Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 06:51 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,677,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Unless you are very, very careful about being "active" and still being at rest.

I use a heart rate monitor to gauge that. After decades of using a heart rate monitor in my cardio (since the years I was an avid road cyclist), I know what "exercise" looks like to my heart. I may get on the elliptical or go for a walk on a "rest" day, but I keep my heartrate well below the "exercise" level.

And I don't do anything other than that very light cardio on a "rest" day.
I used a heart rate monitor when I was running a lot of road races. I did an easy/hard schedule based on my own maximum heart rate. It was basically running under 70% of max HR on easy days and running over 85% of maximum HR on hard days. Most runners tend to run somewhere in the middle on all days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 06:59 AM

2,119 posts, read 1,463,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
The more you move the more energy you have. The more you rest the more you're tired.
Not me. I must be a lazy slug. If I worked out 3 hours a day, 7 days a week including cardio I would be slobbering down the sides of my mouth and throw myself in bed at some point in a vegetative state. Even at my peak athletic times when I was younger, I could not do that for very long.

You are an anomaly. Kind of like a super human at 56 to do that. You could teach that millionaire guy that is trying to be 18 that is in the news a few things.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:43 AM

574 posts, read 268,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Not me. I must be a lazy slug. If I worked out 3 hours a day, 7 days a week including cardio I would be slobbering down the sides of my mouth and throw myself in bed at some point in a vegetative state. Even at my peak athletic times when I was younger, I could not do that for very long.

You are an anomaly. Kind of like a super human at 56 to do that. You could teach that millionaire guy that is trying to be 18 that is in the news a few things.
There is nothing anomalous about me. For those of who continued to work and train hard since high school, I'm average. Of course, most people don't do that. But for those of us who do we don't atrophy like you lazy slugs.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:57 AM

10,571 posts, read 7,781,727 times
Quote:

Your body is not meant to rest. Do you think hunter and gatherers rest? No ...
Yes, they did. And do.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Yes, they did. And do.
They do? I stayed with a hunter and gatherer tribe. They go out looking for food and hunting everyday, and there are many activities in camp they need to do everyday. I never once saw them rest the entire day.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:44 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
They do? I stayed with a hunter and gatherer tribe. They go out looking for food and hunting everyday, and there are many activities in camp they need to do everyday. I never once saw them rest the entire day.
They don't rest an entire day, but they don't spend constant hours in maximal effort, either.

And neither do you.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:58 AM

35,111 posts, read 17,063,143 times
Quote:
Your body is not meant to rest. Do you think hunter and gatherers rest? No. They need to move everyday. The more you move the more energy you have. The more you rest the more you're tired.
The concept of a rest day is built into the Tanach, the first five books of the Hebrew Bible.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They don't rest an entire day, but they don't spend constant hours in maximal effort, either.

And neither do you.
There is no such thing as maximal effort, but I always go to 90% of my max when lifting, and at the beginning of a month I do a strength test where I try to push my 1 rep max.

As for cardio, if I have an easy cardio day, I keep at 160BPM for 1 hour, a harder I will push it to 170-180BPM for at least 30 minutes.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:50 AM

33,281 posts, read 26,487,831 times
Quote:
I completely disagree. I'm 56, maybe there will be a point when I will need a "rest" day, but so far I don't.

I lift weights and do cardio 6 days a week, 2x a day. Cardio morning (1 hour), weights evening (2 hours). On the 7th day I don't rest, I bike, walk for hours, swim etc. But I avoid the gym, that's enough to reset my nervous system.

Your body is not meant to rest. Do you think hunter and gatherers rest? No. They need to move everyday. The more you move the more energy you have. The more you rest the more you're tired.
Your body absolutely needs rest. That's why you get tired. That's why you need to sleep. The body recuperates during periods of rest. Overtraining results from not allowing your body to fully recover from your previous workouts. I'm 69. Yesterday I did heavy leg presses going over 1000 lbs for 8 reps with good range of motion. It will be at least 6 days, and perhaps 7 or 8 days before I'm ready to do leg presses again. If I didn't allow for sufficient rest I would be setting myself up for injury.

Sure, something like walking or riding a bike can be done everyday, but anything which breaks down muscle tissue such as heavy weight training requires periods of rest which is when the muscles grow.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:55 AM

33,281 posts, read 26,487,831 times
Quote:
No one said don't move at all. What's being discussed is intense training such as weight training. Not doing normal everyday activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness