Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 12:01 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,683,792 times

Advertisements

There's this physical therapy comedy duo on You-Tube (Brad and Bob) that are dead-set against toe-touching as a stretch/warm-up exercise. I've done toe-touches my whole life and feel better after doing them. Now they are verboten?

It's not just this duo---other sources say they are bad for the back. I don't get it---it seems like a normal move for the human body. See the field workers bent over. That's how I pick up stuff on the floor (squatting is hard on joint replacements).

I know "they" are always learning more about the human body, but this seems like such a basic move, compared to say, sit-ups which are also considered bad now (the full ones).

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 12:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 634,202 times
Personally I've never done toe touching, but I can see how some ppl should avoid it if they have bad lower backs.

TBF a lot of ppl neglect warm ups and stretching, esp the muscle bound crowd. Lol I do because I'm short for time and barely can fit in my workouts as is.

I say do them if you can without straining anything.

I can do situps if I want, but admit I rather do crunches because my back does get a bit too tight sometimes.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:12 PM

50,412 posts, read 64,161,814 times
If you have had a hip replacement....avoid bending at the waist more than 90 degrees. Learned this the hard way, since DH has dislocated his hip twice.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:16 PM

5,126 posts, read 2,705,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
There's this physical therapy comedy duo on You-Tube (Brad and Bob) that are dead-set against toe-touching as a stretch/warm-up exercise. I've done toe-touches my whole life and feel better after doing them. Now they are verboten?

It's not just this duo---other sources say they are bad for the back. I don't get it---it seems like a normal move for the human body. See the field workers bent over. That's how I pick up stuff on the floor (squatting is hard on joint replacements).

I know "they" are always learning more about the human body, but this seems like such a basic move, compared to say, sit-ups which are also considered bad now (the full ones).

What do you think?
I've read this in several fitness journals because your back bears the brunt of it. Brad and Bob seriously know their stuff so I would heed whatever they are saying. These guys have given me a number of exercises that have been very useful to me with sports injuries and conditions. If they said this I'm sure they also provided alternative stretches, no?

Old 05-31-2022, 12:26 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,566,905 times
If you have osteoporosis you have to maintain a neutral spine when exercising. No toe touching, no sit ups and no sudden loading of the arms and legs - so no jumping jacks.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:46 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,683,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you have had a hip replacement....avoid bending at the waist more than 90 degrees. Learned this the hard way, since DH has dislocated his hip twice.
Huh. Never heard this before. I have your DH beat as I've had THREE hip dislocations (I was ready to die over it). But due to a faulty hip replacement that hopefully got fixed a year ago. I specifically asked my ortho surgeon about toe-touching and he said it's fine.

I wish Brad and Bob would address joint replacements since they say they work with older folks a lot.
I am doing the other stretches they advise. They talked about the toe-touching causing a bad back, is all.

FWIW: my surgeon said no more Indian-sitting or leg-crossing....(unnatural and bad for hips)

But yeah, I guess I can give up the toe-touching....

B&B also said full-squatting is bad! Sigh. (only go down to 90 degrees)

Old 05-31-2022, 01:03 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,331,153 times
I used to get the business in gym class growing up because I've never been able to touch my toes. EVER.

Old 05-31-2022, 01:39 PM

9,452 posts, read 8,425,925 times
I've got long legs and I've never been able to touch my toes. I stretch my hammies however I can but touching ones toes seem arbitrary since everyone has different body types.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:20 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,996,398 times
Even when I was young, in great shape and heavily into exercise I didn't do those types of exercises. I would stretch just not like that. My hamstrings were so tight it felt like I had a huge softball in the back of each leg. If I had touched my toes too many times I would have pulled a hammy or two.

Honestly, today I don't think people need to cut this exercise out of their workout routine since so many can barely touch their knees so probably aren't trying to touch their toes anyways.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:41 PM

33,332 posts, read 26,546,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

What do you think?

If you personally are able to touch your toes without any problems then I see no reason to stop doing them. However, there are alternative ways to stretch your hamstrings without putting stress on your lower back such as these as demonstrated by Bob and Brad.

How to Unlock Your Hamstrings. How to Tell if They Are Tight. Decrease Back Pain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msxQR56U7sI

I often will bend over as if to touch my toes but go no lower than I can while keeping my back flat and bracing myself by resting the palms of my hands on my shins or tucking my forearms into the crease between the top of my legs and torso. This gives a good stretch to the hamstrings without putting the lower back at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness