Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 11:31 AM

1,140 posts, read 619,685 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've been working out for over 20 yrs... on and off.

During Covid I've upped my workouts - all dumbbells 4 days a week.

Standard stuff... hammer curls, bicep curls, tricep extensions, squats with dumbbells, etc.

I'm a good boy and always have a rest day for my muscles to recoup and avoid RSI. But as I age I find that my forearms and wrists are starting to hurt constantly. And not that good muscle workout hurt, but more like ligaments, joints, and sharp muscle hurting.

I've done my research and have done forearm and wrist stretches and even bought a muscle roller - and they actually make a huge difference.

BUT they still hurt quite a lot from time to time. You know the kind of pain that wakes you up at night.

A lot has to do with my inherit weak hand / grip strength.

Has anybody else run into this problem and is there a solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 11:36 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Okay, I've been working out for over 20 yrs... on and off.

During Covid I've upped my workouts - all dumbbells 4 days a week.

Standard stuff... hammer curls, bicep curls, tricep extensions, squats with dumbbells, etc.

I'm a good boy and always have a rest day for my muscles to recoup and avoid RSI. But as I age I find that my forearms and wrists are starting to hurt constantly. And not that good muscle workout hurt, but more like ligaments, joints, and sharp muscle hurting.

I've done my research and have done forearm and wrist stretches and even bought a muscle roller - and they actually make a huge difference.

BUT they still hurt quite a lot from time to time. You know the kind of pain that wakes you up at night.

A lot has to do with my inherit weak hand / grip strength.

Has anybody else run into this problem and is there a solution?
Have you tried to wear wrist braces?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-29-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Have you tried to wear wrist braces?
Lol I know it's an obvious thing to try but no.

Wrist braces and even wrist straps were something I considered. Then somebody told me to try muscle wraps?

I may try wrist braces if it gets worse. I'm just afraid that anything that aids in my grip work, that it may make my grip / hand strength worse?

Old 07-29-2022, 11:49 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,337,220 times
You don't say how old you are, but if you've been working out 20 years it's a good chance you're getting to be 40+. With that comes wonderful things like tendenitus. The only way to get rid of it is rest along with ice and/or NSAIDs.

In the future, don't hit is so hard. It may be time to start flattening the weight instead of increasing as well.

At 58, I'd love to still be benching 365, along with 100 pound dumb bells, but it's not practical any longer.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
You don't say how old you are, but if you've been working out 20 years it's a good chance you're getting to be 40+. With that comes wonderful things like tendenitus. The only way to get rid of it is rest along with ice and/or NSAIDs.

In the future, don't hit is so hard. It may be time to start flattening the weight instead of increasing as well.

At 58, I'd love to still be benching 365, along with 100 pound dumb bells, but it's not practical any longer.
I am definitely 40++++++++++ lol.

Dammit I was worried that it would be tendonitus or some sort of arthritic problem.

I even researched all those supplements to take (Glucosamine, Chondrotin, etc) and as far as I've seen, there has been ZERO conclusive evidence that they are effective.

I definitely take longer to workout now... take longer rest periods between sets. I hate that.

I rather not take NSAIDS, but I will consider toning it down a bit... maybe even take some time off... like a week or two for my body to recover.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:04 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,337,220 times
Quote:
I even researched all those supplements to take (Glucosamine, Chondrotin, etc) and as far as I've seen, there has been ZERO conclusive evidence that they are effective.
I take them all along with turmeric, and as I've gotten older they've not been able to keep up with the inflammation honestly. Early on I do think they were helpful.

Quote:
I rather not take NSAIDS, but I will consider toning it down a bit... maybe even take some time off... like a week or two for my body to recover.
Extended periods of rest are good occasionally at our advanced ages.

I am prescribed Celebrex which I generally take every three to four days one time. The next morning I feel amazing, but leading up to that I'm really stiff. Definitely take as little NSAIDs as possible as you know. They have creams that work as a localized NSAID. I use it for my hands to keep me from waking through the night. It's much better for you than the oral NSIAIDs.

Best of luck. You're going to need it.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:25 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Lol I know it's an obvious thing to try but no.

Wrist braces and even wrist straps were something I considered. Then somebody told me to try muscle wraps?

I may try wrist braces if it gets worse. I'm just afraid that anything that aids in my grip work, that it may make my grip / hand strength worse?
Muscle wrap, wrist brace, it pretty much does the same thing. It supports the problem area (wrist), and it shouldn't affect your grip.

I'm 55, and have RA in my hands, so sometimes my grip is less than. There are always workarounds. I take 2 days off a week, rotate weights between upper and lower body the rest of the days, and always core work. You do have to listen to your body.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-29-2022, 12:40 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Muscle wrap, wrist brace, it pretty much does the same thing. It supports the problem area (wrist), and it shouldn't affect your grip.

I'm 55, and have RA in my hands, so sometimes my grip is less than. There are always workarounds. I take 2 days off a week, rotate weights between upper and lower body the rest of the days, and always core work. You do have to listen to your body.
Yes. Wrist wraps. You want to stabilize the area so as not to add extra stress, pull and irritation.

Young people can ignore. This is not applicable to you.

Here is what I do. Wrap each wrist in a strip fashion securely and tight with athletic tape. Then add the wrist wraps over them. Now they should be pretty protected so as not to add stress (I also use straps for back and gripping). Unlike the others here, now I say "go to town and train like a beast." Because someday you are not going to be able to - so have some fun while you can (unless you are injured of course). NAISD's help keep down inflammation. Another one of my daily assistants.

I am not a doctor and I know slowing down is not what people want to hear. So as someone who likes to have fun - for today - wrap those wrists and have at it.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:51 PM

Wrist Wraps:

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-We...120416&sr=8-10

Lifting Straps (you can even wrap around db's and bb's ):
https://www.amazon.com/Harbinger-Pad...120416&sr=8-41

Athletic Tape:
https://www.amazon.com/Athletic-Spor...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Old 07-29-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I'm just afraid that anything that aids in my grip work, that it may make my grip / hand strength worse?
As we start having arthritic and changing joints, being active and working the muscles is still so important.

For younger people, using aids is not recommended. Training for grip strength for them is important.

But as joints change and arthritis creeps in, then we need to be more cognizant of protecting our joints and tendons. Pulling, stress and weight on joints just adds to inflammation issues. An older athlete has to approach training differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness