a brisk walk. I also got my barely-used TRX out of the closet and it's a great upper-body workout; I may skip the upper-body machines at the gym from now on. I'm maintaining my weight, which is a relief. Yard work helps, too! My main worry is that my knees feel a little creaky- I'm 67 and am a bit concerned that the same unvarying routine might be too much.

One thing I'll change when I go back: I'd given up on listening to music or podcasts during my workout because Planet Fitness blasts its own music in the gym, complete with VERY repetitive commercials. I love PF because the price is right, the people are nice and there's plenty of equipment and it's clean- but the music is an irritant. I'm sure there's a revenue stream in there somewhere. I plan to get myself a good set of noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds- I've been able to enjoy podcasts during my workout again and want to continue that.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:42 PM

9,410 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I have a good treadmill downstairs but I hate running. Instead I put it on a steep incline and set it at a brisk walk. I also got my barely-used TRX out of the closet and it's a great upper-body workout; I may skip the upper-body machines at the gym from now on. I'm maintaining my weight, which is a relief. Yard work helps, too! My main worry is that my knees feel a little creaky- I'm 67 and am a bit concerned that the same unvarying routine might be too much.

One thing I'll change when I go back: I'd given up on listening to music or podcasts during my workout because Planet Fitness blasts its own music in the gym, complete with VERY repetitive commercials. I love PF because the price is right, the people are nice and there's plenty of equipment and it's clean- but the music is an irritant. I'm sure there's a revenue stream in there somewhere. I plan to get myself a good set of noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds- I've been able to enjoy podcasts during my workout again and want to continue that.
I recommend Beats!

Old 04-15-2020, 12:43 PM

9,410 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyshow View Post
this post makes a hot florida garage set up seem like a breezy retreat compared to a thinker like this cruising the floors. This would be comparable to a horsefly circling your space at a grill out.
lol!!!

Old 04-16-2020, 07:41 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,063,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
working out alone in a small room is still very depressing. I don't know how people can do it long-term.

When you have no choice, you do it; as fitness centers will not be opening back up anytime soon.
They are akin to schools, impossible to practice social distancing.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:16 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,976 times
No.

It's improved.

Have plenty of time now.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:33 PM

2,235 posts, read 2,407,740 times
It looks like gyms will be one of the first places allowed to reopen.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...demic-n1185666

Hopefully, they'll open up in a couple weeks... I'm excited to get back.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:27 PM

560 posts, read 581,895 times
I have a membership at a local gym that I went to on a regular basis but its now closed. So now I mostly do power walks around the neighborhood and have some weights at home. I'm thinking about buying a bike also. Since I'm in my late fifties I will be in no rush to get back into a gym once they get the green light. I want to see a quantum leap in containment with coronavirus first. Since I'm retired I have the time to seek other options.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:07 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I'm the same. Got rid of all my home gym equipment because I would just go in spurts and it it wasn't effective. I resisted joining the gym but several other ladies I'm friends with joined at the same time so not only was there camaraderie, we kept each other motivated. Our Silver Sneakers trainer is really awesome too. I hope we don't lose her over this. I've tried to work out at home - I have all the same equipment we use in Silver Sneakers, but without the group setting, the trainer and my friends, I just don't feel motivated at all. The whole crushing weight of the pandemic doesn't help, although I know exercising improves my outlook. My only saving grace is that my husband and I go walking every day the weather permits and I've started riding a bike again - getting my old arthritic knees accustomed to it!
What if your women's group worked out at home, then had a group FaceTime session afterwards, like a tea time afterwards? You could compare your workouts, talk about whether you like it better at home or at the gym, talk about the shelter-at-home thing, etc. It might provide a good pick-me-up to re-establish your social group via internet. IDK how many of you there are, but you could also take walks together, but apart. Maybe you could find a bike path in a park that would allow you to walk 6' apart, two ahead, two six feet behind, something like that. Maybe just once/week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness