Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 04:07 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,292,077 times

Advertisements

I've bruised ribs from falling off of my horse a couple of times. It's very painful and in my case took about 6 weeks to completely resolve. There was also a fair amount of stiffness and temporary mobility limitations that as a result of the falls too. It just takes time to recover, be kind to yourself and rest up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 04:55 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,260,138 times
Your riding accident is a typical scenario of breaking a rib (or two or more) in a spiral fracture.

The only way to verify such a fracture is by an x-ray. These types of fractures can be so slight that they don't show up on an x-ray right after the accident. The radiologist can spot them after a few days when they see the healing line of the rib(s) fracture area.

This type of fracture does not always produce a swelling or bruising, but it take take months for the rib to knit back together and the pain/sensitivity to go away.

Unfortunately, there is usually little that a Dr can do for this type of injury except advise you to minimize the movements that aggravate the rib area pain and wait for the fracture to heal up.

You can help promote the healing process by supplementing with vitamins/minerals. IMO, it's best to consult with your ND, DO, or DC for their recommendations to help your recovery. In my experience with a similar injury, the MD Orthopod wasn't any help as he had no nutritional training.

Old 02-13-2023, 05:08 PM

574 posts, read 269,382 times
I broke 7 ribs in one motorcycle accident. 5 on one side, 2 on the other.

Usually the doc cannot do much for you, unless the ribs are smashed they won't operate. They will verify you don't have a Hemothorax and give you a spirometer + pain meds.

For me, it took 2-3 weeks for 7 ribs to stop hurting. I declined the pain meds, I did use the spirometer to prevent pneumonia.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:42 PM

25,631 posts, read 17,373,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian Bourgeois View Post
Listener2307, did it hurt to the touch?
Yeah. I could put my finger right on the spot. It was sort of a press-and-yell spot.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:57 PM

574 posts, read 269,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. I could put my finger right on the spot. It was sort of a press-and-yell spot.
When I broke my ribs, the worst part was going from a laying position to an upright position. For the first 1-2 weeks the pain was very intense. It did bring me close to tears a few times having to go to the toilet suddenly while sleeping. It was very intense.

But I'm glad i didn't use pain meds. Pain builds character.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:59 PM

7,036 posts, read 4,920,529 times
You can do weird things falling off a horse. I bailed on one that was running away with me and pulled my hamstring muscle. I limped from July through October.

Years later I fell off a horse and hit the ground so hard I couldn't talk clearly. It took a few minutes before my mouth worked again. Plus my tailbone forever after went south by southwest.

A week later, it was even more fun when I went to riding a 14 hand mare from riding a 15.2 hand mare. I went to throw my leg over the saddle and literally threw myself over the horse's back and off the other side, only to land on my tailbone again.

I had to take a few weeks off at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
When I broke my ribs, the worst part was going from a laying position to an upright position. For the first 1-2 weeks the pain was very intense. It did bring me close to tears a few times having to go to the toilet suddenly while sleeping. It was very intense.

But I'm glad i didn't use pain meds. Pain builds character.
And constant pain builds crabby character. LOL

Old 02-14-2023, 10:59 AM

7,151 posts, read 12,702,380 times
Yeah, I got thrown a fair distance in a riding ring while taking English riding lessons (should have stuck to Western) when the horse bolted then slung her body around when she reached the fence...she launched me like a frisbee.

Messed up my hip and back for quite some time. Now, years later, one hip is higher than the other. So I guess my entire body got whacked out of alignment. Nothing broken. I figured I was bruised internally....

No more riding for me. Especially on rent-a-horse.

Old 02-14-2023, 12:20 PM

18,739 posts, read 33,452,873 times
I got bucked off in a Western lesson at the canter. Turns out the horse had developed arthritis in one knee and was in pain and hadn't been diagnosed yet. Hey, they're big and they're spooky. I'm done!

Old 02-14-2023, 01:08 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,057,227 times
I've been thrown off a horse several times and always followed up with x-rays afterwards if there was any pain involved.

My cracked ribs healed without complication but another incident, with injury to my shoulder, led to lasting discomfort.

Old 02-14-2023, 01:43 PM

18 posts, read 16,084 times
I was never nervous riding until I hit around 54 yrs old; thought I would stick to horses that I trust (relative I know) and this horse I really trusted - but any horse can spook. I was on a loose rein just starting out before my lesson when the wind made a noise against the indoor arena and he spun, took off and threw me like a ragdoll. It happened so fast I didn't have time to react. I can usually sit a buck but this one was beyond my skills. Sorry to hear about all your experiences - especially those with the long lasting effects :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness