Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 11:35 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,131,665 times

Advertisements

Could I ask how you’d handle this?

I am a member of a gym that is part of a private club (like a country club or the like). It’s a nice place and there are very strict rules about members’ behavior, including no rude treatment of staff.

I work out in the mornings. I like to go to the gym then. I cannot go later in the day. I wear headphones or earphones when I work out, and I listen to music. I really don’t like being interrupted.

However, the gym manager won’t leave me alone. Every morning at the gym, he’ll come up and start talking at me about random topics, such as work or current events. He does this when I’m working out. For example, I’ll be running on the treadmill, listening to music, and he’ll interrupt. I’ll be in the middle of a set of lifting free weights, and he’ll interrupt. When I ignore him, he’ll come within inches of me, waving his hands within inches of my face (which I ignore until he goes away). Or when I’m running, he’ll stand there and talk at me.

Would you just keep ignoring him, as eventually he’ll go away?

Would you tell him, “Leave me alone!”?

Would you ask his boss (the club’s general manager) to tell him not to interrupt people who are in the middle of workouts or listening to music?

Would you ask him and his boss for a meeting to discuss why I’m not allowed to work out, and ask for a refund of gym dues?

I’m thinking that I should keep ignoring him. It seems rude but that is better than telling him to leave me alone, I think. But ignoring him means that he’ll come within inches of my face when I’m running on the treadmill, waving his hands and talking at me, which is really disturbing.

Thanks.

Last edited by GSPNative; 10-23-2022 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 11:58 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,063,963 times
I’d tell him I can’t talk and workout at the same time. If that doesn’t do it and he continues I’d say, “I’ve told you I can’t work out and chat and you’ve ignored that. I need you to leave me alone when I’m exercising.” If it still continues then I’d go to the manager.

Just curious, are you male or female? Or one of the multitude of other choices?

Old 10-23-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I’d tell him I can’t talk and workout at the same time. If that doesn’t do it and he continues I’d say, “I’ve told you I can’t work out and chat and you’ve ignored that. I need you to leave me alone when I’m exercising.” If it still continues then I’d go to the manager.

Just curious, are you male or female? Or one of the multitude of other choices?
Thanks. I’m a guy.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:24 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Do you greet him and say "good morning" when you see him, or do you ignore him all the way? You can definitely set your boundaries that you don't want to talk while you're actively exercising, but he also seems to want to build a rapport with the clientele, so you can be cordial on your way in and out of the gym. If you haven't told him that you don't want to chat during your workout, he doesn't know that. You don't need to tattle on him just yet.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-23-2022 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-23-2022, 02:40 PM

23,321 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Do you greet him and say "good morning" when you see him, or do you ignore him all the way? You can definitely set your boundaries that you don't want to talk while you're actively exercising, but he also seems to want to build a rapport with the clientele, so you can be cordial on your way in and out of the gym. If you haven't told him that you don't want to chat during your workout, he doesn't know that. You don't need to tattle on him just yet.
This. Look, the details of the location may not be identical, but the situation isn't all that different from a workplace or some other space shared by multiple humans. For example: if I was continually being interrupted during my lunch break at work by someone who wants to socialize, I'd approach it in basically the same way. I would first assume that their intentions were good, but they simply don't realize they're intruding. Most people IME aren't mind readers. If I don't want to socialize, it is up to me to say something. OTOH, most people will get the message if I set them straight. Yes, there are people who are more clueless about their behavior than others so I may have to send the message more than once. Tell him your workout time is your chance to focus on yourself, no one else. For you it isn't social hour. Be civilly direct and be consistent. If he still doesn't get it after a couple of direct face to face explanations (not just in passing while doing something else...stop, give him your full attention), send a letter to the gym management requesting clarifications to employee/customer conduct. If that still doesn't work, find another gym and tell the management precisely why.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:30 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Are you the only one in the gym at that time of day? I'm wondering if he's bored, and is hijacking your workout time to provide himself with some company and entertainment.

The bit about asking for a refund because you're not being allowed to focus on your workout or do what you need to do to enjoy the experience (the music), is an interesting one. But post #2 has the right approach, I think. Similar to how disciplinary action works on the job: first a couple of warnings, then you escalate, taking the grievance to the next level. But give him a chance to correct his behavior, first.

....he is a "he", isn't he?

Old 10-23-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
....he is a "he", isn't he?
Thanks. We are both men.

I say hello but then walk away when he starts talking at me. I got trapped in a few conversations with him a year or two ago and he would talk at me for 15 minutes; ruining 1/4 of my workout hour.

When he’s waved his hand inches from my face (recently), I completely ignore it. I don’t ever start a conversation with him.

I thought that a universal gym signal was “if I’m wearing headphones, don’t talk to me”.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:48 PM

23,321 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Thanks. We are both men.

I say hello but then walk away when he starts talking at me. I got trapped in a few conversations with him a year or two ago and he would talk at me for 15 minutes; ruining 1/4 of my workout hour.

When he’s waved his hand inches from my face (recently), I completely ignore it. I don’t ever start a conversation with him.

I thought that a universal gym signal was “if I’m wearing headphones, don’t talk to me”.
By ignoring or walking away, you are leaving him guessing. You're avoiding giving him the response/hints he so obviously needs. There's an old saying about silence implying consent.

The next time he starts talking at you or waving in your face, SAY SOMETHING...

Excuse me, I'm on a tight schedule and need to get going on my workout...
Excuse me, but I really need to focus right now...
This is my time to focus on my fitness goals. I'd prefer not to socialize. Thanks for being understanding!

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-23-2022 at 04:39 PM..

Old 10-23-2022, 05:41 PM

Ok, thanks.

I figured that anyone who had any familiarity with a gym would know not to bother someone who is wearing earphones.

And I figured that anyone who started talking to someone who immediately walked away would get a hint.

And anyone who comes within inches of someone and waves hands in the person’s face and is totally ignored would know better.

I guess not. I will say something.

Old 10-23-2022, 06:23 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
It feels like there's more to the story here. Generally, yeah, it's a social norm to not talk to someone with headphones on, but it's also odd behavior to walk away from or not acknowledge someone who's trying to talk to you or get your attention. Even if you don't want to strike up a conversation, this isn't a stranger on the bus, this is an employee of a business you patronize regularly. Is he just making small talk, or is there something that he's trying to tell you, like you're using equipment improperly or taking too much time on the machine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness