Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 11:27 PM

1,048 posts, read 691,623 times

Advertisements

Doing one 45 minute youtube cardio kickboxing and weights class:

1. I do it in my living room with the fan on and air con running. I sweat and I get tired, but I usually finish the routine without stopping.

OR

2. I do the same routine outside of my condo in the high humidity and heat. I live in SE Asia so even at night, it's bloody hot and humid out. When I do exercises this way I sweat like crazy, get out of breath faster than when I'm indoors, and sometimes need to stop for a rest.

Which way is better for burning calories, losing weight, and even building a little muscle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 07:41 AM

33,286 posts, read 26,487,831 times
In my opinion, the first way is better. If you do it the second way in high heat you're not going to workout as hard as you would in more comfortable temperatures and thus won't burn as many calories.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
In my opinion, the first way is better. If you do it the second way in high heat you're not going to workout as hard as you would in more comfortable temperatures and thus won't burn as many calories.
So the extra sweating and extra heavy breathing aren't as beneficial as doing the full workout?

Old 07-11-2022, 05:52 AM

1,140 posts, read 622,223 times
Depends on your ultimate goal.

You will need to workout longer and harder outside in the heat. Your body would overheat and you naturally need to rest longer between sets. So if you do EXACTLY the same reps and weights outside, you will burn more calories and lose a bit more weight.

If you are young, resilient, healthy ... then try the outside set up. If you are old like me with creaky joints, better off doing it inside where it's cooler and less stressful on your whole body.

Your call.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:45 AM

33,286 posts, read 26,487,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
So the extra sweating and extra heavy breathing aren't as beneficial as doing the full workout?
The sweating just uses up water which is replaced the next time you drink fluids. You can workout harder and longer when the temperature is optimal than when exercising in temperature extremes and you won't be miserable.

Greg Doucette addresses this issue in the video below. Hear what he has to say and reach your own conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelDh-ZtigY

Old 07-11-2022, 10:43 AM

22,352 posts, read 29,465,198 times
I personally would go hot

Old 07-11-2022, 11:00 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,422,837 times
I can't handle working out in heat and humidity. Saunas make me faint. I will always choose to work out in a climate controlled environment or work out outside at a time when the ambient temperature isn't adding any additional stress.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The sweating just uses up water which is replaced the next time you drink fluids. You can workout harder and longer when the temperature is optimal than when exercising in temperature extremes and you won't be miserable.

Greg Doucette addresses this issue in the video below. Hear what he has to say and reach your own conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelDh-ZtigY
Amazing video. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2022, 09:34 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,717,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Amazing video. Thanks!
That guy rambled on for over nine minutes to say what could have been said in one. Thank God science can validate common sense. Have you ever worked out when it's too hot or too cold vs being comfortable? I personally like it a bit cooler with a bit of a breeze (like a having a ceiling fan on if I'm indoors). I can walk or run further and work out longer when the temperature is cooler and there is a bit of air movement to keep my body temp normal.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:02 AM

9,415 posts, read 8,388,669 times
There is a gym here that is an old school type place that I LOVE. However, it is in a warehouse with no a/c and the 2 or 3 times I went there I felt like passing out I got so hot just lifting weights.

I personally cannot exercise properly when I'm feeling so hot that I'm miserable. I don't need it to be at a perfect temp but just knowing that I'll be miserable is not an incentive to workout often or workout hard. We have a new "hot yoga" studio near us and I just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness