Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 10:43 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,131,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
Of course he's going to ignore a letter from a member's wife, that letter wouldn't be effective.

So it sounds like from your post nothing can or will be done. Guess there's nothing more to really say on this matter. All angles have been talked about.
Correct. The advice that I’ve received in this thread is most appreciated. I think that directly telling him to stop, as I’ve done, is the way to go. I’ll keep doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 10:46 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Correct. The advice that I’ve received in this thread is most appreciated. I think that directly telling him to stop, as I’ve done, is the way to go. I’ll keep doing it.
And that's fine--you don't even have to be rude about it. Just say, "Morning, Eddie, I can't talk while I'm working out," and go back to what you were doing.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Quote:
Could I ask how you’d handle this?...Would you just keep ignoring him, as eventually he’ll go away?

Would you tell him, “Leave me alone!”?

Would you ask his boss (the club’s general manager) to tell him not to interrupt people who are in the middle of workouts or listening to music?

Would you ask him and his boss for a meeting to discuss why I’m not allowed to work out, and ask for a refund of gym dues?

I’m thinking that I should keep ignoring him. It seems rude but that is better than telling him to leave me alone, I think. But ignoring him means that he’ll come within inches of my face when I’m running on the treadmill, waving his hands and talking at me, which is really disturbing.

Thanks.
If you feel threatened, make a formal complaint. If not: Stop your workout. Look him in the eyes, smile, and tell him politely that you come to the gym to workout and would prefer that he leave you to it, uninterrupted. No explanation should be necessary, but if you want to soften it just tell him you need to completely concentrate on the workout to attain your goals.

IF he persists, then do this again, with the added information that this is your second request, and if he persists you will have to make a formal complaint.

If he in anyway thereafter treats you with any attitude less than respectful, make that formal complaint.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:32 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Another member’s wife wrote a letter directly to the manager. He must have received it by now and if so he is clearly ignoring people’s requests to stop interrupting their workouts.

This thread has shown that the manager may be autistic. If not, he clearly has some mental issue. Employers can be wary of demoting or disciplining someone whose behavior is due to a mental or other health condition; they often try to accommodate the employee. I just figure that the only result of a letter to management would be that I’d then have to face an angry gym manager in the morning. He’s not going to stop interrupting people and there would be nobody to stop him from coming at me in the gym.

Sound a bit like HS drama - mama sends a letter to the principal that her son is being bulllied

Stand up, put up or get out. Any other viable options?

Old 11-02-2022, 03:37 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,201 times
This is quite an interesting situation at the gym.

A chatty gym manager who talks to everyone. I knew someone like that at work. He just circled the room wherever: office, starbucks, gym and chatted with everyone.
He ended up moving overseas so that's not an option here.
Anyway, maybe if you come off as unstable, needy, or a guy with non-stop phobias (ala Adrian Monk) he'll leave you alone. He used to cringe when someone would call him non-stop. I said well, you opened the door by initiating the conversation.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
This is quite an interesting situation at the gym.

A chatty gym manager who talks to everyone. I knew someone like that at work. He just circled the room wherever: office, starbucks, gym and chatted with everyone.
He ended up moving overseas so that's not an option here.
Anyway, maybe if you come off as unstable, needy, or a guy with non-stop phobias (ala Adrian Monk) he'll leave you alone. He used to cringe when someone would call him non-stop. I said well, you opened the door by initiating the conversation.
Thanks. Sounds like the gym manager.

He won’t leave me alone, so I guess there’s some upside to that (I don’t come across that way, I guess).

Old 11-02-2022, 07:02 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,201 times
Unfortunately you may have to take a side with something polarizing that most of the public is against to make him think twice.
- politics, tell him you're listening to death metal, gangster rap, you watched a serial killer show over and over again, you made a big bet on dog fighting.
This sounds so much like a plot from a Seinfeld episode. What would Jerry or Elaine do in this situation. lol

Old 11-02-2022, 09:20 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Could I ask how you’d handle this?

I am a member of a gym that is part of a private club (like a country club or the like). It’s a nice place and there are very strict rules about members’ behavior, including no rude treatment of staff.

I work out in the mornings. I like to go to the gym then. I cannot go later in the day. I wear headphones or earphones when I work out, and I listen to music. I really don’t like being interrupted.

However, the gym manager won’t leave me alone. Every morning at the gym, he’ll come up and start talking at me about random topics, such as work or current events. He does this when I’m working out. For example, I’ll be running on the treadmill, listening to music, and he’ll interrupt. I’ll be in the middle of a set of lifting free weights, and he’ll interrupt. When I ignore him, he’ll come within inches of me, waving his hands within inches of my face (which I ignore until he goes away). Or when I’m running, he’ll stand there and talk at me.

Would you just keep ignoring him, as eventually he’ll go away?

Would you tell him, “Leave me alone!”?

Would you ask his boss (the club’s general manager) to tell him not to interrupt people who are in the middle of workouts or listening to music?

Would you ask him and his boss for a meeting to discuss why I’m not allowed to work out, and ask for a refund of gym dues?

I’m thinking that I should keep ignoring him. It seems rude but that is better than telling him to leave me alone, I think. But ignoring him means that he’ll come within inches of my face when I’m running on the treadmill, waving his hands and talking at me, which is really disturbing.

Thanks.
Oh HELL NO! This mgr sounds like a stalker. I'm NOT kidding. Go up the chain of command. If that doesn't work, then punch the guy in the throat. (We hate that.) If he invades your personal space ever again.

Seriously, he sounds like he's trying to groom you. Beware.

EDIT~ I didn't bother reading the 136 posts between your first post, and this one. Did I miss anything?

Old 11-03-2022, 06:18 AM

UPDATE

At the gym this morning:

Yet again, I was listening to music on wired earphones, and working out, and the gym manager came up and started talking at me. I tapped the earphones, smiled, said, “I’m working out”, and walked away. He kept on talking for a bit.

I saw him jump on treadmills next to people who were running, and he’d talk at them.

The cycle repeats!

Old 11-03-2022, 09:17 AM

555 posts, read 348,356 times
^Of course the cycle will keep repeating.

He either doesn't understand or does and enjoys bothering people. Either way you are the only person you can change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness