Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 06:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,146,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's kind of odd though--why would the manager care what some guy's wife, who doesn't even belong to the gym, says about his personality? Any blowback would still be on the member, so why not just say something directly?
I think the idea is that the letter won’t be from the member so the manager can’t go after the member for complaining, but the letter is from the wife so it’s not anonymous. The member and the wife have different last names. Yes, it’s kind of odd. But apparently I’m not the only one who doesn’t want to get in a fight with staff, since the staff could just protect each other.

A while back, someone turned the music in the gym to be a Christian radio station. The gym manager mocked it and the person. That shows that the staff isn’t really worried about having run-ins with members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 12:08 AM

14,734 posts, read 15,204,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post

......... But apparently I’m not the only one who doesn’t want to get in a fight with staff, since the staff could just protect each other.......

........The gym manager mocked it and the person. That shows that the staff isn’t really worried about having run-ins with members.
Where is the actual owner of this business? You know, the real business owner/operator that pays the manager and staff their wages? Does the owner ever put in a personal appearance at the premises? I don't believe the manager can be the business owner so you have to know who the actual owner is.

Why haven't you or anyone else complained to the business owner and let the business owner know what kind of disruptive and disrespectful behaviour is going on with his hired manager and staff?

If the hired manager and staff aren't concerned about having run-ins with gym members and they're so disrespectful to members then why are you and other members going to that gym? What is so special about it? What keeps you there enduring such disrespectful behaviour from staff instead of getting membership in some other gym where you will get professionalism and your own money's worth out the membership you pay for?

Old 11-01-2022, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Where is the actual owner of this business? You know, the real business owner/operator that pays the manager and staff their wages?
It’s a nonprofit with a board. There is an overall manager. People might have complained before. The gym is really nice and really inexpensive and you can join the gym by just paying a small surcharge on top of regular membership dues for the organization generally so it’s a really good deal.

UPDATE

The manager can talking at me while I was doing some leg presses and listening to music. I pointed to the earphones in my ears and said, “I’m working out right now” and just totally ignored him after that. He kept talking for a little bit more but I think he got the message.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:07 AM

2,133 posts, read 1,483,291 times
To: GSPNative:

My trembling, misguided fingie deleted your DM to me. I did not get the op (or desire) to read it, other than some rude title seemed to be there I am thinking.

My advice to you regarding DM's, a lanyard if you will:

"Do not disturb"

Now go do something useful today.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:37 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,634,119 times
Quote:
UPDATE

At the gym this morning, in the locker room, I mentioned to another member how kind he was to stop running on the treadmill when the manager jumps up next to him. He said that he actually didn’t like it but figured that it wasn’t a battle worth fighting.

Long story short, his wife is sending a letter to the manager, telling him to stop. She’s not a club member so the manager can get mad at her all he wants.

I didn’t see the manager there today but have been practicing.

(Snackmaster, thanks for your post and I like your handle!)
This strikes me as an irritating, unhealthy environment that sounds like a private playground for entitled snobs who've never been told no. Paying members are being forced to walk on eggshells around people who are so narcissistic that the members themselves aren't comfortable speaking up?

Sorry, I'd put my foot down and make my position clear ONCE, and if that didn't do it I'd pay the extra few dollars to go to a better gym, and I'd sure as hell make my reasons known on the way out.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
This strikes me as an irritating, unhealthy environment that sounds like a private playground for entitled snobs who've never been told no. Paying members are being forced to walk on eggshells around people who are so narcissistic that the members themselves aren't comfortable speaking up?

Sorry, I'd put my foot down and make my position clear ONCE, and if that didn't do it I'd pay the extra few dollars to go to a better gym, and I'd sure as hell make my reasons known on the way out.
Thanks. You have great advice.

If the gym manager has been there 30 years, and I’ve just one of hundreds or thousands of members and have been there just a few years, I figure that management would take his side, not mine. And in any event, the manager could trash talk me to other employees and I’d be marked as someone difficult (not just in the gym but in other parts of the building, such as the restaurants, which I like).

Old 11-01-2022, 12:09 PM

402 posts, read 282,865 times
Quote:
I think the idea is that the letter won’t be from the member so the manager can’t go after the member for complaining, but the letter is from the wife so it’s not anonymous. The member and the wife have different last names. Yes, it’s kind of odd. But apparently I’m not the only one who doesn’t want to get in a fight with staff, since the staff could just protect each other.

A while back, someone turned the music in the gym to be a Christian radio station. The gym manager mocked it and the person. That shows that the staff isn’t really worried about having run-ins with members.
Now I've read it all. What kind of place is this and why in the Lord's name don't you have your ear plugs in from the minute you enter to the minute you leave...

Old 11-01-2022, 01:01 PM

23,556 posts, read 19,330,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
Now I've read it all. What kind of place is this and why in the Lord's name don't you have your ear plugs in from the minute you enter to the minute you leave...
Sounds as if the OP likes just about everything else about this gym except the manager who's somehow managed not to be reprimanded or fired over his conduct for 30 years. If there hasn't been a groundswell of complaints, maybe the problem rests with the OP, not the irritating manager. Other members probably don't like the intrusions either, but maybe they've found ways to ignore it or chosen to pick different battles in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-01-2022 at 02:09 PM..

Old 11-01-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
I do. I’ve even worn large over-the-ear headphones and the manager still comes up and talks at me while I’m rowing or lifting weights or something (not while taking a break).

Old 11-02-2022, 05:43 AM

UPDATE

At the gym this morning, as usual, I was lifting weights and listening to music, with wired earphones. The manager, as usual, came up and started talking at me. I tapped on my earphones, shook my head and said, very loudly, “I’M WORKING OUT NOW”, and I turned away from him.

He kept talking.

I think that this is settled; he’s not going to stop taking at people, so I’ll just treat him as autistic and tell him to stop and just walk away.

Separately, if I ever send a direct message to anyone, please feel free to post it in its entirety. I have nothing to hide.

Last edited by GSPNative; 11-02-2022 at 06:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness