Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 10:51 AM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahann25 View Post
I think some of the adults were probably turned on by naked youth, so they made those rules. Parents and children were more innocent and trusting then. Pedophilia wasn’t something people discussed.

I’m a senior and we were told by our female (probably lesbian) gym teacher that if we didn’t take a shower after class the highest grade we would receive would be a C. It was a threat, get naked and shower in front of me while I watch or get a lower grade.

I didn’t take showers, but hid out in the bathroom stall. It was intuitive to me (even at that young age) that the teacher was getting a thrill as she stood intently watching all those naked young girls running about. It was the look in her eyes and expression. She made me feel very uncomfortable, actually scared/creeped me out somewhat.
Hygiene is good for you, and so is nudity, learning not to be ashamed of yourself and learning not to let it bother you if someone looks. It's OK to look at someone and it's OK if they look at you. But they probably aren't looking at you more than anyone else. Not many people are that special.

Gym teachers might also have been told to look for signs of physical abuse in the showers.

It's as if Americans are more Puritanical now than ever.

Old 12-17-2022, 11:43 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Hygiene is good for you, and so is nudity, learning not to be ashamed of yourself and learning not to let it bother you if someone looks. It's OK to look at someone and it's OK if they look at you. But they probably aren't looking at you more than anyone else. Not many people are that special.

Gym teachers might also have been told to look for signs of physical abuse in the showers.

I agree and especially regarding the puritanical notion. Another observation is the fact that if men are portrayed naked or nearly naked in advertising/commercials it's pretty much always a black man. Rather bizarre considering they represent around 6% of the overall population, versus white men who make up 31% of the overall US population.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:58 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
I think some of the adults were probably turned on by naked youth, so they made those rules. Parents and children were more innocent and trusting then. Pedophilia wasn’t something people discussed.

I’m a senior and we were told by our female (probably lesbian) gym teacher that if we didn’t take a shower after class the highest grade we would receive would be a C. It was a threat, get naked and shower in front of me while I watch or get a lower grade.

I didn’t take showers, but hid out in the bathroom stall. It was intuitive to me (even at that young age) that the teacher was getting a thrill as she stood intently watching all those naked young girls running about. It was the look in her eyes and expression. She made me feel very uncomfortable, actually scared/creeped me out somewhat.
I highly doubt many adults were turned on by naked youth. I think physical education teachers thought the this was the only opportunity for some students to get showers. If you read any of the links that were posted. Typical comments were, "Early indoor swimming pools lacked of chlorination technology." Two of the indoor pools were I first started swimming were built in 1906 and 1916, The pool built in 1906 was a YMCA. My brother dropped a dark colored sock on the floor when he was changing one day. There was pool water on the floor and the sock got bleached out. It was a good idea to shower with soap after swimming in these pools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree and especially regarding the puritanical notion. Another observation is the fact that if men are portrayed naked or nearly naked in advertising/commercials it's pretty much always a black man. Rather bizarre considering they represent around 6% of the overall population, versus white men who make up 31% of the overall US population.
I've never noticed this that naked or nearly naked men in advertising/commercials are pretty much always black. Can you cite any examples?

Old 12-17-2022, 03:31 PM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Speaking of locker rooms and "old naked men", is it the same for women's locker rooms? Are adult and older women afraid to be seen by other women, or do they not care like most of the men?

I was very shy as a kid, and in school the locker rooms had showers but nobody ever showered after gym class. There wasn't enough time. Kids would go sweaty to the next class. I assumed they were only used by some of the sports teams after school. I dreaded the idea of being naked in front of anybody, even my parents (much to their annoyance on family vacations where we all shared a motel room). But as a young adult I was invited to a natural hot spring in a national forest, which was swimsuit optional, and once I realized that it was no big deal I got over my hangup very quickly, relaxed and enjoyed myself.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:39 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:

I think that you're probably right.

Old 12-17-2022, 05:32 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It was common practice. The high school locker room was one big stall shower with a couple dozen nozzles. Heck, even the dorm I was in my first year of college had community showers where about 20 guys could shower at once. Guys gym shorts were actually short as were swimsuits. We basically didn't think a second thought about a bunch of guys being the shower at the same time.

I think it was the 80s and the big fear of being thought of as "gay" that guys started to worry about being naked in a locker room and shorts suddenly dropped to knee length. Think about it. Now days if you see a guy running in shorty blue nylon shorts and no shirt, half the folks seeing him would think "gay." Back then it was just a guy jogging. Heck even in gym class that how they divided up teams -- shirts and skins.

My first couple of years in college we had community showers and bathrooms in the dorm - a line of shower heads, and a line of toilets with very poor quality toilet paper.

The last couple of years we moved to suites, where 4 rooms shared the same bathroom with one shower with a door and one toilet.

Nowadays most dorms that I know of have four-room suites with private bedrooms and each room has its own bathroom.

Old 12-17-2022, 07:04 PM

325 posts, read 56,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

It’s attitudes like yours that are allowing groomers and pedophiliacs to operate openly in schools. If you don’t think adults get turned on by naked children then you’re not paying attention to what’s going on in the world. Do some research. Jeffery Epstein was just one example.

It’s not okay for teachers to stare at naked young children with lustful eyes. I was there. There were no abused children in my class either. You’re just making excuses which allows bad behavior to flourish.

Old 12-17-2022, 07:09 PM

325 posts, read 56,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I highly doubt many adults were turned on by naked youth. I think physical education teachers thought the this was the only opportunity for some students to get showers. If you read any of the links that were posted. Typical comments were, "Early indoor swimming pools lacked of chlorination technology." Two of the indoor pools were I first started swimming were built in 1906 and 1916, The pool built in 1906 was a YMCA. My brother dropped a dark colored sock on the floor when he was changing one day. There was pool water on the floor and the sock got bleached out. It was a good idea to shower with soap after swimming in these pools.

I've never noticed this that naked or nearly naked men in advertising/commercials are pretty much always black. Can you cite any examples?
Lol. The excuses are out there. How many kids did you know growing up that couldn’t take showers? Even so, no child should ever be coerced into taking a shower while an adult watches. Children should have the right to privacy. It’s their body. It should be their choice.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:01 PM

257 posts, read 165,758 times
I just go home and take a shower cause you don't really get dirty at the gym.

Read someplace the whole shower after gym class thing started back when many people did not have running water at home so schools installed showers.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:10 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Sad to say this, but even talking to strangers in public has become abnormalized (or is it denormalized?) in my area, clothed or not. There are a few exceptions, most notably intoxicating bars or while walking your dog. Sometimes I feel envious of some other times and cultures where you could just go to town and strike up a conversation with a random person on the street.
That's still going on, especially when and where Covid restrictions loosen up. But even when masking was strictly enforced, people would chat in the grocery store. It was the only possibility they had during the high level restrictions in the first year of Covid, to talk to their fellow humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness