Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 06:40 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times

Advertisements

So you won’t complain about this guy to higher management because you assume that higher management will back him up?

How will you know unless you actually complain to higher management? How much worse would it be for you if higher management backs him up? Surely they wouldn’t revoke your membership because you’d rather work out at the gym than bs with someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 07:04 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,026 times
It’s not a battle worth fighting. I’ve asked him to stop (or otherwise told him that I am not up for talking) yet he continues. Others have probably complained, too. He clearly has some kind of mental issue and he deserves sympathy, rather than a demerit at work. With his 30 years of experience and what I understand is a tight community of employees, I see no chance of success, and I don’t want to get in a battle that I won’t clearly win.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:38 AM

551 posts, read 343,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Thanks. You have great advice.

If the gym manager has been there 30 years, and I’ve just one of hundreds or thousands of members and have been there just a few years, I figure that management would take his side, not mine. And in any event, the manager could trash talk me to other employees and I’d be marked as someone difficult (not just in the gym but in other parts of the building, such as the restaurants, which I like).
Perhaps if management knew about how he continuely bothers members with the constant talking maybe they could find another position for him within the company where he's not directly dealing with members.

Sounds like other members may have already complained or are thinking about doing so. This is a business and their bottom line is the dollars. If enough members leave because they feel harassed by this employee then management would do something.

I've heard it's something like for every one complaint there's eight that don't say anything.

Last edited by bellamax2; 11-02-2022 at 08:53 AM..

Old 11-02-2022, 09:15 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
It’s not a battle worth fighting. I’ve asked him to stop (or otherwise told him that I am not up for talking) yet he continues. Others have probably complained, too. He clearly has some kind of mental issue and he deserves sympathy, rather than a demerit at work. With his 30 years of experience and what I understand is a tight community of employees, I see no chance of success, and I don’t want to get in a battle that I won’t clearly win.
If you have a legitimate complaint relative to any employee/business, why do you assume from the get-go it’s a battle you ‘won’t win’; for that matter, why do you view it as something to ‘win’ or ‘lose’ at all - particularly if he has some sort of mental issue. If you’re aware of such, the employer is too; in other words, all the more reason they would take your complaint seriously (and the more likely it’s happening to others as well). That he has been there for thirty years, however, suggests otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
Perhaps if management knew about how he continuely bothers members with the constant talking maybe they could find another position for him within the company where he's not directly dealing with members.
Yep, it’s not rocket science - particularly if it’s known he continually bothers members. Naturally, businesses want legitimate feedback.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:34 AM

^Well no kidding, however, since this thread is pages long and a letter still hasn't been written to management the obvious needs to be stated.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:41 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
^Well since this thread is pages long and a letter still hasn't been written to management the obvious needs to be stated.
The OP should be documenting each incident as well in order to support his/her claim.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:05 AM

^Doesn't sound like that's going to happen, that's why this thread is so long. When a letter to management would be a good start.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:15 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,026 times
Quote:
^Doesn't sound like that's going to happen, that's why this thread is so long. When a letter to management would be a good start.
Another member’s wife wrote a letter directly to the manager. He must have received it by now and if so he is clearly ignoring people’s requests to stop interrupting their workouts.

This thread has shown that the manager may be autistic. If not, he clearly has some mental issue. Employers can be wary of demoting or disciplining someone whose behavior is due to a mental or other health condition; they often try to accommodate the employee. I just figure that the only result of a letter to management would be that I’d then have to face an angry gym manager in the morning. He’s not going to stop interrupting people and there would be nobody to stop him from coming at me in the gym.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:27 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Not knowing the guy, he doesn't sound autistic, he sounds like an extraverted gym bro who's trying to "connect" with clients and check in with everyone. Some people literally cannot understand that people don't want to talk, because they do, and what they want is normal. You say this guy has worked there for decades--he probably feels like he's the mayor.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Another member’s wife wrote a letter directly to the manager. He must have received it by now and if so he is clearly ignoring people’s requests to stop interrupting their workouts.

This thread has shown that the manager may be autistic. If not, he clearly has some mental issue. Employers can be wary of demoting or disciplining someone whose behavior is due to a mental or other health condition; they often try to accommodate the employee. I just figure that the only result of a letter to management would be that I’d then have to face an angry gym manager in the morning. He’s not going to stop interrupting people and there would be nobody to stop him from coming at me in the gym.
Of course he's going to ignore a letter from a member's wife, that letter wouldn't be effective.

So it sounds like from your post nothing can or will be done. Guess there's nothing more to really say on this matter. All angles have been talked about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness