Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 01:24 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

Bumping it up to 6 days a week for my upcoming trip to Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2023, 05:58 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
I'm 82, and I don't "exercise" like many posters here. I'm self employed and work a physical job (self-employed) every day. My work involves climbing up and down 2 and 3 story homes and attics, inspecting basements, and performing head and shoulder inspections of crawl spaces. I measure exteriors of homes, pole buildings, porches, pools, and other improvements. My own home has 2 stories, a walk-up attic, and full basement. In my younger years, I tried exercise classes, dance classes, and stretching classes. I never lasted, because I really didn't enjoy them. My advice to younger women, is "stay active" no matter what you do. I'm a believer that you don't need a gym to keep young and fit. So far, keeping active (mentally and physically) has been beneficial for me, along with working from my home/office, way over 40 hours/week.

Old 04-27-2023, 12:25 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,949 times
Age 48. weights 4 or 5 days a week. cardio 2 or 3 days a week. I arrive at the gym at 6am and finish 7:15 am, on sundays from 8 to 10am

Old 04-27-2023, 03:05 PM

8,338 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Plenty.

Old 04-27-2023, 03:24 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,108,526 times
Being married to someone that doesn't exercise much puts limits on my time. I'm 61 and still lift weights 1 - 2 times a week and run 2 -3 times a week. I walk everyday. Thirty minutes at lunch everyday, and often in the evening with my wife (her only real exercise). I'm transitioning from Treadmill running to outdoor running now. Still in the 3 - 4 mile range. I'll start training for a 10K in late July soon. Looking at past race statistics, if I can get just under 9 minute miles I should be #1 for the 60 - 69 age bracket. That's my goal.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:41 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Age 45. Sedentary for the past couple of decades and am now getting back into it. When you're pulling a cold start, not getting hurt is important and easy to do. I cold started about 6 months ago, but took a class that was jumping aroud with weights and ended up hurting myself. This time around I'm going for slow and steady. Slow yoga is quite amazing really. I think one of the best things I've done is to incorporate swimming days. I can get a solid workout from swimming/aqua sports with next to no negative impact on joints etc.

My hero though, is Yoshihiro Akiyama, who said this on the Physical 100 on Netflix.

“I’m 48 in Korean age this year, and I wanted to show middle-aged men around the world that I can go head-to-head with younger athletes and beat them. That’s why I applied. I wanted to win.

“Still, ranking in the final 20 out of 100, I gave the other middle-aged guys watching just a little hope and courage. Thanks so much to ‘Physical: 100’ for giving me that role.

“Us middle-aged men can do it. We still got it. That’s all.”

Old 05-01-2023, 10:04 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,152,851 times
Do as much as possible.

One of my relatives has been sedentary for decades and it sped up the progression of her dementia.

Get busy living or get busy dying.

Old 05-01-2023, 12:19 PM

3,058 posts, read 2,035,841 times
I'm late 60s and active every day. Every day I: garden, woodwork and paint, daily walk and once a week a hike up and down a hilly park, cook from scratch every other day (husband does alternates days) and then there's daily ping pong (table tennis to some).

I bought a ping pong table for husbands Christmas present after convincing him we had room with furniture re-arrangement. He needed something for winter activity and OMG he loves it and so do I. We play every day for almost an hour but I just asked to cut back to every other day because my other commitments were getting behind.

This summer we'll hike in Blue Ridge several weeks (one week at a time) it's just 2-3 hrs away.
We're trying to stay in shape as we age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness