Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 07:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Not the ones who do standard pushups everyday. Maybe the ones who mix up the styles and add bench presses. You're not building up your chest much by doing standard pushups alone everyday. Again doing same muscles everyday is regressive.
I agree with you. The are two major principles of building strength that timeZoned is missing.

1. To build strength and muscle, you need to follow the concept of progressive resistance. The trouble with pushups, is unless your goal is to win a pushup contest, it is difficult to increase the resistance. You can elevate your feet. You can do pushups upside down, or have someone put a weight plate on your back. When I was a teenager, I would have my little brother lie on my back when I did pushups. The advantage of weights or weight machines is you add small amounts of additional resistance, as opposed to doing additional reps.

2. Your muscles don't grow or get stronger while you are exercising them. Your muscles need time to recover and grow. They grow during rest days or when those particular muscles are not being exercised.

BTW, don't most people in prison get at least an hour of exercise a day, even those on death row? And I always see pictures of men in prison lifting weights. Like these: https://www.google.com/search?q=lift...86bSfFRbuq_OLM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 06:32 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree with you. The are two major principles of building strength that timeZoned is missing.

1. To build strength and muscle, you need to follow the concept of progressive resistance. The trouble with pushups, is unless your goal is to win a pushup contest, it is difficult to increase the resistance. You can elevate your feet. You can do pushups upside down, or have someone put a weight plate on your back. When I was a teenager, I would have my little brother lie on my back when I did pushups. The advantage of weights or weight machines is you add small amounts of additional resistance, as opposed to doing additional reps.

2. Your muscles don't grow or get stronger while you are exercising them. Your muscles need time to recover and grow. They grow during rest days or when those particular muscles are not being exercised.

BTW, don't most people in prison get at least an hour of exercise a day, even those on death row? And I always see pictures of men in prison lifting weights. Like these: https://www.google.com/search?q=lift...86bSfFRbuq_OLM

Yes they do, unless they are in some kind of disciplinary status and even then most get recreation.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:15 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,219,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I do not know why this happens.
Because when you lift weights you are putting on muscle mass.
Quote:
When I do my 50 min cardio 4x a week and eat my usual 1200 cal diet daily,I lose 2 pounds a week easily.

When I added weights to my regimen(lifting 3x a week) plus the 50 min cardio 4x a week and 1200 cal diet daily,my weight loss stalled.

Is this normal?
You probably should increase your calorie intake. When you do more and put your body into starvation mode you don't lose weight.

Old 05-16-2022, 05:28 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Because when you lift weights you are putting on muscle mass.
You probably should increase your calorie intake. When you do more and put your body into starvation mode you don't lose weight.
I have such a difficult time with this. Years ago when my wife was doing weight watchers I decided to try it as well. She kept telling me that I needed to eat more for the daily calorie intake, but the problem was, I didnt want more. Even now, my "diet" that has worked for years suddenly isnt anymore and I am being told its because my calorie intake is too low. I cant wrap my mind around eating more in order to lose weight. Instead of sticking with my diet all day, I now eat a regular dinner and snack on a little trail mix throughout the day and it kills me to do so. I still struggling to lose weight and feel that maybe I should focus less on weights and more on cardio? Not really sure. When I get motivated to get back in shape, I am very dedicated...i feel that age 45 may have something to do with this as well.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:27 PM

1,651 posts, read 864,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I have such a difficult time with this. Years ago when my wife was doing weight watchers I decided to try it as well. She kept telling me that I needed to eat more for the daily calorie intake, but the problem was, I didnt want more. Even now, my "diet" that has worked for years suddenly isnt anymore and I am being told its because my calorie intake is too low. I cant wrap my mind around eating more in order to lose weight. Instead of sticking with my diet all day, I now eat a regular dinner and snack on a little trail mix throughout the day and it kills me to do so. I still struggling to lose weight and feel that maybe I should focus less on weights and more on cardio? Not really sure. When I get motivated to get back in shape, I am very dedicated...i feel that age 45 may have something to do with this as well.
It sounds counterintuitive right. The human body is adaptable and is always in survival mode. If your calorie intake is too low for too long a period, the body will make the necessary adaptations. The same with any exercise. Eventually your body figures it out, makes the necessary metabolic adjustments and you no longer experience the same gains. Therefore, it's important to switch things up. It’s not a matter of simply eating more. It’s eating more of the right types of foods.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:50 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
It sounds counterintuitive right. The human body is adaptable and is always in survival mode. If your calorie intake is too low for too long a period, the body will make the necessary adaptations. The same with any exercise. Eventually your body figures it out, makes the necessary metabolic adjustments and you no longer experience the same gains. Therefore, it's important to switch things up. It’s not a matter of simply eating more. It’s eating more of the right types of foods.
My fool proof diet for years was 2 eggs for breakfast, apple for a snack, plain chicken breast with some sort of green for lunch, protein shake for snack and plain chicken breast with some sort of green for dinner and maybe a handful of trail mix later in the evening. I would also save one day a week to eat whatever I wanted as I thought this would switch things up enough for my metabolism to not plateau by eating the same thing day in and day out. This was my diet along with 5 days of exercise (mix of cardio and weights) and the weight would just drop off. I could achieve my goal in 2-3 months time. 200 is the weight that will drive me back to dieting and the gym and my ideal weight is 170. I recently started the diet again and realized its less than 1000 calories a day, yet I am more than satisfied. It kills me to add more food to the diet but I know bodies change and I guess I will have to adjust as necessary; I do notice that my muscles are getting bigger, but the pounds arent falling off like they used to.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:18 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
.. The trouble with pushups, is unless your goal is to win a pushup contest, it is difficult to increase the resistance.
Elastic band.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a...s-bench-press/

OP, interesting story. Perhaps skip the weights until your weight gets down to where you want it, then pick it up again and see what happens.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Elastic band.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a...s-bench-press/

OP, interesting story. Perhaps skip the weights until your weight gets down to where you want it, then pick it up again and see what happens.
My gym has a lot of elastic bands so I will give this a shot. I usually only do pushups when I don't have access to weights, so this looks like it would make pushups more effective. The elastic band would be easy to pack for someone who is traveling. I have found very few hotel gyms to be worth using.

I wasn't the OP asking about weight loss slowing down when lifting weights. I don't have a problem losing weight when I can control my diet. I had gained some weight but but was able to drop around 10 lbs. with some minor diet modifications like eating one slice of pizza instead of two or three.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:45 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
My fool proof diet for years was 2 eggs for breakfast, apple for a snack, plain chicken breast with some sort of green for lunch, protein shake for snack and plain chicken breast with some sort of green for dinner and maybe a handful of trail mix later in the evening. I would also save one day a week to eat whatever I wanted as I thought this would switch things up enough for my metabolism to not plateau by eating the same thing day in and day out. This was my diet along with 5 days of exercise (mix of cardio and weights) and the weight would just drop off. I could achieve my goal in 2-3 months time. 200 is the weight that will drive me back to dieting and the gym and my ideal weight is 170. I recently started the diet again and realized its less than 1000 calories a day, yet I am more than satisfied. It kills me to add more food to the diet but I know bodies change and I guess I will have to adjust as necessary; I do notice that my muscles are getting bigger, but the pounds arent falling off like they used to.
If by "weight" you're talking about fat I don't think you need to eat more if you're not hungry, I think you probably need more vigorous fat burning exercise. Doing more exercise and eating the proper foods (without sugar and excess carbs) will make you hungry when your body needs it and keep you from getting hungry when it doesn't. It's also important to know that there are two kinds of fat. You also need to eat veggies and whole foods.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...-natural-foods

Old 05-17-2022, 05:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I do not know why this happens.

When I do my 50 min cardio 4x a week and eat my usual 1200 cal diet daily,I lose 2 pounds a week easily.

When I added weights to my regimen(lifting 3x a week) plus the 50 min cardio 4x a week and 1200 cal diet daily,my weight loss stalled.

Is this normal?
I'm going to disagree with the majority of posters here. This is not an issue of muscle mass gain hiding fat loss; that is mathematically impossible. A woman--under ideal conditions--would be doing well to gain 1/4 of a pound of muscle per week. That is not enough to "hide" fat loss.

There is some other explanation here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness