Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 07:11 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times

Advertisements

I'm a woman, healthy, mid 40s. I walk my dogs every day, 1.5-2 miles, and get my high intensity exercise in other ways. I consider it a part of my routine unless my dogs are being particularly leisurely. I loathe running. Tried to get into it several times, but I loathe it. Loathe it. It's the worst. I'd rather do an intense HIIT session any day.

A better question is why do some people feel the need to judge anyone who is out getting any sort of exercise? People tend to do what they enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 04:44 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
I run for an hour a day- 9 miles.

You?
You are an amazing runner. Just caught this. That would put you at a half marathon at about 1.20 some odd minutes. I only wish I could run that well. And every day without fatigue or decrease in speed. No wonder you can't relate to the average Joe (or Jane).

Old 04-19-2020, 11:54 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'm not prescribing exercise to anyone or telling them what to wear, nor do I need advice either, I'm just answering the OP on why someone might walk for exercise vs running or cycling and the benefits and availability of walking.

If they're posting or reading the exercise-fitness subforum and they don't understand those simple things, they're really in a world of hurt.

I was ita with most of your post tho......but for the part about no special shoes or equipment needed. You would be super surprised to know how many people out there don't think about their shoes or support when they walk.......because they don't think of walking as exercise like some of the posts say. It's super important......& I was adding it in so that people who want to walk instead of run don't have problems with their feet or heel pain.

There are people that may not have exercised in years that read the thread & decide to take up walking tomorrow....so it's not so obvious IMO for everybody or there wouldn't be all kinds of injuries & foot pain related to bad shoe support in walking AND running.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:09 AM

368 posts, read 366,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
I am a (almost) daily runner, but my doctor told me several years ago to quit running, before I have knee , hip or feet issues. I told him then and every subsequent visit since, “I can’t quit, until it hurts to run.”

(Doctor, being pcp)
My view, you can replace a knee. A heart? Not so easy. I keep running.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
My view, you can replace a knee. A heart? Not so easy. I keep running.

You can replace a knee....but IMO you are lots better off if you don't have to. Complications can happen with any surgery. My fiance likes to run......& he keeps running too.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:18 AM

164 posts, read 127,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Depends of your age and physical conditions. Running is good when your body is up to the task. If not, running does more harm than good.
Hi,
I totally agree with your point that it depends on the age and physical conditions. I am 30 years old. Sometimes, I love running and sometimes walking. It depends on my mood and physical condition.
Thanks.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Depends of your age and physical conditions. Running is good when your body is up to the task. If not, running does more harm than good.

Even if you start out with healthy knees........there is a lot of extra wear & tear with runners coupled with the normal aging degeneration. It's super common for runners to have knee replacements....BUT my fiance in his 40s & he doesn't listen to me either. It's better than being overweight or no aerobic exercise tho.......pacing yourself & supportive running shoes helps.......

Old 05-10-2020, 08:18 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
I run for an hour a day- 9 miles.

You?
I'm not a judgemental jerk like you.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:02 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Walking is relaxing. You can enjoy your surroundings as you walk. It's much easier on the knees and it's great exercise for the heart. Don't believe anyone who says it isn't.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:34 AM

22 posts, read 31,011 times
I run because I'm lazy. Walking takes too much time. I can burn off the same calories a lot faster if I run. And by run I mean dog trot.

BUT don't dis walking until you try to keep up with some genuine power walkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness