Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 07:35 PM

1,198 posts, read 666,840 times

Advertisements

Still working out daily though closer to an hour than 1.5 hours. I have a home gym set up in basement with barbell and plates, dumbbells, exercise ball, mat, bench, therabands etc. I do Pilates, lift weights, calisthenics, and in my dining room do ballet barre and New York City Ballet workout videos. I also have a stationary bike I ride daily. When it gets warmer I will get back on my mountain bike and ride outside. I walk outside around the neighborhood some days. I do miss swimming, dancing in the large open studio at the YMCA, ballet classes, the rowing machine at the gym. I've been recovering from an injury that happened three months ago so I had already slowed down somewhat before being confined to working from home and no gym. Focusing more on calisthenics and weights and Pilates at home has actually worked my muscles a good bit more in ways I needed while recovering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 07:44 PM

7,084 posts, read 9,598,359 times
I feel like a slob. Had pnuemonia in Janyuary. Took all of February to recover. Slowly ramped up walking in March. Ran for the first time today outside.

What I lost during my recovery, I gained back when the gyms closed. Now all I have is walking and running. I'll try to start adding upper body and core strengthening next week.

I also wonder how gyms will recover. If people find free ways to get exercise, gyms may find a lot of cancellations. Especially if people don't have income to keep up the monthly dues.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:50 AM

1,198 posts, read 666,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I feel like a slob. Had pnuemonia in Janyuary. Took all of February to recover. Slowly ramped up walking in March. Ran for the first time today outside.

What I lost during my recovery, I gained back when the gyms closed. Now all I have is walking and running. I'll try to start adding upper body and core strengthening next week.

I also wonder how gyms will recover. If people find free ways to get exercise, gyms may find a lot of cancellations. Especially if people don't have income to keep up the monthly dues.
I think gyms that offer specialized equipment and facilities like swimming pools, racquetball courts, climbing walls, etc will fair better than those that offer only basic weight machines, weight lifting equipment, and cardio machines. That's just my theory anyway!

Old 04-03-2020, 05:44 AM

49 posts, read 35,585 times
Yes, I was also going to the gym daily but now all gyms are closed & I don't have equipment's at home. Now I have started doing some exercise at home to keep myself fit.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:07 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,574,676 times
A little, at least from a lifting aspect. I still work out by kickboxing and boxing drills on my punching bag at home. At some point, I'll invest in an industrial-strength Smith machine so I can squat at home. Gotta keep my lifting stats high so when I return to the gym, I won't have to work as hard to get my lifts back to where they were before.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:12 AM

9,458 posts, read 8,441,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think it's affected many of us since we have become a nation of gym rats for the most part.

As seen in several "home workout" threads on this website, I used to be one of those who mocked people who purchased home gym equipment (In one post I mentioned that a cardio machine would be an amazing clothes hanger).

The joke has been on me. Of course all gyms near me and throughout the country are closed, all the major gym chains and even the smaller independent ones. Even the one at my work is closed off.

In order to stay inside I purchased a cheap cardio machine which works well enough. Been doing bodyweight exercises but cannot find any free weights for what I am looking for. Total price gouging everywhere, unreal how many things are sold out at Target, Walmart, so on.
Same but honestly when this is all done and the gyms re-open, those folks are going to be stuck with that equipment or have to offload it for pennies on the dollar.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:24 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,005,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
There are a lot of workout videos on YouTube that require little no equipment. A FB friend is posting him doing a little of new one daily.
It's not just about equipment. It's that my routine has been compromised. I'm lucky enough to have a gym at work and that's where I did most of my workouts. That's what I'm used to. The routine was what kept me going to the gym. Now that's obliterated. Now I have to come up with a new routine that isn't weightlifting-centric.

And I do have stuff at home. I have an old treadmill that I haven't used in forever because it's not the best. And it's got boxes on it. I also have adjustable dumbbells (PowerBlock) and a couple of kettlebelles. I can use this stuff but I have to get into that routine.

And this is kind of a miserable time, right? I just sort of feel this--malaise. The thought of going downstairs and doing kettlebelle swings seems--exhausting.

I know it would make me feel better. But--ugh. I think I might be depressed. But, that's a different thread.

--

Old 04-03-2020, 08:03 AM

468 posts, read 617,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
but I am just upset and down because I am not able to work because of a state mandate to close my business and have no income.
It is the same here in Austalia. We have a lot of people (who've been laid off) waiting for welfare approvals and stimulus packages from the government. In fact I think most places are experiencing this now. The economic damage will be felt for years afterwards.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:54 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,637,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
It is the same here in Austalia. We have a lot of people (who've been laid off) waiting for welfare approvals and stimulus packages from the government. In fact I think most places are experiencing this now. The economic damage will be felt for years afterwards.
I agree. I wonder if my business will survive this. Like I said I have all the equipment I need to keep working out but my mood is just not there. I will try to bounce back.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:58 AM

1,981 posts, read 6,887,347 times
I started to go to the gym pretty much daily in 2012. I am 52 now. had gotten some results. deadlifting 285 lbs, squat 185 lbs (I am 155 lbs myself). Made a lot of friends too, so would spend 1.5 to 2 hours there. Now with the gym being closed, I try to do some home workouts. Go for a jog-spin class is out. I do have dumbbells that go up to 40 lbs but screwing the weights on and off is a pain. I am also one of the people on the forefront of the epidemic. Seeing patients in the ICU, planning/etc. So it is going to take its toll, both mentally and physically. I just want to survive this but don't think will ever go back to the same level of fitness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness