Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 07:12 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Speaking of weird..........
Well, not 24/7! Every couple days, through my whole life.

Old 12-21-2022, 02:00 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
So you won't think it is "weird" if say you are fully clothed in a locker room and some random guy with his junk hanging all out and exposed wants to have a conversation with you about last night's football game? Especially if he has his towel wrapped over his shoulder.
Not really, i am not uncomfortable with nudity, that´s it.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:09 AM

52 posts, read 40,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I guess it was the norm back then. I wondered why the girls didn't swim naked.
Heteronormativity.

Straight men see women as inherently sexual beings. It is impossible to separate female nudity from sex. Women must be modest and cover themselves up so they don't turn you on at a socially inappropriate time. On the other hand, since being a man means being the opposite of a woman, men's bodies are seen as silly and kinda gross. It doesn't matter if people see men naked, because men are sexually undesirable and utilitarian. Their bodies are essentially "invisible" in this way.

Straight women as a whole do not reciprocate those feelings toward men. Rather than being hyper-focused on their sexual desire FOR men, many of them are more concerned about being sexually desirable TO men. Therefore, men need not cover themselves up because women aren't usually looking at them the same way men look at women. And even when women do look at men, men are still the "aggressors" who are in control of their bodies (being vulnerable = being feminine, which is bad). Whereas when a man looks at a woman, she becomes the "object" who is subject to his gaze.

Old 12-23-2022, 02:02 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I have commented other places about this subject and I see others have as well.

My dad used to talk about swimming nude at the Y because of the filter system . He also swam nude in an irrigation canal . He did have to have tetanus shots every year .

I grew up having to take showers starting in 5th grade, stripping down and going into the big shower room and then being handed a towel as we exited. If you did not shower, you got swatted.

Now, I go to Planet Fitness and I strip down, take a towel in my hand and walk 8 steps to the shower. Finish , walk 8 steps with towel in my hand and go to locker and put on pants. . I don't "parade around" , stand around and talk for 15 minutes or more, shave or primp in the mirror naked. If guys don't like it, that is their problem . I work hard to look decent and therefore not ashamed of my body . If guys don't like it, don't look . Until I am told otherwise, that is my regiment.

Old 12-24-2022, 04:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,026 times
I appreciate that some people may be totally fine with not even having a towel on in a locker room, but (1) simply throwing a towel around one’s middle is not difficult and (2) courtesy means trying to behave in a way that avoids bothering others.

So since it’s so easy to throw on a towel, just please do it.

Yes, I can look away, and do, but sometimes seeing things that you don’t want to see is unavoidable. Yes, you, the guy who was talking about Broadway shows, very loudly, in the locker room today as I was trying to change. I finally just picked up my clothes and gym bag and went elsewhere, but only after you had paraded around without a towel, which I couldn’t avoid seeing.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:44 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
There could always be the possibility that an individual is an exhibitionist if the nudity is gratuitous. There have been at least two or three males that I thought it was enough already cover up.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:22 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
There could always be the possibility that an individual is an exhibitionist if the nudity is gratuitous. There have been at least two or three males that I thought it was enough already cover up.
I've been saying this too. There is an enormous difference between getting undressed and having a conversation while at your locker (even though as a normal human being one would think you'd put on your underwear/pants while talking.....crazy talk, I know) and actively walking around totally nude and doing all sorts of activities while nude. That's just exhibitionism. You all can talk about being in the military, swimming nude at the Y back in 1923, etc......but it boils down to a very odd fetish for these guys. They enjoy being nude and flaunting it and it must turn them on at some level to do it. There is a whole subculture dedicated to this very behavior (see: nudist colonies/beaches).

O D D

Old 12-27-2022, 08:34 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I've been saying this too. There is an enormous difference between getting undressed and having a conversation while at your locker (even though as a normal human being one would think you'd put on your underwear/pants while talking.....crazy talk, I know) and actively walking around totally nude and doing all sorts of activities while nude. That's just exhibitionism. You all can talk about being in the military, swimming nude at the Y back in 1923, etc......but it boils down to a very odd fetish for these guys. They enjoy being nude and flaunting it and it must turn them on at some level to do it. There is a whole subculture dedicated to this very behavior (see: nudist colonies/beaches).

O D D
This^^^**

Old 12-28-2022, 05:19 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
The acceptance of public nudity comes and goes through the ages. Roman baths, anyone?

All the boys in Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer's day just stripped naked to go swimming. It was SOP. Hot summer day? Lake or river nearby? Go.
Ditto skinny dipping in my father's generation of the early 20th century. It was no big deal. You don't want to walk around in wet clothes.

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-cu...thtime-1442204

Old 12-28-2022, 05:25 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
The acceptance of public nudity comes and goes through the ages. Roman baths, anyone?

All the boys in Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer's day just stripped naked to go swimming. It was SOP. Hot summer day? Lake or river nearby? Go.
Ditto skinny dipping in my father's generation of the early 20th century. It was no big deal. You don't want to walk around in wet clothes.

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-cu...thtime-1442204
We are in the 21st century now so what was once accepted isn’t nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness