Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 12:25 PM

9,404 posts, read 8,369,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Dang, I thought you were going to say you like to work out in the nude and sing show tunes as loud as you can during your sets.
I think there are tons of bros who'd probably do this if they could get away with it at the gyms. Not nude but wearing their Speedos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 12:25 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Dang, I thought you were going to say you like to work out in the nude and sing show tunes as loud as you can during your sets.
Good idea

Old 04-28-2020, 02:08 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
One thing this has taught me is that I absolutely LOATHE working out at home alone. I'm not Mr. Chit Chat at the gym by any stretch, most days I have my head down and work out. But to be in a tiny room at home with limited equipment staring at walls is downright depressing. I don't have nearly the equipment I need to adequately stay in shape, nor the weights (my dumbbells max at around 50lbs each). I realize to each their own and I get why some people might not enjoy going to a gym, but for me.....I'll be back the day they re-open.
That's what makes us different and unique and why we take different modes of transportation and routes to our destinations. Personally I enjoy solitary fitness as I can focus, meditate and clear my head after a long day or prepare for the next. I'm all for doing whatever works for sure.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:19 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
One thing this has taught me is that I absolutely LOATHE working out at home alone. I'm not Mr. Chit Chat at the gym by any stretch, most days I have my head down and work out. But to be in a tiny room at home with limited equipment staring at walls is downright depressing. I don't have nearly the equipment I need to adequately stay in shape, nor the weights (my dumbbells max at around 50lbs each). I realize to each their own and I get why some people might not enjoy going to a gym, but for me.....I'll be back the day they re-open.
Yup, I’ll be back in the gym with my mask and hand sanitizer on day one.

This made me realize just how important the gym is. Only someone rich like Dwayne Johnson can finance and build their own personal gym. (He actually has a mobile gym)

My pull-up bar, perfect push-up equipment, and ab roller can’t do in 1 week what I can accomplish in 30 minutes at a gym. I don’t care if no one goes to the gym or everyone goes, I will absolutely get my muscular physique back when the gym is open. To build muscle you need heavy equipment and weight, both of which are expensive to buy, transport, and need a lot space to store.

Now if I just needed a treadmill that would be different.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:23 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yup, I’ll be back in the gym with my mask and hand sanitizer on day one.

This made me realize just how important the gym is. Only someone rich like Dwayne Johnson can finance and build their own personal gym. (He actually has a mobile gym)

My pull-up bar, perfect push-up equipment, and ab roller can’t do in 1 week what I can accomplish in 30 minutes at a gym. I don’t care if no one goes to the gym or everyone goes, I will absolutely get my muscular physique back when the gym is open. To build muscle you need heavy equipment and weight, both of which are expensive to buy, transport, and need a lot space to store.

Now if I just needed a treadmill that would be different.
You don't have to be rich to have a good home gym plenty of people have very good home games and they're not rich

Old 04-28-2020, 06:09 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I can do all the basics in my 2 bedroom apartment. Trap bar deadlifts (though I can't let the bar drop to the ground from 4 inches in the air so I don't pile on the weight) dumbbell bench presses, dumbbell rows, dumbbell shoulder presses, and pull ups (including neutral grip and weighted) .. I'm not shooting for glory, I just don't want to be weak. It's also my meditation room.

I also ride road bike 20-30 mile rides 1-2 times a week and jog 3 miles 1-2 times a week. A lot of people overdo working out and their body falls apart as they get older. I found a level that works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Who has learned to love exercising without a gym and won’t go back?-20200427_094726_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by sholomar; 04-28-2020 at 06:18 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 07:30 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Most gym memberships don't care how often you go.........it's a monthly charge. That's what they are hoping.......that you will pay the fee & not go much AND they lock you in. You pay the same price if you go 7 times or once a week. IMO it's the most expensive to use a gym part time & work out at home too because you paid for both....pick one.....unless you live in a building that has access to a private gym for being a resident at no charge.
It is no difference in cost. I paid for various equipment over the years, but I do a short 15-25 minute workout during lunch at home on YouTube that is free. I don’t have time to go to a gym for lunch because it takes me about 30 minutes each way with traffic, parking, changing, etc. I go to the gym about 3-4 times a week in winter, slightly less in summer. The activities I do otherwise are free- hiking meetups or working out at home when the weather is awful.

I get different experiences out of home and the gym. I can’t really do great cardio work in the winter since it is cold here, so the gym allows me to use the machines and obviously, I don’t have the same type of weights at home.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:33 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
I will go back. While I have learned to do without, nothing compares to having access to over $1 million worth of exercise equipment. Besides, my house is not that big to do half the stuff I can do at the gym. Also, I don't have a garage to store any of the equipment if I did buy any. Therefore, a gym would still be my best bet.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:13 PM

84 posts, read 58,666 times
I've had to learn how to use resistance bands and makeshift weights over the past several weeks, but if anything, it's taught me that resistance bands alone or weights alone are incomplete.

I'll be returning to a gym when they open and incorporating more resistance bands into my workouts actually lol

The experience has changed my understanding of what is the optimal method of applying tension to one's muscles...for example, when you are doing a bench press, you're at your weakest (with the most tension on your chest) when the bar is down on your chest. With resistance bands, it's the opposite --> they go slack at the bottom and increase in resistance and tension on your muscles the further up you push. In effect, when one goes up, the other goes down. So by incorporating resistance bands into my barbell bench, I can get constant distributed tension at every increment throughout the full range of motion.

That's the theory. I'd now love to actually test it out. I think it will finally help me break through some plateaus and shatter some goals!

Old 04-29-2020, 05:31 AM

9,404 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
You don't have to be rich to have a good home gym plenty of people have very good home games and they're not rich
Completely disagree and this pandemic has really illustrated how incredibly expensive good gym equipment is. Most places are now charging $2/lb for weights. So a simple pair of 50lb dumbbells is $200....that's for ONE set of dumbbells. I use dumbbells from 10lbs all the way up to 110lbs for various exercises. That's just dumbbells too! I need a bench, leg press, squat rack, curl bars, weight plates (still at $2/lb)....and probably a half dozen other machines that I regularly use. Even if I were to try and do a semi-decent home gym on a budget I'm guessing I'd need to put in a minimum of $1,500 to $2,000 just for the basics. And that's assuming I have the space for a gym at home, which I (and many Floridians without basements) do not.

Nope, this guy will be headed back to the gym, sanitizer in hand, the day they re-open. Simply cannot replace the quality and quantity of equipment at a large, corporate gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness